Does anybody know riffs or exercises i can use to increase my left hand dexterity/accuracy/agility/strength? Preferably using the pinky to increase that a bit.
frets 1,2,3,4 on every string (index on 1 middle=2nd ring 3rd and pinky 4th fret) then slide your pinky up to 5 and go down etc etc

then you can do other patterns with it
(1324... 1423... etc)

works well if you do it with a metronome and increase speed slowly.
sorry if thats hard to u nderstand...
^ yea thats exactly what I did.

Also one you've got the hang of that try increasing note speed (eg quavers, triplets etc, but all on the same note so its 1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4 etc)

Then try and move around so its

--1---3------------
----2--4-----------
-----------1---3---
-------------2---4-
Le Sraah
g|-------4--1--------------5--2--------------6-3-------|
D|-----3------2----------4------3----------5-----4-----|
A|---2----------3------3----------4------4---------5---|
E|-1--------------4--2--------------5--3-------------6-|
   T T T T  I I I I  T T T T  I I I I  T T T T I I I I
Continue the pattern to wherever you wish, I usually go all the way to the 24th fret and then go back down...

Heres what I do - this exercise helps the accuracy of both hands and works your left a bit more than the 1234 on each string...The T represents Thumb, so you're sweeping your thumb down the 4 strings...The I represents Index Finger, so you're reversing the pattern and using your index finger to sweep down the 4 strings (you can also use your thumb to sweep back down, rather Double Thump-esque I think)...I find this very helpful for my sweeping abilities and when I play Dream Theater stuff like "The Dance of Eternity" which has sweeps just like this played quite fast too....It works just as well using your main plucking fingers and you dont have to use your thumb and index I just put that there to give you an idea of what you could do...And as always, try to practice with a metronome or drum machine (I use my BP80 as a metronome, it has a drum machine built in) and work your way up on speed...

Good luck
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 15, 2006,
Well, once you have the finger-a-fret thing down, use the 1234 2341 3412 4123 etc. excersizes up and down each string continually one after another to the beat of a metronome, in increasing speed.

Missing just one note indicates the tempo is too fast for you. Practice until you nail it. Focus on keeping the pinky close to the strings, resist the natural position fo having it stick out away from the fretboard when not in use. It's tough, believe me...
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
xenocide...
although that's a good exercise... it's for sweeping
thread starter was asking about left hand agility etc.

but if you want to sweep... do that exercise.
Quote by phoenix_88
xenocide...
although that's a good exercise... it's for sweeping
thread starter was asking about left hand agility etc.

but if you want to sweep... do that exercise.

well, it does make you move your left hand a bit more than the 1234 on each string...it helps my left hand agility and speed when I set my metronome pretty fast...oh, well..
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
yeah i need to get into doing that... can't sweep or even come close to save my life...

plus i just noticed that this is in the bass guitar forum.
would be cool,
but doubtful that he's sweeping on his bass haha
practice playing stuff without plucking with your right hand at all. just play riffs with your left hand only when practicing to increase it's ability.
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
Quote by phoenix_88
yeah i need to get into doing that... can't sweep or even come close to save my life...

plus i just noticed that this is in the bass guitar forum.
would be cool,
but doubtful that he's sweeping on his bass haha

well he does listen to some bands that have great bassists and complicated basslines, so yes, he may very well be interested in sweeping...like I said in my first post there are a few Dream Theater songs where John Myung utilizes sweeps very similar to the ones I posted...
I just do a C Major Scale without moving my hand. Or do something with some hammer-ons. I like Californication by RHCP.
Schecterman's Accomplice, of the Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World Club. PM Fett13 or Your41Plague12 to join.

EQ:
Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5
Yamaha RBX170
G|---3--4--1--2---------------|
D|-1--2--3--4-----------------|
A|------------------3--4--1--2|
E|----------------1--2--3--4--|

That exercise helped me alot if you're doing it right it should sound like a spider crawling, i hope you understand my vague explanation.