Hey guys, I have been playing about 9 months and I am trying to increase my speed, especially with fast down-stroke palm muting, but I find as soon as I attempt to play something at about the Master Of Puppets verse riff speed, I start out with the right tempo but then I begin to tense up and I lose it. I know what the answer is, RELAX! But as much as I try to, I always seem to do the same thing, tensing up the muscles in my picking arm. Has anyone else had this problem? how do you overcome it? Any help much appreciated.
Oldest member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991" Club!. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
^but alternate picking in something like that riff i mentioned doesn't sound anywhere near as good as just downstrokes. I should rephrase myself also, I use my wrist to pick, that's not the problem, the problem is my bicep tenses up and in turn slows my wrist down (i don't know how, it just does).
Oldest member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991" Club!. PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.
Metronome.. Play to a Metronome..
Don't Sacrifice a Tree for the whole forest

Quote by jsxxx
just stroke up and down and experiment...find what feels right.
their right, dont use your arm. its all wrist.

master of puppets is all downpicking, so just practice with a metronome. start off slow and progressively increase the speed of the metronome. it will take some time, but soon you will get it down.
Jesus Rules

SLAM DANCE
I'm sorry. But, you guys saying "it's all in the wrist" probably need to take a look
at your own picking.

Shoulder, upper arm, elbow, lower arm, wrist, fingers are ALL involved in making the
right picking motion. You neglect any of those at your own risk of having them
tense up and hamper your picking.

Probably the best place to start is to learn control of the pick with elbow motion
only. That's generally the number one spot that gets ignored and tensed. Once
you get the hang of that move on to the wrist. Your elbow needs to be really
relaxed and capable of moving from string to string for good fast fluid picking.
Quote by edg
I'm sorry. But, you guys saying "it's all in the wrist" probably need to take a look
at your own picking.

Shoulder, upper arm, elbow, lower arm, wrist, fingers are ALL involved in making the

Probably the best place to start is to learn control of the pick with elbow motion
relaxed and capable of moving from string to string for good fast fluid picking.

its all in the wrist. try to rest your arm and just use your wrist to pick.
Quote by edg
at your own picking.

Correct.

IT IS NOT all in the wrists. Your elbow needs to be in a comfortable position which is mostly at a 90 degree angle.

How low is your guitar strap?
If it is to low then your elbow angle is too great, likewise if it is too high then you are playing like Johny Cash.

The wrist also has a major role, but it isn't ALL in thr wrists. When you play MOP,make sure your wrist is moving not your entire arm.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
just relax n dont think abotu it,use a metronome,i used 2 hate that thing but when i started using every so often it helps
It's gonna take a lot of practice before you will be able to play eight and a half minutes of Master of Puppets without tensing up.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Play the riff at a very slow tempo to start with, keep it going very slow for a full minute... then gradually bring it faster, faster, faster, up to speed... hold it here for just a little bit... then bring it back down slower, slower, slower... and rest. Repeat. As you continue to do this, you will find that you will be able to hold the "up to speed" tempo with ease!

Doing this with any riff will increase overall endurance. and yes, When practicing without all the altering speed mentioned above, the metrenome is your friend.
Quote by edg
at your own picking.

I really have to semi disagree with you

It?s not all in the wrist it also extends into the forearm.
Personally I have no problem keeping my arm still an relaxed unless strumming (even then it does not require much of the arm) but that is off topic we are talking about picking.

I think you are getting into more of the performing aspect and not just the sitting back with the ole' guitar and playing a tune.

Take stevie ray he used his whole body to play but that is passion and probably not how he would play at home just fooling around.

anyways to answer your question you are probably trying to play it too fast... take it slow and then keep moving faster and faster
you'll get dont worry
Quote by incubus7130
I really have to semi disagree with you

It’s not all in the wrist it also extends into the forearm.
Personally I have no problem keeping my arm still an relaxed unless strumming (even then it does not require much of the arm) but that is off topic we are talking about picking.

I think you are getting into more of the performing aspect and not just the sitting back with the ole' guitar and playing a tune.

Take stevie ray he used his whole body to play but that is passion and probably not how he would play at home just fooling around.

anyways to answer your question you are probably trying to play it too fast... take it slow and then keep moving faster and faster
you'll get dont worry

No, I'm not talking about the performing aspect at all.

Probably the number 1 picking problem is awareness and playing only from the wrist.
If that's all you're focused on, chances are you have tension in the rest of the
arm. It may net feel like tension because you become used to it.

When I pick, I try and keep aware of my shoulder on down. I will use elbow motion
particularly when moving string to string and sweeping. Not much is needed (think
of a long lever where the end only has to move a small amount), but it is there.
Wrist is blended in as needed.
How long does it take to know without looking where the strings are when your playing, on harder riffs where you are constantly moving strings every note or so, i have to look at my picking hand to know what to do....until i know the song of by heart. But i would just like to be able to play constantly from the beginning of learning a song. (playing nearly a year now).
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
I have a lot of trouble down picking in master of puppets, I just cant get it fast enough. Should I just build speed like you said?
YES!!!!!

Practice is very important, start at lower speeds on the metronome and SLOWLY build up.