i recently heard this expression and it got me thinking and i've decided that's exactly what i'm - not missing, per se - but lacking to the optimal degree. So, i'd like anyone's help/tips/link for learning how to think melodically when i'm writing songs and solos especially. i know an okay amount of theory and am pretty good with scales, but i feel this area is needing some spice. help me out? thanks in advance.
I'm not telling you to attempt this or anything, but marijuana that isn't like, INSANELY POTENT, will motivate you to think more melodically. If its too potent, your not motivated to really do anything but lay low.
Do you need to know, like, how melodies work with chords or something? Or even just chord progressions? Or just to think of a good tune, or what? Well, the music that you listen to is important. If someone listens to like...white noise all their life...you know, it';s bound to have an effect. What kind of music do you listen to?
If melody isn't coming naturally to you, why not try thinking more about chords. Play simple progressions and try to create an accompanying melody. The chords underneath should give you new ideas and force you to create a logical melody. Try out different scales over the appropriate chords and you'll soon hear how certain intervals sound better than others in a simple melody.
Quote by highway2hell999
What The Hell Is Bong-water????????????????????????????????
YEAH, A BABY!
Try to sing a melody and play along with the same melody on your guitar. It gets you away from thinking about patterns on the fretboard and emphasizes playing more melodic phrases.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
It's really as simple as singing a random tune on the fly. Just a little thing you can whistle that isn't any song in particualr. I do this often and more often then all melodies tend to be in a major key. When you sing a particular melody you like, don't hesitate to figure out on guitar. All my favorite stuff I've written where done with this method.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by wasp2020
Do you need to know, like, how melodies work with chords or something? Or even just chord progressions? Or just to think of a good tune, or what? Well, the music that you listen to is important. If someone listens to like...white noise all their life...you know, it';s bound to have an effect. What kind of music do you listen to?

metal. heavy, thrash/speed, metalcore, and some death is what i'm apllying this to. i try to be as melodic as i can, but it seems my rhythmic sense is always the same when writing solos for my songs and so i was looking to change that. for bands, like: metallica, beyond the embrace, avenged sevenfold, unearth, killswitch engage, as i lay dying, system of a down, it dies today, and lots more that i don't feel like listing. so, yeah. that should answer your question, i'd think.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
i recently heard this expression and it got me thinking and i've decided that's exactly what i'm - not missing, per se - but lacking to the optimal degree. So, i'd like anyone's help/tips/link for learning how to think melodically when i'm writing songs and solos especially. i know an okay amount of theory and am pretty good with scales, but i feel this area is needing some spice. help me out? thanks in advance.

Keep your hands off your instrument and keep it out of arms reach, make sure you are surrounded by complete silence, then allow the music that?s been buried in the deep storehouses of your mind (resulting from years of musical bombardment) to work its way to the surface. And then you just might discover all kinds of beautiful melodies.
If it can't withstand the heat of a billion suns then it's worthless
Electric Church
yeah dude that totally works for me, no more listening to music for a couple of days and no more playing either, everything will just flow out. humming melodies will help you think of progressions as well as leads, so try to use other ways of composing stuff besides sitting on your guitar when you're too tempted to shred or w/e you feel like doing that'll distract you.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
thank you, that makes sense. and i have done that, where i come back to guitar after a couple days, and i've composed some of the best tunes i've ever done, so...that must work. that little meditating one sounds interesting tho. sometimes the best melodies and licks i just need to let come to the surface without forcing it, i suppose. thanks to all, and if anyone has more advice keep it coming.