ok i just bought a cheap no brand strat or a freind, it is 2 years old and has no scrathes and dents except for a crack in the neck but i will replace it. i plan on hotting it up eg. ( new pickups, new neck, new tuners, pickguard and maybe some built in effects). but what i need to no is how am i going to paint it.

do i need to sand it down?
do i need special paints?
and can i do it myself?

any input would be helpfull

cheers andrew
built in effects aye, im getting interested. you can do most of the stuff yourself actually you can do most of the stuff yourself unless your planning on making the neck
yes, you have to sand the finish off, till you're down to the wood, you prime it then and for paints you can use spay paints. Of course you can do it yourself, now, don't teke much advice from me, I've never done it...I only have one guitar and if I f*ck it up, I f*ck it up
Gear:

Ibanez SoundGear SR300DX Bass

Digitech BP200
Painting is easy. I did it to my strat. Sand if ruff with 220, get it not shiny so the primer has something to stick to. Shoot a light layer of primer, when it gets sticky shoot another layer. Let that dry and lightly sand it. Than a light layer of your colour, let it get sticky, and another layer. Wait till it drioes, lightly sand with fine paper and repeat. Sand with HIGH grit paper, get it shinny, than buff it.
~Bryan~
~~One Off Custom Strat~~
- 3 piece alder body
- Maple on rosewood 21 fret neck
- '82 Fender pickups

~~'92 Toyota Supra~~

- 1JZ-GTE (TT, front mount intercooler, 15~psi)
- Tuned on 93 octane
- HKS 3" exhaust
Quote by Ierius
yes, you have to sand the finish off, till you're down to the wood, you prime it then and for paints you can use spay paints. Of course you can do it yourself, now, don't teke much advice from me, I've never done it...I only have one guitar and if I f*ck it up, I f*ck it up

DONT TAKE ADVICE FROM HIS POST!

If you are doing a transparent coat AKA Dye so that you can see the grain of the wood thru the finish, then yes you hafta sand to bare wood, but if you are just doing a solid color, not at all!

Just scuff up the finish (sandpaper 220 grit) all the way around, then prime it with 1 thin coat, sand lightly with 400 grit, then prime again in a thin coat then sand litely with 600 grit, then on final thick coat of primer, then repeat process' with your solid color
Quote by Yea-so...hi
DONT TAKE ADVICE FROM HIS POST!

If you are doing a transparent coat AKA Dye so that you can see the grain of the wood thru the finish, then yes you hafta sand to bare wood, but if you are just doing a solid color, not at all!

Just scuff up the finish (sandpaper 220 grit) all the way around, then prime it with 1 thin coat, sand lightly with 400 grit, then prime again in a thin coat then sand litely with 600 grit, then on final thick coat of primer, then repeat process' with your solid color

Yeah but that will leave a really thick finish probably. www.reranch.com has good advice which I followed to refinish my strat, it looked good but preferred a natural finish so took it all off again The easiest and quickest way to strip a guitar is a heat gun with a cabinet scraper. Just heat it up so it melts and scrape off
Theres really no need to leave the gun on one point for too long though, it normally melts it right off. That is if you use the a good gun. The first time I stripped the paint I used a crap one which I left on the same spot for too long and burnt the wood, it didnt crack it though, but left some beastly marks :P
that reranch site is mad thnx. also another question what would be some good cheap but not to cheap pickups to put in.

cheers
Quote by new_kirk_hammet
that reranch site is mad thnx. also another question what would be some good cheap but not to cheap pickups to put in.

cheers

sicne your from aus none. unless your order some off www.guitarfetish.com or stew mac