Well, I've been playing for roughly two years now, and obviously I really enjoy it (how could you not ?) Anyhow, I've decided that I'm going to buy a new guitar.

The main dilemna is how much to spend. Im basically trying to decide whether or not I should get a middle line guitar (~$500) that I would *eventually* have to upgrade, or a higher end one that will last me for a long time (~$800?). Ive heard arguments for both, that it may be to early to get a higher end guitar, etc.

So, assuming I know what style I want to play (that being mostly metal), and I know im going to stick with it, and play till I can't physically do it what would you suggest ? Are there any real consequences to buying a more expensive guitar this early on (other than the obvious fact that if I stop playing it's more wasted money.) I have the money, but obviously don't want to waste it .

And just an FYI, currently i'm looking at various models from Ibanez, Jackson, and ESP.

Thanks for any input.
I say go for it, even if you don't become famous, you'll have many a stressless moments bashhing the hell out of a decent axe

k what do you have now? if it's ABOSULOTE garbage, bye a cheaper (~500) one, if you have a decent one (obviously not like a freaking les paul) then i'd hold back and save up and buy a REALLY good guitar around 900+

well that's my opinion, any idea for a design? v? normal strat shap? jackson kelly?
any other preferences?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
buy the nicer guitar. seriously. it will motivate you to play more and rise to the level of the guitar. plus its definately just more fun and enjoyable to play
Well if u have the money, i think you should buy a really nice Gibson. that way if you stop playing guitar you can sell it later for more than what you bought it for.
Quote by seek_&_destroy
I say go for it, even if you don't become famous, you'll have many a stressless moments bashhing the hell out of a decent axe

k what do you have now? if it's ABOSULOTE garbage, bye a cheaper (~500) one, if you have a decent one (obviously not like a freaking les paul) then i'd hold back and save up and buy a REALLY good guitar around 900+

well that's my opinion, any idea for a design? v? normal strat shap? jackson kelly?
any other preferences?

Right now I have a Washburn Oscar Schmidt. I found it a great guitar while I was still learning the basics, and it still performs good, but I want an upgrade .

It's not a matter of saving up really, I have enough money either way atm.

Right now im feeling either a V design, but possibly something like http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2910105585.
i would go with an esp or a dean. Both are great for metal and are good quality guitars
It seems more of a classic rock amp to me "Steve Miller from the Steve Miller Band uses it backstage". Its all good though, nothing a good ol' distortion pedal cant fix. If you want a V shape then for the RR3. If you want a super state of the art tremolo, then by all means go for the S470.
Quote by altarofdemise
It seems more of a classic rock amp to me "Steve Miller from the Steve Miller Band uses it backstage". Its all good though, nothing a good ol' distortion pedal cant fix. If you want a V shape then for the RR3. If you want a super state of the art tremolo, then by all means go for the S470.

Yeah, it's actually not my amp, im just borrowing it (though, ive had it for a year and he doesnt seem to want it back :|). So eventually i'll be buying another one regardless, but I figured it would be good enough for now (didnt want to have to save up twice the money just yet ).

Thanks for the suggestions, by looks I like the RR3, but I'll definately have to play both.
Definitly, the S470's tremolo is smoother but doesnt have as much of a scale (I forgot the word) It doesnt pull back quite as far as an Original Floyd Rose but it is way smoother.