Well, I recently acquired a Squier Strat from a friend. It's probably made of plywood.

All the same, I've decided to mod it some. I've stripped all the electronics and ordered a new pickguard!

I'm looking at an angled single-space in the neck, and a humbucker in the bridge.

I'm also going to get some new machine heads for it.

BUT at the moment I've not considered changing the finish at all. I really haven't dabbled in refinishing, so I'm a little wary, but I'd be interested in any suggestions.

It's currently black, and will have a black single-ply pickguard, total custom. The fretboard's a nice rosewood.

I'm keeping the strat bridge and just putting heavy springs on it.

And I'm deciding between either a three-way switch, or else, getting a pot which would allow me to mix exactly the output levels of the two pickups.

Any suggestions are really welcome!
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
So the pickup combo is gonna be like a Squier '51? Nice.

BTW, what pups are you getting?
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
I'm looking at some interesting angled rails humbuckers for the bridge, I know a set runs to about 30/40 pounds, in 13K and 14.5K, so I'm looking for a single for the neck that'd be something to match that.

I originally wanted an angled 'bucker in the bridge, but I got talked out of it at the store when I ordered the pickguard. I know the clerk well, and it'd cost the same, so I'm trusting him where it comes to pole pieces and loss of volume over the E strings.

As for the neck, I'm not sure if I'm leaning towards a Kent Armstrong rails mini-bucker, or a Lace Sensor Holy Grail bridge-spec single.

Basically, I'm mainly concerned with having a set that roughly matches; so maybe an 11K single and using the neck from the 'bucker set, or a 13K mini-bucker using the bridge from the 'bucker set.

Lace has some nice, meaty singles, mostly the bridge configs, but I'm not really fussed in that respect.

The Lace Dually Gold Humbucker looks great! And it'd allow me to use a hotter vintage style single in the neck.

Currently, I've mainly been sourcing parts from AxesRUs and WD Music; I'd rather not get into the higher price range of brand-name pups.

How heavy are we talking stringwise? too heavy and you might want to add a new nut to that list.
If you're not into brand names check out GFS pickups.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I don't have a credit card, I can't order from the US. I'm moderately sure that's where AxesRUs get a lot of their pickups from. I've been looking into WD Music's Kent Armstrong pickups, but haven't really found anything with enough output apart from their rail mini-buckers.

Quote by JinxxxOnU
How heavy are we talking stringwise? too heavy and you might want to add a new nut to that list.

I mostly just go with 9's and 10's. I'm happy enough with 10's max, but if I go higher, then I'll look into a new nut.

I'm also going to put 5 springs tight on the trem, because I don't use it, but I don't really have the tools to block it off and switch to a hardtail or string through.

This is going to be a cool project. One of my Strats has Red Lace Sensors and the sound approaches Bucker territory and is pretty hot.

As far as Squiers go, the only plywood body that I'm aware of are those MIK in the Squier Bullet series. And with decent PUs, I've heard some decent sounds through a Fender Hotrod Deville tube amp.

In my 1st spraycan painting mod, I read and re-read a bunch of tutorials and how-tos before I bought the 1st spraycan or sanding paper. Then I abused Kisekae until I was satisfied with a "simple" single color body to match the hardware and other parts that I could afford.

Good Luck and post pics!
I'm fairly happy with the current black-on-black scheme. I've been told it'll be a month to six weeks for the pickguard, and I'll really look into the electronics when that arrives.

On the I'm just glad to have a project guitar that I'm not too attached to.