Don't get me wrong here.

I plan on getting an Ibanez RG350 or a Jax Kelly performer
I already have a Zoom 707II Guitar-Mulieffect.

Now with that in mind, do i really need an Amp, or can i run this setup through good, big ass speakers?

I always thought amps were mainly good for equalizing or Distortion, and since i won't be using built-in distortion anyway what's the best move i can make?

If i must buy an amp, can you tell me of other brands than the expensive ones? How are Leem amps, or Starfire? i also found a 40 Watt Cremeoni (or cremonti) that i can afford easily, but it's made in china, will it explode?

Recommend or tell me if i can do with just speakers?

Oh and keep in mind im looking for a lot of "chug" in the resultant sound, i always put the effect on MT 7th or Gary modded, cuz i play alot of high gain-hungry metal, and love harmonics.
Last edited by MustaineV at Jul 15, 2006,
If you really like the sound, you'll need to get a power amp to be able to run it through a speaker(s) as the Zoom will be acting as a pre-amp.

But I can guarantee you that you won't like the Zoom forever.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah I used to have a Zoom...youll grow to hate it.
My setup right now is my custom made carvin (same setup as an RR1) through a Boss MT-2 (now theres a nice distortion pedal you should look into for metal) and I use a Roland Cube-60 amp. If you can afford $375, the cube-60 is the best solid state metal amp you can buy imo. Anything better is tube and therefore much more expensive.
Quote by R H C P
you'll need to get a power amp to be able to run it through a speaker(s) as the Zoom will be acting as a pre-amp.

I thought i was technically good until i read that, which has to be the most basic thing i will never know !!!

Ok explain these : Power Amp and Pre Amp

As for the Zoom i ****ing hate its wah already, but i must like it cuz i can't afford anything else, and i hate having a ton of pedals (And pedal boards!)

I'm not anal about sound quality at all, i just want the 'chug' to be awesomely loud for a home and maybe some jams with a separate drum machine, that's all, keep suggesting/explaining !
Last edited by MustaineV at Jul 15, 2006,
If you don't care about sound quality, just buy an amp.

Probably easier to buy an amp and use your Zoom as a multi-effects, than to buy a separate power amp and cab set.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
trust me you will start to hate that zoom as you get better, get a good head is you want chug look for a peavey XXX used, mabye thatll fit the bill
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever
The reason you can't just plug a guitar into a stereo speaker system at your house is because it doesn't have a pre-amp.

Most speakers can't handle the highest noises that a guitar can put out so you'd probably ruin them.
pre-amp: the part on most amps that has the eq/gain and most sound options. it "colors" your tone. and molds it.

Power-amp: the part that actually puts volume behind your sound. effects tone as well, pesence and deep knobs usually act on the power amp.

the signal from the pre-amp isn't strong enough to push a speaker, so you need both.

what you coudl do, is get an amp like a peavey rage, which has a power amp in, and just plug into that.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Derek a peavy will cost me more than the RG 350.. Not a wise choice if you ask me, especially since i have very little for an amp (like $170) mind that i live in Egypt, where stuff is severely over-priced..

What do you all think of Leem and Starfire amps then?
I can get one 30 W in my price range. and a 40 even without a built-in OD, which i don't need, what do you all think?
well it's a rule of thumb that you spend more on the amp than the guitar. as the amp has much more say so in your final tone than the guitar. the guitar is mainly about play ability, tunning stability, and how comfortable you are with it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by sonixon
The reason you can't just plug a guitar into a stereo speaker system at your house is because it doesn't have a pre-amp.

Most speakers can't handle the highest noises that a guitar can put out so you'd probably ruin them.

Actually stereos do have a pre amp. It's just not meant for guitar really, there will likely be an impedence mismatch and the preamp may not work well with the guitar line level.

And +1 on the speakers. You need instrument or PA speakers, they're tougher.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Derek you're right, i should, but sadly following that rule i would have to get a loser-ass squier or a samick which i hate totally.

