Now, I'm not gonna sit here and glorify shred as "the best music ever" or suggest that all of it's former and future bashers are a bunch of dim-witted failed musicians. In fact quite the contrary, I love shred but don't wish to impose it on anyone, just suggest it and talk about how it's more than just a form of music where everybody wants to show off...

See, it's very easy to say that fast, virtuostic music is "all flash & no feeling" but obviously you have to listen to it for a while to get used to the speed and learn to feel out the music as you get to know it better. It's like any other genre: you either love it or you hate it. Consequently, I love it as well as metal & classic rock and all of the artists and musicians who play and write all the music and so on.

Now, one thing everyone must know is that to be a virtuoso, or a crazy rock star, it takes a lot of hard work and discipline in order to achieve greatness-much like any career in everyday life. Hour after hour, day after day, working on songs by your favourite artist and trying to develop a unique style that will get the world to know that when they hear you play, they'll know who's playing. That's a day in the life of a shredder. I myself have been trying to demystify the guitar and all of it's secrets, building my chops day after day hopefully steering towards a career in music, particularly in the field that I know best: Shred, Metal & Rock... One thing that music fans and musicians alike don't know is what goes on behind the scenes. For instance, Steve Vai once mentioned to Guitar One magazine that when he was about 14, he used to deprive himself of meals or even sleep until he got certain licks or passages in songs so that he could be as good and technical as he is. Or perhaps Yngwie's ideology of being able to play licks with equal clarity both with speed picking & legato! That's a heck of a lot of stress and discipline that one puts on oneself in order to feel satisfied with their technique. That's a lifetime of hard work! Almost like a miner, except without the death-inducing environment, although sometimes, the practicing process for shredders can be almost as stressing...

Now, it's safe to say that shred isn't for everybody. In fact shred seems to be appealing mostly (or even exclusively) to well-other musicians. And you know what, if those are the only fans that it gets-that's fine with me, but one thing's for sure: not eveybody can like the same things, otherwise, life would be very boring now wouldn't it? Hell, if everybody liked Britany Spears or Madonna, then there'd be no use for this web site now would there?!

Now for all of you so-called "failed musicians" who didn't get it the first time around: that's alright! Almost nobody does. See, one thing about playing music is that nobody can learn everything overnight. "Sweep-picking" and "Fretboard Tapping" and like a million other techniques known to the guitar, it's a wonder anybody gets anywhere these days. One thing that I've learned is that, once you find something that works for you, stick to it. Practice it and learn to incorporate it into your own playing. It may not be perfect, but to tell you the truth, I have a hard time believing that any guitarists (or any musicians) around the world can ever learn a technique or song 100% corect and perfected to-the-note. It's impossible in fact. I had figured that out within a few days of playing the guitar. But one thing that always keeps me going is the fact that with time and practice, I know that I will get what I'm trying to play. Whether it's a few hours, days, or even a few weeks, I know I can get it as long as I stick to it and no one can take that from me! Perseverence is probably one of the greatest assets for a musician. And besides, if everybody on this earth was as talented as Yngwie Malmsteen or Jimi Hendrix or J.S. Bach, there'd be no need for record deals and big venue concerts.

And for those of you who take shred for granted and say "Yngwie sucks" or "Dream Theater is the best" without giving any regards to other bands or the discipline that it took for those artists to get where they did, believe me, you're hurting the genre as much as the individuals who bash it! One thing about loving music, especially as a musician, is that you always have to respect the musicians and heroes that came before you. Without Hendrix, there'd be no Stevie Ray Vaughan. Without Ritchie Blackmore, there'd be no Yngwie Malmsteen etc... The music is only as good as the musicians who perform it. And without respect for the composers and musicians, I don't see how anyone can fully appreciate the songs.

Just remeber, if you're going to get into shred (or any other genre of music for that matter), don't just give up on it because you don't get it at first, some music is just meant to be enjoyed and not understood!

Consequently, I want this forum to be a haven for shred fans-any experience with shred is acceptable. As long as people don't come in and start saying things like "shred's stupid" or "one guitar player is faster than another", it's all good.

