I've been playing for a few years but I still have a hard time with barring chords. My hands and fingers are rather small and I can't quite get the hang of it. Other than changing the fingering of the chords, is there anything that makes barring easier?
just use the simple E bar chord for awhile. learn a song where it is all open chords but only one bar chord, or try them really hard for like 2 days, then you will inevitably get frustrated at the excessive pressure needed to do them. then say "screw it" and take a day or two off. then come back and try a song with bar chords in it, or take a song you know and use bar chords for it. they should be easier instantly.
just use the simple E bar chord for awhile. learn a song where it is all open chords but only one bar chord, or try them really hard for like 2 days, then you will inevitably get frustrated at the excessive pressure needed to do them. then say "screw it" and take a day or two off. then come back and try a song with bar chords in it, or take a song you know and use bar chords for it. they should be easier instantly.
- tommy
i got a secret! bar your index finger on the fret instead of behind it, like usual. it doesn't have quite the sustain, but it works.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Alot of it is your hand position, for example..

for barr chords you need to place the thumb of your fretting hand lower on the back neck of the guitar, you dont want it dragging over. bring your thumb down so you can bring your other fingers up. Alot of it is using a muscle in your hand you've never used before, and it can be tricky to get down at first. Really the only thing I can suggest is continue to practice it until you have it down. Barr chords are essential in improving yourself as a guitar player.
Quote by tubab0y
i got a secret! bar your index finger on the fret instead of behind it, like usual. it doesn't have quite the sustain, but it works.

thanks~i tried that and it seems to be working a little bit better. you're right about the lack of sustain, but its working for now. ty