my band and i are going to be recording soon. we decided to buy our own recording stuff from musicians friend or something. is there some sort of software that you can buy that will let you plug your guitars, basses, and mics into it so you can just play into the computer. a software that like, also has a mixer and its own effects on it but at the same time doesnt cost too much. one last question is how do you record drums? please remember that we are on a tight budget. thanks a lot.
audacity!!!!

lol its free
its not that great
you wont really get anywhere with it
but its cool for fun.

drums- use a mic. a good one
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
I bought the Line 6 Toneport and its prety good. The bass will sound decent with it; the guitar will sound decent anywhere from clean to 70s crunch but will only be good for demoing or getting down quick ideas if you want fuzz or metal tyoe distortion. If you do want that kind of sound just mic up your amp (the toneport has XLR inputs too. Howver micing drums may be hard since there is only one XLR input one my UX1 (the UX2 has 2.)

The software that comes wit it, Ableton Live, is useable but its only a 4track demo version (you can save your stuff though.) For its price its probably worth it as you may be a ble to get a cheap/ free recording software to use with it instead of Live. I plan to upgrade to the full version of live though. Live does have drum samples for making drum patterns so my other guitarist and I have been able to make usable if not great demos of our songs.

Link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249700&src=3SOSWXXA
get protools, with a mbox, or buy an m-audio box, adn get protools m-powered. U il lneed a mic or two if u want a decent sounding guitar. Most of these tyes of programs coem with a good starting effects pack. Any other quiestions, just ask.
Check out my music *
so do you just use 1 mic for all of the drums and cymbals or what? also, i forgot to mention that this is pretty much just for demos and stuff so it can be fairly cheap.
I forgot.

The effects on the Gearbox software that has all the amp models and stuff is alright but not that great. Plus you will probably want to add effects later AFTER you have recorded a usable guitar part. For that the effects in Ableton are pretty good. The delay, chorus, reverb, and Eqs are all perfectly usable. However I found the noise suppressor in Gearbox destroys your tone at high levels. With enough tweaking its not a problem.

Preferable you would want to use a number of mics for drum: 1 for highhats/ cymbals, one for kick, 1 or 2 for toms and snare and 1 for overhead.

Good luck.
With Shures (which you want):

Single: 100 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102

Drum Pack: 460 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-Drum-Mic-Package?sku=270263

Used maybe 350/400

You can do it cheaper (150-200) by recording Kick, and high hat, add snare and toms late but it will lose alot of its feeling.

You could use drums samples or a drum machine (Free to 200+) which isnt nearly as bad as you may think when you use the pressure controls.

If your doing a demo just go with drum samples. When you get around to actually being good enough with your production and recording tehniques to record a full length EP or or almbum or whatever, you will be more willing to put down the money for the mics.
ok, where do you get drum machines to use when recording? also, where can you get drum machines taht you can just plain use when playing live so that i dont need to worry about my drummer if hes not at a gig?
Just look around on Musicians Friend
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?N=100001+201078&Ntk=All&Ntt=drum+machine&Nty=1&page=1
Or go to guitar center and ask those guys. You use the pads to program loops. You can hook it up to a mixer and PA for live uses and into a mixer for recording. Line6 Toneport comes with drums samples.

If you have ANY other questions this site will probably answer them:
http://tweakheadz.com/guide
Whats your budget?
What quality of a recording are you aiming at creating?
What equipment do you have right now to work with?

Drums are recorded using multiple microphones. Generally 4 or more. Typically you put 2 condensors over top of the drum kit to create a stereo field. A dynamic mic with a high bass responce ont he kick drum. Then a mic is placed on the snare, often an SM57 just an everyday dynamic microphone. In a lot of professional cases more microphones are added but it depends on the project and the drum kit, as well ast eh sound your aiming at getting.

You also need to remember that recording quality is going to be based half on your equipment, and half on how you use your equipment. Even with all the equipment in the world youd still enver get a good sounding recording unless you know how to use the equipment your using, and you also know how to mix it properly.

