Page 1 of 2
title basically explains it. what are your favorite songs to cover while playing live, and why? this is basically inspired by a show last night, where my new acoustic-rock band type thingy covered david ford's "state of the union." its an amazing song that just builds up musically, and is fun as hell to play. it also has some great lyrics to it. there is one line that goes "clever old men are all that and all this and/they will talk and they will talk but they won't ****ing listen." that got a great reaction from the crowd, and they really got into it.
with my old band, my favorite cover was dream on. to just here the entire venue singing along with the "sing with me" part-its an amazing feeling. and we also had a singer who could do the falsetto screams without sounding like a dousche. so what are your fav. songs to cover, and why?

(also check out david ford on youtube if you get a chance, he is one talented motha****a)
Bad Religion - American Jesus!!!
Drugs are good, they let you do things that you know you not
should.
And when you do 'em people think that you're cool.
And when you do 'em people think that you're cool.
baba orielly is a really fun one.. our keys guy has a synth patch for the intro, plus we kinda do it a little like the pearl jam version.. where they play the intro synth thing on guitar. It sounds so freaking good.
Some kind of monster (Metallica) was a hell of alot of fun to cover, the riff at the start got the crowd completely wild.
Quote by I-AM-NOT-GOD
what is 'having your carrot skinned'? surely it must be painful, having your penis flayed?

'I love you so much it makes me sick'

Wanna listen to some chilled out, slightly depressing acoustic music?? --------> www.myspace.com/theriftplasticband
^Amen.

I like to do Hotel Yorba by the White Stripes,when I play in front of people,but I've never done a real gig, so....
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
we very rarely play covers, though we got an encore on Thursday in which we played Die, Die My Darling. Misfits ftw
I like to play Turn the Page (Bob Seger, also covered by Metallica) a lot.
Dem Dry Bones
Current read: I Am America (And You Can Too) (Stephen Colbert)
Album of the Week: Four Thieves Gone (The Avett Brothers)
Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry is a ton of fun to play live.
"School is practice for the future, and practice makes perfect, and nobodys perfect, so why practice?" -Billie Joe Armstrong

"Guns don't kill people...the government does."
"Killing in the Name of" - Rage Against the Machine

Always a winner.... everytime
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
#21 OF THE NON-CONFORMIST CLUB
Last edited by Zukev at Jul 12, 2010,
We covered Can't Stop at the diamond fest fun as hell to. But i do backing vocals like john does. At the end everbody said we did good, but called me a b**** because i was singing high notes........
Member #17 of the RHCP & John Frusciante UG fanclub

Member #52 of the Fender Armada
^ Strange, I usually get compliments if I can do high notes (Under the Bridge outro, for example).
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Back in pep band for basketball games, we'd always include Crazy Train in the lineup, since 4 of the 5 members of our band were in pep band. Right from the bass and drums intro, people went crazy, and I especially loved it because I got to do the guitar solo and stand on the little stage we had for pep band. People loved it, apparently.
So now it's a staple at all of our gigs.
Walk-Pantera if you do metal shows, haha.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
We do an arrangement I did of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails.

Bro Hymn by Pennywise is another of my favorite covers.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
We tend to do stuff by the doors. mostly "people are strange". Also, we've done "wish you were here" by pink floyd
walk this way is another song that is fun as **** to play. if you have ever heard the version off the album "a little south of sanity," our drummer plays the drums intor like that (quite different than the normal intro), and our singer always gives the "Ahhh yeah, baby. WELL GET THE **** OFF OF THE FENCE!!!! CHEA!" before we rip into the guitar intro. really gets the crowd into it.
It's pretty common to cover it, but I love covering Knockin' on Heaven's Door, too. It's simple and you can do a lot with it.
Dem Dry Bones
Current read: I Am America (And You Can Too) (Stephen Colbert)
Album of the Week: Four Thieves Gone (The Avett Brothers)
Hallelujah to the Reptillia. One of my favorite covers.

