I know the word, but i forget what it means. I think it has something to do with which note(s) are emphasized on a scale/mode/whatever. is that right? if not, the wtf is it?! lol.
the "tonic" i beleive is the first note of the scale
Quote by Preid
plants are basicly sex organs on stems, pollen is airbourn jizzum.

So all us hayfever suffers are allergic to plant jizz...
The other notes of the scale are

1 - tonic
2 - supertonic
3 - mediant
4 - subdominant
5 - dominant
6 - submediant
7 - leading note
8 - Tonic (again...this is occasionally called the octave to show it is intended to be played an octave higher but is the same note)
The leading tone is only if its a regular 7 (a half step under the tonic) and not a b7, if a natural minor scale doesn't have the leading tone, the harmonic minor however does.
the tonic is what your song or scale resolves to, the tonic is where you usually finish a song or scale on.

like if i have a simple progression like G-C-G-D-then .........you guessed it G. this progression resolves to G, the tonic.

it would sound incomplete if you stop on D or C in that progression, however if you stop the song on D then it would sound like your next song is in the key of D.(at least to me it does )
Quote by yawn
^ Isn't that leading tone?

My theory book says it's a leading note... i've geard it called a leading note by lots of people including the professor of music at cambridge...maybe it's a england vs American thing like harbour
well, there are cases of a melody note resolving to the root note, right? so...what's up with that? like, i KNOW a melody can do that so wouldn't that change the definition of the tonic. but thatnks tho, now i get what the word is.
Quote by doive
My theory book says it's a leading note... i've geard it called a leading note by lots of people including the professor of music at cambridge...maybe it's a england vs American thing like harbour
Oooh yeah. Actually, my music theory teacher told me that.

"If for some odd random reason you decide to move to England, just know that they'll be using the term 'leading note' and not 'leading tone'."

Random.
Tonic = Root

Usually a song ends here or on the 6th of a scale.

Dont Look Back In Anger = Ends on Tonic

A few chillies songs end on the 6th e.g. this velvet glove i think anyway