Thes are all things to keep in mind. I see it a lot where new, even pre exisitng bands with no money decide they want to start recording, but don't realize whats involved with recording. A lot of the sound from a recording comes from experience. But hey everyones gotta start somewhere, I started out like you beeing in a band and wanting to record with a limited budget and no experience. We never did end up recording because we dindt know hwat we were doing but from then on I kept recording on my own and now I can come up with some recordings that could rival a few studio's considering the equipments thats beeing used.
take it t has the right idea for drums, a good sound is going to need 4 mics positioned like he said. what i suggest is that you get a firewire card for your computer if you dont have one, then something like this here. thats probably the cheapest thing you can get for two inputs. then you get yourself a mixer with enough channels to mic your drums, and run the stereo outs on the mixer to the interface. not going to be the best way to record, but its probably going to be the cheapest to get good results (or at least that i can think of).

then you will have your mics from the drums to use for other things. you use the condensors you used as overheads for vocals and acoustic guitar. dynamic mics are great for micing your guitar amp. the bass sounds good DI, but you can also have a mic and then run it DI at the same time using two mixer channels. this way you can mix the two sounds and get the best of both the DI and amp sounds. not going to be really cheap, but gets a decent sound for a full band.

for software, i recomend starting with something free, and trying out a lot of demos. i really like doing things this way because you can work with a few programs and see which ones you like working with. in the meantime i suggest you download a program like audacity so you can get a start on working with recorded audio.
Quote by elementskater7s
get protools, with a mbox, or buy an m-audio box, adn get protools m-powered. U il lneed a mic or two if u want a decent sounding guitar. Most of these tyes of programs coem with a good starting effects pack. Any other quiestions, just ask.

Pro Tools is the standard!!! It is what all the pro musicians use.
Made in Detroit
Guitars, Guns, Cars, Beer, and Women... This is what makes real men happy.
u sound lyk ur tryin 2 do wot every other band is doin lol.I'm not sure if this is wot ur lkin 4 but try goin on www.download.com ur sure 2 find sumfin dere,i duno wot else 2 suggest unless u wana hire a studio or sumfin.Wot my band have dun is turned my summer house into a studio,cost a bit but is worth it
You have to face the facts:

If you want a multitrack recorder that doesn't sacrfice sound too much and if you want software that mixes well and is good with what you need, you WILL spend money. You HAVE to. Unless your uncle works at a software company or your mom gets around and gets you freebies from her man lovers, you will be spending money. Guaranteed.

A crap way of mic'ing a drumset is a single condenser mic. In comparison, all professional bands in a studio record with a microphone for each drumn piece (each mic is hand-selected for each drum piece for their different recording qualities). Given you can afford the bare minimum, there goes an XLR input. Then you've got bass... that's a direct-in/quarter inch input gone. An interface with an XLR and a TRS input is a couple hundred bucks... you have to overdub the other instruments for lack of inputs, the downside being that not ALL songs are best recorded as overdub after overdub.

My point is that an interface with lots of inputs for simultaneous recording is a hefty hunk of cash.

Anywho.

red
Looking for my India/Django.
to get out of micking drums the cheaper way is too put two condensor mics over the drum set.. its not as good as having all parts micked but this is a good way to do it untill you save up some money to buy some more mics.. look on ebay for alot of cheap brand new shure mics particullary shure SM57's for instruments and probably a good way to go for vocals are Shure SM58's.
so, what would the cheapest it would probably cost to get little bit less than decent recording equipment for every instrument and vocals and everything (we have the instruments and teh cables, we dont have mics or anything. we also have an ok compy to put it on.)?
Ill second the toneport
Member #5 of the I <3 Schecter's Club-PM Schecter-06 to join
"Member of the Guitarists that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen club"-Pm Davidian to join
Quote by fenderguy09
so, what would the cheapest it would probably cost to get little bit less than decent recording equipment for every instrument and vocals and everything (we have the instruments and teh cables, we dont have mics or anything. we also have an ok compy to put it on.)?

well it sort of depends really... thats is, where you get your mics from, how much they are what brand they are how much money do you have to spend??

so basically you need 2 mics which will get you out of micing the drums just. if you have more money you might want to buy a mic for the kick drum also but if you dont, dony wory about it..
Ok the drums are taken care of.. now you need to think of your instruments and how they are going to be put in to the computer. Are you going to put your amps staright into the computer form the line out of your amp or you have to think if you are going to mic them.
if you have effects pedals they can go directly into the computer if you wanna.
and remember you cant just record all the instruments at once unless you have an AUDIO INTERFACE which lets you plug all of your instruments into it and then you can use your softwares mixer.. OR you can use a mixer and plug that straight into the computer BUT you will have to do all of your mixing BEFORE you record. So if you go the mixer or interface way way you can record all of your instruments at once if you have a big enough one.
hope it helps.. if you want it simplified just tell me but this is pretty simplified.
\ give me a yell back if you need to ..
The Toneport will cover the guitars for the most part. Be aware though, only one guitar input can be used at a time, unless you use the connections in the back of the interface (UX2 that is). Also, make sure you find software from somewhere else than what comes with the Toneport. The stuff out of the box with the Toneport (Ableton Live) is only a demo, and you can't record more than four tracks, not to mention it's not very comprehensive. To stay cheap, your best bet is to overdub a ton.