Besides that.....
Get Free - The Vines, just because it's a good, easy, jam song. And it's got fun vocals.
And Closing Time - Semisonic. Preferably last, obviously. Great song. Amazing for just pulling out at any kind of venue, in front of any kind of audience.
Anything along those lines, but those three, I absolutely recommend.
God Save the Queen, by the Sex Pistols. It's funny how many people actually like the Sex Pistols, and even if they don't the crowd goes nuts when we play that song. It's a really good song to start with because it's easy and gets the audience moving.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
master of puppets-metallica
walk-pantera
raining blood-slayer
bohemian rhapsody-queen
breaking the law-judas priest

all amazingly fun songs to play live.
Jesus Rules

SLAM DANCE
Keep on rockin' by Neil young - pearl jam also covered it
well known, easy to play, gives time for 2 or 3 guitar solos (after every chorus)
Needles and Pins - The Searchers.

Great song.
#20 Ramones Worshipper RAMONES. PM hardrock1315 to join.
adam sandler - i wanna grow old with you

its that song from the wedding singer at the end on the plane

we do this weird power chord version of it with a lead guitar part, its alot of fun
Kill me, but Dance Dance by Fall Out Boy. The reason being my band has a very large 21-26 year old female fan base and they love Fall Out, so the dance floor usually gets up. We end every show with killing in the name of by Rage Against the Machine. That's a pretty insane song that gets the crowd rowdy at 2am.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
I haven't played a show yet, but at our first gig in a couple of weeks, we're probably gonna cover either "Silver And Cold" by AFI or maybe "Youth Gone Wild" by Skid Row or "Slither" by Velvet Revolver, we're still deciding.
Quote by Keef-is-king
Seinfeld: The Video Game

It'd be a game about nothing. But it would be fantastic, better than the Sims by far because there would be more jews.
Quote by Dutch_Apples
Kill me, but Dance Dance by Fall Out Boy. The reason being my band has a very large 21-26 year old female fan base and they love Fall Out, so the dance floor usually gets up. We end every show with killing in the name of by Rage Against the Machine. That's a pretty insane song that gets the crowd rowdy at 2am.

Yeah I've noticed a lot of bands nowadays are playin Fall Out Boy songs followed up by Rage Against the Machine....

anyway. fun songs to play:
Lie to Me, Satin Sheets - Silverchair
tourette's, Breed - Nirvana
Sunshine of Your Love (stupid fast punk-style) - Cream
New Race - Radio Birdman
I know a mouse and he hasn't got a house
I don't know why I call him Gerald
He's getting rather old, but he's a good mouse
i like to play eruption - van halen then then go straight into a rage against the machine, we tried it as an experiment and now its sort of a ritual to play it b4 ouir new material
Quote by Dutch_Apples

Nothin wrong with playing FOB or other music along those lines. I like them anyway, but playing what your audience wants to hear is always a plus, especially if they're chicks. College aged chicks don't want to hear metal and **** at a bar. Play what people like and they'll love you. Killing in the name is a great song to end on. As is Brohymn which someone mentioned earlier.
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
We do Bro Hym as well. I never heard the song before joining this band, but it does go over well at shows. Also Bad Fish by Sublime.. or any Sublime goes well. Most of my band grew up listening to Sublime in the beach town we play in, so it's huge.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
Enter Sandman - Metallica, Even Flow - Pearl Jam, Mouth For War - Pantera, or anything by Lit gets the crowd jumping...
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by Harmonystrat
We covered Can't Stop at the diamond fest fun as hell to. But i do backing vocals like john does. At the end everbody said we did good, but called me a b**** because i was singing high notes........

My Band does Cant Stop and it always goes down well.
I Like playing Down with the sickness- Distubed becuase i sounds so friggin awesome.

Also one of my favorite songs to play live (when i had my old singer) was Chop Suey because its such a head banger
little wing. jimi hendrix, of course. with some little tweaks.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Page 1 of 2