I'm looking to buy a marshall halfstack. I dont want to buy a mg series, but i dont want a 3000 dollar stack (if possible). Whats the 2 cheapest marshall tube heads and what cab would go the best with them. I dont need effects on it. Thanks alot!

Edit: i currently have a avt150 and avt412 cab
"We could only wonder what he would have accomplished is his life hadn't ended so early"

----Randy Rhoads----
Last edited by rockerjustin666 at Jul 15, 2006,
y only marshall? i sounds like you are choosing based on looks
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
because i play a AVT150 and i want to sell it for a tube because ive heard there beter
"We could only wonder what he would have accomplished is his life hadn't ended so early"

----Randy Rhoads----
im thinking jcm2000 lead 100 head ($1300) and 1960A cab ($650), does anyone think that is good?

----Randy Rhoads----
i reckon a dsl 50 with marshall 1960AV cab man. this cabinet has 70watt vintage g12 speakers man. way more low end and tight bass response than a standard 1960a or b.

i say dsl 50. this amp has enough headroom for clean, and really, a 100watt british tube amp is really overkill because you cant saturate the power amp without a powerbrake, which takes some of your top end off.

a ds 50 can saturate a lot quicker giving you that open power amp distortion sound which is marshall

your probably looking around 2000 new for that setup. i love mine, but i have both 1960 av and bv cabs, and ir retubed with groove tube el34s.
god created metal. please do not associate satan with metal. Metal is good. pop music and techno are sinful and dirty vices and should be forbidden. Satan gave us this for us all to cringe at and get headaches!
well, the dsl 50 is probably the cheapest for new. Or a jcm800 second hand.

But why stick to marshall? what's your budget? and what music do you play?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I think you'd be better off to expand your options a bit. Marshall's are good, but since your price range is so limited, you might be better off to go for some different.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
maybe he wants to stick with marshall because he likes the marshall tone.

go used buddy. you could save a lot of money.
Go to a shop, play a load of valve amps and see what you think of them, get 'em cranked too, that should get you the idea of how much better they are.

And widen your search, don't just go for Marshall.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by jpetrucci5655
maybe he wants to stick with marshall because he likes the marshall tone.

go used buddy. you could save a lot of money.

Er because hes in love with the little white Marshall logo...and since he plays an AVT he shouldnt have a good sense of real Marshall tone. No offense er anything btw lol.

But dude...just because you HEARD tubes are better doesnt mean you need to go spending 2 grand on a HALF STACK. A good combo will be just as loud...cheaper...and sound better more than likely.
^

but if you want expandability for your future needs, a head and cab are the way to go. I have a DSL 50 and a Marshal "1936" 2X12 cab. the cab was bought used for $600 (Canadian), and the head was bought new for about $1500.

It's a pretty good setup for a couple of reasons:

1. Because it's a 50-watt amp and not the usual 100 watts, i can crank the volume a bit higher and get the tubes warmer, without destroying the audience's eardrums. I still usually have about 4 notches to spare on the volume, so 50 watts is definitely loud enough to play gigs with.

2. The 2X12 is much light than a 4X12 cab, and a bit shorter, so it's pretty easy to move it around.

I recommend the DSL 50 to you, because it's an incredibly versatile rock amp. You've got two channels with two modes each, ranging from classic Marshall clean to fairly heavy distortion (as much distortion as anyone could need, unless you play thrash metal), a tone shift switch, a deep switch, and a very convenient effect loop. I find it goes best with a Les Paul-style guitar, and works pretty well with a strat too. I play stuff in a wide range of tones, and this amp has yet to disappoint me.
i bought my marshall JTM 60 head used for $450, and a mesa boogie cab for $500. the head is 100 watts so its dam loud, and i love the tone i can get out of it, does classic rock great, i can even dial in some metal if i want. great amp if you ask me. you just have to look carefully, look on ebay, or go to your local stores and see what they have.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I would suggest looking elsewhere for cabs...these days marshall isn't known for their cabs.

