Basically I'm torn between these two guitars, essentially the Tokai is a copy of the Gibson, but according to the guy in the shop, the Tokai model actually matches, even exceeds the quality of the Gibson. And for the guy in the shop to recommend a cheaper guitar must mean it's good right?

I don't know if it's worth the extra £300 + to get a Gibson when supposedly the Tokai is better.

Any help is welcome
no tokai's suck balls. the wood on their guitar is like plywood. I play one in the shop and it sounded good so i bought it. Then when I brought it home and played it, it sounded like ****. So now I have 1 SG and another *cough* Gibson Double Neck SG.
Gibson SG (Cherry)
Gibson Double Neck SG (Cherry)

Musicman AMP

*Building my own guitar now*
dude, get the gibson....the salesdude probably recommending the cheaper guitar because he knows youll be back like a week later needing a new guitar and that will probably be more money than the gibson. 2 guitars costs more than gibson. Company gets more profit.
gibsons ****ing rock.
Gibson SG (Cherry)
Gibson Double Neck SG (Cherry)

Musicman AMP

*Building my own guitar now*
I'd say the Gibson, but you should actually think for yourself and play the damn guitars, they're in the shop, why not?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I've got a tokai love rock model and it is excellent the best piece of gear i have ever bought. but its true not all guitars even in the same line of models is created equal buy the one the feels the best to play and sounds the best.
Quote by GuitarManiac09
dude, get the gibson....the salesdude probably recommending the cheaper guitar because he knows youll be back like a week later needing a new guitar and that will probably be more money than the gibson. 2 guitars costs more than gibson. Company gets more profit.

That is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. The shop will want to sell whichever gets them the most profit (most likely gibson given the higher price tag.) They won't sell somebody a guitar hoping that they will come back to buy another.

And FWIW I've tried a ton of ES335 type guitars (in the hope that I'll find one that I can actually stand to listen to.) And so far I think the Ibanez artist models are the nicest (the older ones, I believe the Scofield sig is almost identical to those but I've never tried one.) Out of the two you mention I personally found Gibson on average to be better, however there were some astounding Tokai's that blew the best gibbo's out of the water. So make sure you try a number of them and try them thoroughly.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details