Alright...so me and another friend have been talking about starting up a band for a long time now. It's me on guitar and my friend on bass. We're having trouble finding a drummer and another guitarist, but that's not the point. I told my best friend about it and now he wants to sing for us...but he can't sing. Is singing something you can learn? If not I've been thinking about leaving this "band" and joining another one where they're looking for a bassist and another guitar. But if singing is something you can learn then I'd like to stick with what I've got going and find a drummer and eventually another guitar, but if not...I'm torn.
well, it's important that he is able to actually hit the note exactly and sing in key, cause i don't think he'll ever learn that if he can't do that now. if his problem is bad sounding voice or he just can't sing high enough, then that's something that can be learned and improved by practice...
he'll probably never be amazing, but it'll be fine...
Last edited by 666_Belial at Jul 15, 2006,
anyone can sing. it just needs to fit ur sound.

greatest bands :

nirvana: kurt cobain could not sing, he sounded good because of the grungy sound and his voice was rough

gnr: axl screeched like a girl, and was one of the best frontmen of a band ever

metallica: hetfield couldnt sing as such, but his voice was powerful

even bands like soad with amazing vocals fronts sound pretty mediocre on there own, daron doesnt sound that good and serj sounds ok, but when they sing together its magic

go for the vocalist
Um well you can 'learn' to sing but you generally need some kind of lessons with a vocal coach which is damned expensive. In the meantime this 'singer' is gonna be making a terrible racket and no-one's gonna want to give you a gig. I auditioned for a band recently and though the band was good, the singer was arse so I 'politely declined' their offer to join. Don't just ask him to sing because he's your best mate - its just gonna be ten times harder to get rid of him if he doesn't improve and it'll probably hurt your friendship. Hope this helps...
Zed: Bring out the Gimp.
Maynard: But the Gimp's sleeping.
Zed: Well, I guess you better go and wake him up then...
Quote by #_TheTaWaVeS_#
anyone can sing. it just needs to fit ur sound.

greatest bands :

nirvana: kurt cobain could not sing, he sounded good because of the grungy sound and his voice was rough

gnr: axl screeched like a girl, and was one of the best frontmen of a band ever

metallica: hetfield couldnt sing as such, but his voice was powerful

even bands like soad with amazing vocals fronts sound pretty mediocre on there own, daron doesnt sound that good and serj sounds ok, but when they sing together its magic

go for the vocalist
You, sir, are a dumbass.

One thing is knowing how to sing, and the other is having a good voice.

So, how's his voice?
Have you guys recorded him singing with one of your songs (or a song you've played). If not try that first before you judge how bad of a singer he is. I'm not great but everyone thinks i am when i sing with music going. And if he still sounds bad, say no in a loving but firm manner.
Last edited by cool#9 at Jul 15, 2006,
you always feel pretty bad telling ur friend that they can't sing well and that u don't want them in your band. but the concequence of not doing it is that u have to play through sessions in which u cringe and express worried looks with your drummer. and the longer u leave it the worse it will get to ditch him. but i havent heard this guy so i can't really judge it. but just take that advice!
Alright, thanks guys. I don't have any recordings of him singing but when we're playing a song he'll either sing really quietly or pretend something is wrong with the mike. I don't know if it's shyness or him covering up for not being able to sing. I'm most likely gonna tell him to either sing or I'm leaving.