Hi, i've been playing guitar for about half a year now and i'm still getting alot of pain in my fingers when playing songs with alot of bends and such. i can only play till it hurts so bad its not fun playing anymore, and thats like after 1 hour and i would like to play 3+ hours. i have calluses but it just doesnt help...

what to do
PSN name = Barmanation
Are you pressing down a bit too hard? And what strings do you use? Tune your guitar down a bit, that's what I do sometimes and it helps a bit. But then again I'm just starting out and I don't even have callouses. Yet.
Yeah, you probably just play to hard. If you're using stupidly thin strings like 8s then try moving to 10s; if you get the pains when bending n stuff and you're using heavy strings try 9s or 8s.
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
One item I always used was Vegetable oil. You take a cloth, soak it with some oil, and lube over the strings, fretboard, and the back of the neck. It feels so much better. Course, does'nt matter what oil you use, Vegetable is just what I always have on hand. You can also buy actual lubricant spray at most guitar shops. It feels good on the fingers, makes it way easier to play faster, and prolongs string life. In the end, keep playing, it takes some months to build up good callouses.
Squire Strat
Line 6 30 Watt Amp
No effects, all evil....
Big problem with most people is they play with light gauge strings and press down to hard...learn to play lighter (which can help with speed) or buy heavier gauge strings.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top w/ Seymour Duncans
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top w/ Dimarzios
Peavey Windsor Halfstack
MXR Distortion III
Dunlop Jazz 3 picks (Red)
DR Tite-fit 10's
Monster Cables
okay thanks guys, i have 9's right now btw and i think im pressing down to hard, if the problem is still there i will buy some oil =) thanks again
PSN name = Barmanation
Quote by Taco Wallace
One item I always used was Vegetable oil. You take a cloth, soak it with some oil, and lube over the strings, fretboard, and the back of the neck. It feels so much better. Course, does'nt matter what oil you use, Vegetable is just what I always have on hand. You can also buy actual lubricant spray at most guitar shops. It feels good on the fingers, makes it way easier to play faster, and prolongs string life. In the end, keep playing, it takes some months to build up good callouses.

roughly how much for a bottle of it? how big is it?
:stickpoke It's Alive! AHHHHHHH!!!!
pac-man ate my stash

Founder of ZOSO Jimmy Page Fan Club __PM me to join

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
I'd never be able to use oil on friggin strings. You'd have to wash your hands every time you finish playing. And it wouldn't do anything to help develop your fingers.
If you play regularly about 1 hour a day then your fingers should be strong enough.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Quote by Taco Wallace

You soak your neck in oil...?
Agile Al-3000 prestige, Carvin V3 half stack, Fender 75, Line 6 spider 112, roland microcube, JT serpent, JT Sg Custom, Washburn D-100, PODXTL, Monster Powerconditioner, George L's cords
ALL MY POSTS ARE *MY OPINION* GO HOME TROLLS!
Quote by brandonian
dude...i'd never get vegetable oil anywhere near my guitar....yuck

Ha, well, I'd have never considered it either, but really it helps. Yes, it's not the greatest smelling junk, actually I prefer Canola Oil, or PAM due to the delightfully uplifting aerosol odor, but I got nothing but vegetable oil currently. Umm.....the actual lube spray is better in any case, but I don't get down to the shop to buy it often enough.

Come to think of it.....I never bring money to buy it.....fancy that.

Quote by Pride _And_Joy
roughly how much for a bottle of it? how big is it?

I'm guessing you want the lube spray, not veggie oil. Well, the can I got...ok, this was like a year ago, but they should still sell em, but it's about 3 or 4 ounce bottle, about $5 depending on where you buy it from. Called Finger-Ease, google it and you'll find it. Course, Veggie oil is $3 for two pounds, hence a sign at my frugality or cheapery, depending on viewpoint.
Squire Strat
Line 6 30 Watt Amp
No effects, all evil....
Last edited by Taco Wallace at Jul 20, 2006,