Take your time in this forum to suggest shred albums, talk about your favourite shredders, or even ask about shred if you're wondering about getting into it, or wanna start playing it. There are more shredding members than myself of course, so I figure we could all step in and help out new-comers to shred and get them on their way to shredding effectively!
Quote by permanentmarker
that is a very long thread, it should really be in some sort of column
Congratulations, you just won my 'Stupidest Post of the Day' award!

i love shred. but i never actualy started listening to it full time. every once in a while my friend would show me and awesome video that i could never remember the name of. i was wondering if there were any artists or songs that youd recomend me listening to? thanks
Whatever it is you do, DO NOT CLICK HERE! ! it will bring the end of the world upon us all!!!! I swear you click it, and you will end o.O
i finally got a good teacher that can shred
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
from what i read in the threadstarters' post, i think all i got was that shredders have worked hard technically to get where they have now, in terms of skill, and i would certainly agree with that. but with most shred (i wouldnt call vai shred, i think hes too melodic for that), however much i hear it, it sounds just like very fast guitar music. maybe theres something deep in there that im missing, and i havent really understood the attraction to shred music, except that some people would find fast guitarists exciting to listen to. i find them exciting to listen to, often i go on youtube to listen to shred. but i dont think its very musical, nor is there much there. i think music should be an expression, or something to affect people emotionally, and i cant see that happening with most shred. if u disagree with me, fair enough, id like to hear ur views really.
i need to get a better signature.
dude that was way to long..
as for shred though its alrite. i dont like it as much as i do say blues or classic rock or even metal. i respect the guys that play it but it just doesnt hit me the same way that blues does. but dude im not a failed musician because i choose not to play it. how are you gonna call me a failed musician because i don't want to sit around for 14 hours a day practicin lightning fast licks. i didn't "get it the first time around" wat's there to get? you just try to play certain notes as fast as you can. if by failing you mean i quit trying after an hour cause i thought it was retarded and a waste of my time, then ya im a failure
Quote by RuleBreaker
i love shred. but i never actualy started listening to it full time. every once in a while my friend would show me and awesome video that i could never remember the name of. i was wondering if there were any artists or songs that youd recomend me listening to? thanks

just listen to anything Dream Theater, they have some amazing shredding parts. John Petrucci's the ****ing man!!!

i think alot of musicians who are into green day and the like bash shredding becuase they know it's cool, but they couldn't do it to save their life. they'd rather grow horizontally and learn more Green day. they can't shred, so they bash it.

i personally love shredding, and would love to learn the proper way to do it. i can sort of do it now, but it gets real sloppy when string skipping, and i was never taught the proper, technical way to do it. are there any good videos online that show how to start shredding? i've seen some articles on this site that just gave you some tab to play, and had nothing about technique. i guess i'm a visual learner...
Nirvana
Good Charlotte, Simple Plan
Quote by Fruscianteac
dude that was way to long..

Not for a column.
Quote by <><
Congratulations, you just won my 'Stupidest Post of the Day' award!

x1,000,000

A decent column, I suppose, but not something that really spoke to me. Shred, as with any music genre, is a genre that people either like or don't like, and I know that after reading this article I don't think any differently about it. If someone doesn't like shred, this article probably isn't going to magically make them appreciate it. That's all I'm saying. It's an alright column, but that's just what I personally think of it.
Still seems good enough to put up, though, if you ask me.
i personally dont try to learn shred because i dont think it sounds nice, not because im lazy. dont assume that people who dont like shred are simply 'failed musicians' who 'cant be bothered to be talented'. a musician isnt someone who tries to be as fast as possible, but provides music, simple as that.
i need to get a better signature.
I think if this was a column then it'd be better, not a thread.
Quote by SilentDeftone
Of course it's real, just like everything else you see on TV.

Quote by HorridxHopes
By far the most mathematical post ever on UG.

I am quite the mathmatician...not..

Me playing guitar...or is it?!?!?!
Actually, I did submit it for a column, but they told me to put it into a forum post-so I did!

Damn, the more I read, the more I have to edit my reply...
Also, when I wrote this, I was pretty tired (at like midnite), so it may come off as offensive or a litle too suggestive, but one thing that I might have forgot to mention is that I don't intend to make people "Magically love shred", just try to give some insight that will hopefully acquire it some more respect...

Btw, by using the term "failed musician", I didn't mean it in an offensive way what-so-ever. It's just commmonly used (rather loosely and incorrectly) to describe people who chose a different path in terms of musical genres....
Belive me, I respect and understand that not everybody wants to shred. If I've offended anyone, I sincerely apologize.
Last edited by Shreddin 4 Life at Jul 15, 2006,
Quote by Let it Happen

i personally love shredding, and would love to learn the proper way to do it. i can sort of do it now, but it gets real sloppy when string skipping, and i was never taught the proper, technical way to do it. are there any good videos online that show how to start shredding? i've seen some articles on this site that just gave you some tab to play, and had nothing about technique. i guess i'm a visual learner...

I'd recommend John Petrucci's Rock Discipline. Just check for it on Google Video or Youtube.
Hmm...

recommended shred artists?
Here ya go:

Yngwie Malmsteen (Rising Force, Alchemy)
Jason Becker (Perpetual Burn)
Rusty Cooley (Rusty Cooley)
Racer X (Technical Difficulties, Street Lethal)
Symphony X (The Odessey or any other album)
{Symphony X is actually progressive neo-classical metal but incorporates a lot of shred}

There's a few that'll get ya started...
Quote by gtr-dude'n'a1/2
I think if this was a column then it'd be better, not a thread.

