Im getting an american strat standard. Do you think its a good buy? Im playing classic rock, hard rock, and modern rock and punk. Nirvana, the pattern (i love the pattern, reef, mew, kyuss, led zep, pink floyd, GnR, queen, gary moore, jimmy hendrix etc. etc.

Now, i don't like metal, so no suggestions based on the presumptiouns that i like metal. I seem to get that alot, probably coz some don't know about the bands i list, and presume they're metal. No metal bands, i'm not a metal fan.

Anyways, part of the reason why im buying the strat, is because i like the sound. I'll have to be honest, though, and say that i'd rather buy a gibson standard les paul, but its too far out of my price range, im afraid. So it'll have to be the strat. Theoretically, i have enough for the les paul, but i've already spent 2,000 on a brand new mes/boogie, and i don't wanna spend much more.

So, you think i should get the strat? Its a SSS. HSS is out of the question coz its way more expensive (There's a campaign on the SSS strat over here now).
well if you cant afford a gibson get an epiphone les paul
its just as good, it just doesnt have the gibson logo
but if you like strat sound, then get the strat instead
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
he just said he doesnt like metal at all....jacksons are MADE for metal....
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
for the music you play i think an epi would be more suitable in genneral, since most of those bands use darker sounding humbucker tones.
Nothing wrong with the used market. I say you should shop around for a used Les Paul, since that's what you really want. Don't just "settle." The only artist you listed who uses the traditional single coil Strat tone is Hendrix.
Hi, I'm Peter
Oh **** my bad, if you want the Les Paul then go for that. Especially if you have the money.
A single coil Strat will not pull of GnR, Led Zep, Queen, as well as a Les Paul or any guitar with a humbucker would. You need a humbucker atleast for those tones. Don't spend your money on a SSS, save up for a HSS.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
I have two Gibson LP studios for sale in the classifieds. One for 650, one for 900 I think. I'll take offers on either one.

But regardless, don't settle. If you want a Gibson, get a Gibson. Don't buy anything unless you really want it.
-Epiphone Riviera w/ Bigsby and Gibson 490r/498t combo
-Epiphone Es-333 Delonge Edition
-Fender Twin Reverb '65
www.chrisguitars.com - he's got two LP Studios for $800, and a LP Classic for $1,500. There's also a 1985 LP Standard for $1,900, which is probably out of your price range, but the point is, if you look used there are great deals out there. Guitars are much like cars -- new ones depreciate in value instantly once you take it home. Used guitars have already gone through that depreciation.
Hi, I'm Peter
G&L guitars. same price as american fenders but much better quality, they were leo fenders company after he sold fender and i can tell you i have a comanche and its awsome
Quote by Next Hendrix
You know you're a guitar player when your girlfriend says she got a new g-string and you ask " Is it nickel-wound or bronze phosphorous?"

Okay, thanks everyone. The thing is, i liked the sound the SSS gave me for my style of music. I don't want to emulate the tones of the band i listed, so i guess it was kinda stupid to list them at all. But you're right about getting the gibson if i want the gibson. I CAN get a new studio for a little more than the standard strat, but im worried about the sound.. I wouldn't be able to afford a pickup swap afterwards, and i really don't like the 490r and 498t pickups of the studio... So i dunno..
Dude, The reason why I play guitar is because of Jimi Hendrix and his Strats so I would put a Stratocaster before any other guitar (sort of bias yes, but I don't care.).
^okay man, yeah its sorta biased, but i value your opinion I love strats as well.

Anyways, i almost forgot to mention this: I already have an epiphone les paul custom, and i really like it. And you may call me a noob, but i don't hear that much of a difference between it and an average gibson, so i don't see the point of getting a gibson, for me at least.

There are two reasons i want the strat:

1. I wanted a different second guitar with a different sound, and better playability (ie upper fret access). I thought about PRS, but i didn't like the SEs i tried.

2. I really liked some of the tex-mex strats i've tried, but all of them had something missing. For example, i tried one with great sound but slow playability, while the other i tried had it the other way around, with better playability and bad sound. So im assuming the american will cover both bases? Im not patient enough to sit and wait in the hopes that my store will get in a better MIM strat in the near future.

So what do you think? I've toyed with the idea of a gibson, but i think i'd be better off with a strat, in all honesty
If you want a Strat for variety, go for it. Definitely worth it. If you have enough money, try out the American Deluxe or even a sig Strat. They tend to be made the best, with the most consistency. The problem with a lot of lower end fenders (especially Mexican made) is exactly what you're talking about - unpredictable quality. You find variation even in the Americans. So play a few of them. I have an American Standard (precursor to the American Series) and I like the playability, but wasn't impressed with the stock pickups. I think the Am. Deluxe comes with the really good noiseless pickups. Good luck in your hunt.

And what about a Carvin? If you want upper-fret access, they have neck-thru design, get it custom made, can get whatever pickup configuration you want. Just something to think about. Only problem with Carvins is that they don't have great resale value, if that's a concern for you.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 15, 2006,
Quote by danzig-_-
well if you cant afford a gibson get an epiphone les paul
its just as good, it just doesnt have the gibson logo

as much as id love to get into a huge argument over that statement.. i will simply just say that i disagree

anyway, id say youd be better off getting the Les Paul. yes its more expensive, but if you have the money and just dont wanna spend it, id suggest waiting until you do want to spend it. the LP would fit your musical preferences much better, imo

EDIT: sry, i didnt see that you already have an Epi. maybe go with the strat then. however, imo, epis are uncomparable to Gibsons and i would rather upgrade it to a Gibson.. but thats my personal feeling.. bias, if you will

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Last edited by ScreaminBlues25 at Jul 15, 2006,
Quote by Dirk Gently
If you want a Strat for variety, go for it. Definitely worth it. If you have enough money, try out the American Deluxe or even a sig Strat. They tend to be made the best, with the most consistency. The problem with a lot of lower end fenders (especially Mexican made) is exactly what you're talking about - unpredictable quality. You find variation even in the Americans. So play a few of them. I have an American Standard (precursor to the American Series) and I like the playability, but wasn't impressed with the stock pickups. I think the Am. Deluxe comes with the really good noiseless pickups. Good luck in your hunt.

And what about a Carvin? If you want upper-fret access, they have neck-thru design, get it custom made, can get whatever pickup configuration you want. Just something to think about. Only problem with Carvins is that they don't have great resale value, if that's a concern for you.

Okay, thanks man. Yeah, im still a little unsure if i'll be making the purchase, but i think i'll be going with the strat if im going with anything. I'm still waiting it out for a while, coz i might be moving out, and would need the cash. But if i don't, i'll definately look into the strat

Again, thanks for answering my long-winded questions about what guitar to get Good luck at the office (You are at the office, right?)

Edit: Also, i don't live in the US, so i can't get my hands on any of the carvins, unfortunately.
well for fret acces, i'd suggest a soloist or dinky, but seeing as your not into metal, strat's are the next choice, but yeah make sure you get atleast one humbucker, for rock
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
You made a good choice, Yngwie malmsteem use a 21 fret single coil strat and he is one of the greatist guitarists of all time. That is one of hendrix's most seen with guitar, but he also uses a Gibson flying V as well. It is a better choice than a gibson les paul studio because gibson guitars are known to be just as fragile as expensive, you can get a fender showmaster for 700-800 dollars and is nearly the same as a gibson les paul but not as expensive or fragile.
For the record: Yngwie uses a customized vintage Strat with scalloped frets along with DiMarzio HS-3 and YJMs, both of which are stacked humbuckers. So it's not exactly an off-the-shelf American Series.
Hi, I'm Peter