As in, how the hell do I do them? I've been playing for a year and a half, so I'm still at the novice level, so are these in my reach with practice? For reference, probably the hardest thing I can play are the two solos in Metallica's One. Thanks guys, because pinch harmonics seem like a really useful skill.
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
It's pretty much just a normal pick stroke that also uses the meat of your thumb.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
hey ive been playin for like 7 months and i learned how, its not really that hard once u figure out what to do, most people put their thumb behind the pick and like pinch the string with their thumb, but i put my pinky on the string then pick it and pull off the string with my pinky,(u must find the spot with the harmonic also or it wont squeal) u have to bend the string at the same time u pick it for the sound to resonate and shriek, or else it will sound blank, when u learn to do it right u can add a vibrato to it also which sounds awesome, use it on all the strings to get a unique sound with each.
I'll give you fair warning: pinch harmonics don't sound good on all guitars/amps. If your pups aren't hot enough, you won't be able to hear them that well.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Just choke up on the pick as much as you can to the point you use your pick and thumb at the same time.
harmonics is basically the strings vibrating in equal segments a s opposed to a whole. you play an open string touching the 12th, it goes an octave up, adn both sections ring together, but in 2 segments. this is a crappy explaination of teh physics behind it, but it to give you and idea of waht you're trying to do

now when you pick, the aim of pinch harmonics is to use your thumb, as you grip teh pick and pick at the spot where teh harmonics are pronounced. basically, you choke up on teh pick and brush the string with your thumb as you pick.

sorry botu teh run on, hope this helps. dont be afraid to use google
CLOWNDEACAN
they're totally in your level, just go with what those guys before me said. My experience was that I learned it all at once- one time I could'nt do it for crap, and then one day I nailed it perfectly.
Thanks guys, this helps a lot, but do I have to strike right over the fret, or hit somewhere in the fret? And is it a different spot for each string? Well, I'm off to google...
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
Pinch harmonics are one of my favorite metal tricks.. And thats all they really are, tricks.. There just fun to throw in as fills during riffs or solos.. But doing them can be tricky, but its the kind of thing that you just keep trying, and eventually you do it, and remember what it felt like to do it, then you'll be able to do it from then on.. Basically what all these guys said is correct, but everyone does things different, i got really into doing them about 15 years ago, and heres how i like to do them..

A great song to learn how to do pinch harmonics is Crazy Train.. (find the live version tab if you can, theres one for guitar pro.) Theres only a single pinch harmonic in the song (on the 4th fret, G string.) but he does it every 2 riffs, and you have to be quick to get it in, so it makes for good practise..

Try it like this: First practise them on the G string (3rd string from the bottom) as thats the easiest string to get them off on (they sound the best on that string too, they really squeel) Ok, so hold your pick tight, and hold it towards the front of the pick (the sharp end) and have only a little bit of pick poking from your finger and thumb (just enough to hit the string if you hold it straight, but if you angle your hand down just a bit, your thumb will rub the string after your pick hits it) Then choose a fret to try the harmonic on (frets: 7, 9, & 12 are the easiest, but practise the 4th fret too as its harder, so if you can do it there, you can do the rest as well) So basically hold your pick the way i described, and when you want to play normally, hold your hand so the pick is kinda straight on the string so you hit the string clean, then when you want to do your harmonic, angle your hand down a little so your thumb rubs the string right after your pick strikes it, then bend the **** out of the string where you want to do the harmoic, but when you hold down the string on the fret, dont hold it in the middle of the fret like normal, press the string down just in front of the 5th fret, but still behind it (you can feel the 5th fret bar on the side of your bending finger, and your in the right area).. And dont be afraid to pluck the string firmly, but not to hard or it'll blunt out the sound...

I know that sounds a little detailed and complicated, but maby it'll help.. Its a hard trick to explain without just being able to show someone.. Keep workin on it, you'll get it.
Haha, thanks much Bones. I got a couple of squeals out of the 12th fret with that. I'll just practice a lot more of that now. Thanks a ton!
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Quote by g.siddarth
Thanks guys, this helps a lot, but do I have to strike right over the fret, or hit somewhere in the fret? And is it a different spot for each string? Well, I'm off to google...

there's your problem, don't hit over the fretboard, hit where you normally picky (i.e. between neck and bridge somewhere)
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.