Sometimes the mods (or whoever looks at the submitted columns) tell you to put them through the UG Contribution forum first, and see if it gets approved. That's what this whole forum's for.
Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime
Nevermore: This Godless Endeavor

Quote by MATTTHEMOP
from what i read in the threadstarters' post, i think all i got was that shredders have worked hard technically to get where they have now, in terms of skill, and i would certainly agree with that. but with most shred (i wouldnt call vai shred, i think hes too melodic for that), however much i hear it, it sounds just like very fast guitar music. maybe theres something deep in there that im missing, and i havent really understood the attraction to shred music, except that some people would find fast guitarists exciting to listen to. i find them exciting to listen to, often i go on youtube to listen to shred. but i dont think its very musical, nor is there much there. i think music should be an expression, or something to affect people emotionally, and i cant see that happening with most shred. if u disagree with me, fair enough, id like to hear ur views really.

so with that logic, shred can't be melodic? if you take the time to actually listen to different styles of shred rather than shrapnel, perhaps you will hear the emotion...listen to Paco De Lucia and honestly tell me that you don't hear melody or emotion...not classifiying him completely as shred (flamenco), but he's been clocked in at over 15 nps piccado, so that's shred to me, not to mention that he's been known to bring audiences to tears with his music...dream theater also has some wicked melodies and solos, is that not melodic? to me, pushing yourself musically and technically while creating music is some form of expression, and not all shredders play 20 nps all the time
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
with most shred (i wouldnt call vai shred, i think hes too melodic for that), however much i hear it, it sounds just like very fast guitar music. maybe theres something deep in there that im missing, and i havent really understood the attraction to shred music, except that some people would find fast guitarists exciting to listen to. i find them exciting to listen to, often i go on youtube to listen to shred. but i dont think its very musical, nor is there much there.

As are most of the shredders that get any real respect. Greg Howe and Marty Friedman are every bit as melodic as Vai, and probably slower, but they're still shredders.

As for what I like about it, I'm not madly into vocals, and I like well arranged music, which is what most shred is.

And you need to know what terms to search in youtube, searching for shread just gets you guitar wankage.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Ok, so what ur saying (SethMegadefan) is that by posting this column of mine as a forum first can allow my column to be accepted in the future?
Quote by Shreddin 4 Life
Ok, so what ur saying (SethMegadefan) is that by posting this column of mine as a forum first can allow my column to be accepted in the future?

Yeah, if a mod comes in here and says it's good to go up on UG, all you have to do is submit it as a column, and since it was okayed by a mod in here, it'll get put up as a column almost immediately, no hassle. Fricken awesome system, if you ask me.
Quote by Shreddin 4 Life
Cool, but do I have to re-submit it, or do the mods take care of it on their own?

Did it get denied the first time? Because then yeah, you have to re-submit it.
I was under the impression that you hadn't submitted it at all yet, but if it got denied and they told you to put it here first, then even if it does get okayed by a mod you'll still have to manually re-submit it.
Alright, thx fer all the support guys

special thx to SethMegadefan for all of the help w/ submitting for a column.
Quote by MATTTHEMOP

100% agreed. Anybody can f*ck the fretboard with scales at 100 mph with a lot of practice, it takes talent to create power and emotion.
Quote by Skiddsifer
100% agreed. Anybody can f*ck the fretboard with scales at 100 mph with a lot of practice, it takes talent to create power and emotion.

I think the message the writer was trying to convey is that it takes power and emotion to be able to play scales at mph, too.
Check out the band Crossfire--- they are from Israel.... and they have quite the guitar god. Shred is awesome, but it definitely works better when it's in an '80's context, just as long as the band has an '80's sound. I like shred for its sheer ability to be as complex as possible, and so technical, yet it has such freedom, I don't think it gets the credit it truly deserves.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Of course it doesn't, that's why I'm gonna try to put my column thru.