Look at Orange.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

or mesa

or be cool and build your own
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
Er because hes in love with the little white Marshall logo...and since he plays an AVT he shouldnt have a good sense of real Marshall tone. No offense er anything btw lol.

im talking about all the artists who use marshall. you dont get a mesa boogie to get an iron maiden tone.
i can think of a few players whose marshall tone can be clearly heard and enjoyed. page, rhoads, blah blah.
i think everyone knows the marshall tone just by comparing classic bands from the 70s and 80s to todays bands (most of the use recifiers). im far from saying the rectifiers are bad btw.

marshall is da shizzle anyways. screw the logo.
Last edited by jpetrucci5655 at Jul 16, 2006,
yep

mesa boogies are good, but i bit modern for my taste, marshall all the way
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Hey man dont listen to them go for a halfstack =). Its better to have more than you need than to have less. BLAH BLAH BLAH I CANT HEAR YOUR FLAMES! just go on ebay and find used, an amp cant really go bad, and marks and scratches dont make it sound worse, you just probably need to put new toobs
Quote by jpetrucci5655
im talking about all the artists who use marshall. you dont get a mesa boogie to get an iron maiden tone.
i can think of a few players whose marshall tone can be clearly heard and enjoyed. page, rhoads, blah blah.
i think everyone knows the marshall tone just by comparing classic bands from the 70s and 80s to todays bands (most of the use recifiers). im far from saying the rectifiers are bad btw.

marshall is da shizzle anyways. screw the logo.

OOOhh ok. Yeah that makes sense...but none of us know for sure if he's going for the sound or the name.

Well...I have the best of both worlds I guess...both Mesa and Marshall. And I love them both to death.
id go for a combo unless your planning on playing lots of gigs. a combo has plenty of volume, plus if you want more you can just stick an ext cab underneath it. iv got a dsl401 and i love it
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
OOOhh ok. Yeah that makes sense...but none of us know for sure if he's going for the sound or the name.

Well...I have the best of both worlds I guess...both Mesa and Marshall. And I love them both to death.

but it's true that the TS has not specified which of our 2 analisies (sp?) was the one he lived by.
Last edited by jpetrucci5655 at Jul 16, 2006,
Quote by Epiphany
look into genz-benz man, i played on one the other day and it was incredible..

ditto, and +1.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm....Well, if you want a Marshall tone then perhaps you should give Traynor amps a look. I have a YCV50 Blue. It sounds a lot like a JCM800 only with warmer cleans and a little more gain (and it's voiced a little darker). It has 2 channels, a bright switch, and a gain boost. It also comes with a footswitch and it's 50 watts all-tube. It's a really great amp, and at $750 US, it's a great bargain. Traynor are also coming out with a new 3-channel 100 watt amp head that could be worth checking out.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-50BLUE-YCV50BLUE-50W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489075

EDIT: I see that you live in Canada. I got mine for $800 Cad (+tax ). They are pretty common and easy to find here.
Last edited by nic_2090 at Jul 16, 2006,
Marshall tone to me is JTM45 tone.
I think your looking for more modern marshall tone.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Blinded0n1sidE

But dude...just because you HEARD tubes are better doesnt mean you need to go spending 2 grand on a HALF STACK. A good combo will be just as loud...cheaper...and sound better more than likely.

Im sorry but i dont buy amps because there logos. I dont care for mesa, because there not for my style. The other amp i was considering was the 6505 halfstack but i didnt care for the clean when i played it. I really like the tone of the marshall i have. I dont play super heavy metal, i usually play light rock - hard rock - metal. My main influence is Ac/dc. Trust me ive put alot of thought into this not jus because the "little white marshall logo"

Ok i have a new question, is there a huge difference between the jcm2000 DSL 50 and the DSL 100? I might save the money and get the DSL50 as long as its not too quite....

----Randy Rhoads----
The DSL100 will be a fair bit louder than the DSL50, but the 50 will still have plenty of volume for gigs. Don't bother considering the Peavey 6505. It's a good amp, but if you want to play AC/DC, then it's not what you're after. The DSL50 should be a good amp for you.
k because thats wut i was worried about is that if i get the dsl50, it will be to quiet at gigs considering the other guitarist has a 150watt solid state stack.....

----Randy Rhoads----
Quote by rockerjustin666
k because thats wut i was worried about is that if i get the dsl50, it will be to quiet at gigs considering the other guitarist has a 150watt solid state stack.....

50 watts tube is equal to about 125 watts solid-state volume wise.
o ok then thats what ill do, thank you very much

----Randy Rhoads----
hmmm it depends on what tone your going for, i have a jcm800 2210 i love and a TSL100 i love but the tsl has that extra channel so it gets alot of live use, but the jcm800 is easily the most versitle amp ever