Ello all, been a while

Hope all is doing dandy in riffland... back in the real world i've been a busy ol' doughboy, but I was a bit bored today so thought i'd give the ol' recording lark another stab for the day.

This is a guitar and vox cover of Ben Harper's 'Burn One Down', recorded with a very basic setup... acoustic direct into line-in, headset mic into... you guessed it, the mic socket. Clean-ups of NR and hiss reduction, as well as slight reverb added with Adobe Audition. A rather quick slap-dash attempt, but i'd get frustrated picking at it too much.

Dmusic Page:
Burn One Down@Dmusic
Note - Don't select the lo-fi stream... it's fooked! Hi-fi and download work though.

Direct Links: (may or may not work!)
Hi|Download

Any feedback greatly appreciated. Enjoy... I hope!

An eye for an eye leaves everyone a pirate.
Last edited by LazyGuitar at Jul 15, 2006,
Cheers, appreciate the comments

The issue you noted about cutting out at around 1.30... which stream did you click, hi or lo? I didn't notice the problem with the hi-fi stream when I tried it.

EDIT TO ALL: Don't click the lo-fi stream... that's fooked by the sounds of it :-/ I'll re-upload sometime later I think. Hi-fi stream works, so click away at that!
Last edited by LazyGuitar at Jul 15, 2006,
Yep the hifi one works just fine. Anyway, I haven't heard the original, but this seems really good....very fluent guitarwork. I didn't notice any mistakes really. Vocals are impressive too, better than me at least.
Pretty wierd guitar tone...it sounds kind of like a mix between an acoustic and an electric...very intersesting. Vocals sound pretty good, but you seem to have trouble hitting the high notes...seems to me just switching it down a half step or so would help significantly. Otherwise, pretty nice job.

Haven't seen you around in a while...I'm still here making my 30 second demos, here's the latest if you care to listen and leave me some feedback:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389139

I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
i also have never heard the original, but from the sound of it i would think you did the song justice. you have a fairly decent voice along with nice guitar playing...good job
i like the tone and it sounds like you are singing from the heart.. i know its gay, but i really want to compliment your singing. Good clean picking and guitar playing is great overall. Great Job
that was ****en awesome, great job. you definately did the song justice
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
Hey, good to see you here!
sweet stuff.
I love the tone of your guitar. Your singing is great too.
You did great justice to Ben Harper.
Good job!
BUY SOME PHOTOS..Click here, and then click 'store'

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK
lol man plz dont take this the wrong way but you really cant rap.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Pretty wierd guitar tone...it sounds kind of like a mix between an acoustic and an electric...very intersesting.

Well it is an electro-acoustic into the line-in, so the sound would figure Unfortunately, I don't get a very clean sound recording acoustically via the mic.

I've re-uploaded (hopefully solve that lo-fi issue), and just knocked down the guitar reverb and added a slight vocal presence to fit in a bit better with the guitar (at least imo!). Shouldn't affect the tone at all, really just to mix in the sound in a bit more neatly.

Thanks for the comments so far all
(haven't heard the original)

It's a nice odd guitar tone
Nice singing (though I don't like your accent )
It does seem like if the whole song was moved down a semi-tone The highest notes of the track would be better.

I'm going to go and listen to the original...and then compare.

If you want to Crit mine, it's in my sig, though it's not really ...expected, it has like 3 pages or something, because I wouldn't let it die.

EDIT- It's surprising how close your singing gets to the original. And to be honest, His is only a little better, and he the advantage of having a bass , drums, bongo , proffesional recording.

I also like the "accelerando" at the outro.

It's good
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Last edited by meh! at Jul 16, 2006,
Quote by meh!
EDIT- It's surprising how close your singing gets to the original. And to be honest, His is only a little better, and he the advantage of having a bass , drums, bongo , proffesional recording.

Yeah, that's the thing about this song... the whole 'reaching for the high notes' (that That_Pink_Queen mentioned) is Ben Harper's style, so whilst I agree dropping a semi-tone would suit my voice better, it probably would lose that effect. Depends which way I wanna go really, sound like him, or match it to my normal singing voice... I went for a strange hybrid As for the accent, i'm a white English guy... it was a bit of a stretch to try to be this guy:

Thanks for the comments!
Last edited by LazyGuitar at Jul 16, 2006,
Quote by LazyGuitar
Cheers, appreciate the comments

The issue you noted about cutting out at around 1.30... which stream did you click, hi or lo? I didn't notice the problem with the hi-fi stream when I tried it.

EDIT TO ALL: Don't click the lo-fi stream... that's fooked by the sounds of it :-/ I'll re-upload sometime later I think. Hi-fi stream works, so click away at that!

sorry i should have been more specific, it cut out on the lo-fi, and then i listened to the full one on the hi-fi
I've never heard the original, but this was really nice. The guitar playing was just about perfect, aside from what sounded like some minor slip-ups at the end when you were picking up the tempo. The singing was good too, much better than mine.

Good job.
I like this song.

as for your cover, it was just as good as the original. I liked your vocals alot, they were nearly perfecto. Your guitar was top notch, but you really sped up too much at the end, but other than that, it was PERFECT.

Great job!
Dont post sublIminal mEssages
sorry for the late crit, the recording was a bit fuzzy with the lower notes. im not sure if that is your computer or whatever, but you might wanna check that out. you have a nice voice. it was awesome overall.