The thing about shred is that u don't have to love it, just respect it is all. It definitely deserves it.
First of all, you're giving the totally wrong impression when you put Steve Vai and Yngwie Sucksteen on the same page. We could argue for days if Yngwie sucks or not, but let me tell you this; Go watch the G3 with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Yngwie Malmsteen in it. In the end they play "Foxey Lady" by Jimi Hendrix. Watch Yngwie Sucksteen try to show off with non-fit shredding during the song. All Malmsteen knows is transcribing classical music such as Pagani to the guitar and playing it super fast. Steve Vai demands alot more technicallity with his OWN style of playing, not classical music for the guitar. I love classical music, I love Steve Vai, I USED to love Yngwie Malmsteen when I was so naive, but please don't put them on the same page, its a disgrace to Steve Vai, one of the better guitarists in the world.
Oh and also, all shredders like Yngwie Malmsteen do is show off. I know two people who tried to talk to him, and he shut them up like an arrogant prick. He walks in to a guitar store and demands ridiculous discounts when hes filthy rich, and treats the clerk like a worthless life form.
I've met numerous famous musicans and none of them act like a total dick head. Nor do they produce suckass music.
Quote by hilikus533
First of all, you're giving the totally wrong impression when you put Steve Vai and Yngwie Sucksteen on the same page. We could argue for days if Yngwie sucks or not, but let me tell you this; Go watch the G3 with Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, and Yngwie Malmsteen in it. In the end they play "Foxey Lady" by Jimi Hendrix. Watch Yngwie Sucksteen try to show off with non-fit shredding during the song. All Malmsteen knows is transcribing classical music such as Pagani to the guitar and playing it super fast. Steve Vai demands alot more technicallity with his OWN style of playing, not classical music for the guitar. I love classical music, I love Steve Vai, I USED to love Yngwie Malmsteen when I was so naive, but please don't put them on the same page, its a disgrace to Steve Vai, one of the better guitarists in the world.

First, don't double post...

Second, they don't play "Foxey Lady", they play "Voodoo Child"...

Third, Shred is shred imo. Maybe u don't like Yngwie, but others do. I love his style and if u listen more closely, u'll see that there's more to him than just "transcribing classical music"
Also, whether or not he's an "a$$hole" as u like to phrase it, doesn't affect how I feel about his playing because frankly, I don't care how he treats others or how highly he thinks of himself because I listen to his music; not his interviews and life story. Frankly, not liking a musician for how they treat others or because they have an inflated ego is pretty sad imo. Either u like it or u don't. End of story.

Furthermore, i'm not comparing them, I'm just using their childhood ideologies or training methods as examples. What's the matter with putting them in the same article? They're both shreders aren't they?...

Btw, I have that DVD & I love every minute of it, so don't come up here trying to ruin my views on shred when I have already secured them.
Just try to be a little more respectful in the future, this isn't a bashing forum...
well my bad on the voodoo child, foxey lady was with john petrucci,
and I wasn't basing my views towards yngwie as a guitar player from his egomaniac jerk attitude, but I have just about every one of his albums, and theres hardly any song where he doesn't get alot of licks from classical tunes.

steve vai is not a "shredder" hes a genius.
Quote by hilikus533
well my bad on the voodoo child, foxey lady was with john petrucci,
and I wasn't basing my views towards yngwie as a guitar player from his egomaniac jerk attitude, but I have just about every one of his albums, and theres hardly any song where he doesn't get alot of licks from classical tunes.

steve vai is not a "shredder" hes a genius.

Every one of his albums?!?!

He's got like, over 20...
Not including the ones he did w/ Alcatrazz and the one w/ Steeler.
However, I see what u mean. But that's characteristic of neo-classical music...
Children of Bodom, Necrophagist, Nevermore etc... They all have a style based around classical licks from Bach, Vivaldi & Paganini and such. He's not the only one who plays like that.

Just the same, in the music world, Vai is considered to be shred. Whether or not he's a genius is irrelevant on that argument, but I do agree with u just the same
Last edited by Shreddin 4 Life at Jul 23, 2006,
Yeah, we're on the same page, and I have 11 of his albums. (used to like him)
You ranting your opinion on shred doesn't make an interesting column. Sorry. Nothing really educational going on there.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
You ranting your opinion on shred doesn't make an interesting column. Sorry. Nothing really educational going on there.

That's fine.

To tell u the truth, I'm not even really thinking about submitting it again. I just had the idea of trying to get shred more respect since there seems to be a lot of bashers out there...

Plus, when I wrote that column, it was like 1 in the morning & I was pretty er...tired.
Just a spur-of-the moment thing really. I did it when I first joined UG as a member and saw a lot of forums where shredders were being bashed (and b4 I saw the shred forums where people glorify it).

But thanx for ur honest opinion tho. Ur like pretty much the only one to come up in this forum and tell me off constructively. lol

Re-Submit or leave it be?

Ok, so to change gears a bit, I need honest opinions

should I submit that column (with some editing of course) or just leave it be, saving me some inevitable trouble from non-shred fans?

thanx in advance
i think shredding is cool i dont listen 2 it as much as other genres but i personally love steve vai as a shredder because in all of his songs ive listened to it seemed like he emotionaly was connected with his music rather than just going for speed (even tho alot of it is lightning fast)