I think i can get a good 30W amp now, then give it to my bro or sell it later and get a good 40W Peavy when i get more money.
I'm paying $510 for the RG already (yeh insanely overpriced)

Plus you should know that people who make more than $200 a month are very rare here, since $200 is a very BIG amount of money in Egypt, a family of Four can live normally (and sometimes pretty damn good with good management) off it monthly (Yep !!). So $700 in total is a ****ing ****load of money for a 22 year old to have, i kinda can't squeeze anymore or i'll have to eat nothing (heheh).

And add to that dilemma those BASTARDS have very high taxes (customs) on imported ****, so i get a 350-400 guitar for $500. And no Marshal amps at all make it in, how's that sound? Heh .. Assholes aren't they?
Quote by sonixon

err, guitar speakers that you'd find in an guitar amp/cabinet practically suck at reproducing any sounds above 7khz or so. Stereo speakers however are designed to reproduce sounds cleanly without any distortion or anything like that.

However, guitar speakers are designed to be LOUD, while stereo speakers comprimise that ability for the frequency response.

and you're not missing on anything by not getting Marshalls
I thought Marshals were top-of-the-line , and Peavy's too..

Am i terribly wrong?
Quote by MustaineV
I thought Marshals were top-of-the-line , and Peavy's too..

Am i terribly wrong?

go lookup any of the following brands:
Mesa Boogie, Bogner, Diezel, Engl, Bad Cat, Matchless, Splawn, Dr Z, Fuch, Koch, Riviera, Framus, VHT and a bunch of other crazy expensive amps
hm, not TERRIBLY.

but new marshalls a **** pretty much. i like the DSL's but thats about it. used marshalls are where its at.

and as far as peavey goes, 5150 is a mainstay in heavey styles of music, but i wouldn't say "top of the line." i have an XXX and i love it, great amp, but again, by no means is it "top of the line."

top of the line things are like ENGL, soldano, diezel, bogner, dr.Z, ect.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

like , names i've never heard of, what say ye to Zoom amps? (Remember i already have an effects pedal, does that do away with their "buzz" problems?)
Quote by sonixon

i'd say your pretty wrong there. most speakers can handle guitar noises, even the highest noises, and the only reason why you can't plug your guitar into a stereo speaker system is because you need a preamp to amplify it.
marshalls are good, but you either like the marshal tone or hate it. the only new one thats good is the DSL and even that came out in the 80's. so unless you got enough for a DSL, 900,800, Plexi etc, dont bother.

moose: theirs are reason guitar amp speakers are better than stereo speakers.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
grow up.

bogner is better.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
grow up.

bogner is better.

psh. bogner shmogner. real men use real kochs.
Quote by joel_grieve
marshalls are good, but you either like the marshal tone or hate it. the only new one thats good is the DSL and even that came out in the 80's. so unless you got enough for a DSL, 900,800, Plexi etc, dont bother.

moose: theirs are reason guitar amp speakers are better than stereo speakers.

yes but to say that a guitar would ruin stereo speakers is pretty strange thing to say. different speakers are good for diff things i'm not debating that. half of those modellers model cabs and speakers anyways so using them through a standard stereo system is no big deal and u can get alright sounds out of them.
yeah but the power and frequency of a guitar tear the ass outta your speakers.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
i would say that most stereo systems are designed to handle quite a wide band of frequencies and especially when it comes to modellers, most of them output in 24khz stereo nowadays don't they? I know when i plug my modeller into my 5.1 it doesn't sound as good as through my amp but its certainly not damaging the speakers. how do you think that you can listen to a cd on a stereo system without it screwing up your speakers? modellers are pretty harmless. perhaps plugging a mesa boogie tube preamp or something into a 5.1 would be a bit risky and pointless.
Somehow this ^ made alot of sense.

I'm going with a Zoom Fire.. most probably.
^Somehow he's wrong.
If you use standard speakers, they will wear out, trust me. They're just not sturdy enough.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.