I know that different woods give a different tone that alder gives a full tone etc. etc.

But why?

surely all the sound comes out of the pickups and the pickups work on a principal of electomagnetic induction. as wood has no magnetic field how does this affect the tone that comes out of the pickups.. it clearly does because you can hear the difference but why?
just a difference in resonance, sound is resonating stuff(not just air also anything materialistic) some materials are stronger resonating in the midrange and some better in the higher ranges
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
i think its something to do wiht resonation, like if u use a tuning key or differnt things it will vibrate longer and such, like denser woods have a different sound
PSN: Noverion
Quote by doive
I know that different woods give a different tone that alder gives a full tone etc. etc.

But why?

surely all the sound comes out of the pickups and the pickups work on a principal of electomagnetic induction. as wood has no magnetic field how does this affect the tone that comes out of the pickups.. it clearly does because you can hear the difference but why?

If your talking about pick ups, it is to do with the amount of windings that produces the field, therefore the more windings, the greater the flux density around the coil therfore a greater tone. (However too many windings is detrimental and decreases tone).

Also, it depends on the electronics of the guitar, cheap pots = not so good tone. Good pots = nicer sound. [If I have made any mistakes here please point them out lol, its been a long time since I have done electronics and magnetism]

In acoustics, it depends on the wood due to the resonance of the woods. Different woods have different properties therefore resonate differently.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
well, the heavier the wood, the longer it resonates, and the heavier the sound. that's why so many punkish-heavier bands use les pauls, because they're made of mahogany and mahogany is a heavy wood. hope that helped a little, at least.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I know that different woods resonate different amounts..i'm not ignorant

I just wondered how the pickups recieve this resonance and transfer it into the tone you hear