is there any way i can customize my marshall for more gain? is there anything i can do without using pedals? i have a JTM 60 and i simply love the tone, but sometimes i feel a little more gain would be nice. any ideas? btw i want to keep my marshalls original tone
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
my amp? yea it has a gain contol and a channel volume which is suppose to control the volume of the pre amp

whats this attenuator? never heard of it before
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

An attenuator is used to make the power of your amp lower to different amounds when you plug it in. They are for tube amps. You can plug one in and set it for 5watts. You can then turn your amp's master volume all the way up to crank it so it sounds its best, but the attenuator makes it only as loud as 5watts.

Heres the best one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/THD-Hot-Plate-Attenuator?sku=481283 . Make sure, though you select the right ohm option, though, from the drop down menu so it will work with your amp.
that looks great, but i dont really want to spend that kind of money right now. ill definatly keep it in mind though. are there any modifications that i can do to my amp that wont eat my entire wallet
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

Quote by Waterboy799
that looks great, but i dont really want to spend that kind of money right now. ill definatly keep it in mind though. are there any modifications that i can do to my amp that wont eat my entire wallet

yea... i definately understand. hmmm what else can you do... all i cant think of is to build and exernal gain boost pedal. Ask Greenbox and That_Pink_Queen though. They have built tube amps and know that stuff. Im an external effects builder . Good luck.
thanks man

anyone else got any ideas?
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

if you wanna spend a ****load send it to marshall.
then you can say i have a CUSTOM marshall JTM 60. (ive never heard of JTM)
you sure its not JCM?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
the JTM's were the first line of marshall amps ever startin with the JTM 40
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

wow...i guess its pretty vintage then.
marshalls been around along time right?
i would assume there isnt much gain coming from it.
its probably not built for it.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
its a reissue, was made like 8 years ago, and its a JTM 60, so it has more gain then the JTM 40, but i'd just like to have more, unlike the 40 the 60 has a gain channel
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

oh...whats wrong with an over drive?
im sure there are some without EQ to mess with the tone, and just plainly overdrive.
if not, record yourself playing with the current setup.
then listen to the recording whille messing around with the OD pedal to find the same tone, but a little more punch.
but then its not really the same tone..but you know what im saying dawg right?
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Ampeg 50 watt
Dude why not use a pedal? It would cost about the same and saves a **** load of time
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Why not just buy an overdrive pedal, turn the gain halfway-ish, tone to wherever matches your amps original tone, and BAM, you're set.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
There's are loads of ways to increase the gain of the amp, but IMO you shouldn't just dive in unless you know exactly what you're doing and what you want to achieve. Modding an amp is a great way to get new sounds but without at least some knowledge of the inner workings it could turn out worse (and you could turn out dead.) For example one way of increasing the gain of an amp is to ncrease the plate load resistors to higher values, however you can't just swap these out because you will end up changing the bias point of the pre-amp and may cause the pre-amp stages to work at an un-linear part of their curve leading to low power and harsh clipping. Similarly by switching the plate loads you completely change the bass response of the amp (due to the high pass filter that the plate load resistors make up.) So to maintain the same tonality you will need to some serious reverse engineering.

Not to mention if your amp is a clean amp then it's likely that you won't have enough tube stages to make it high gain without it motor-boating out of control.

If you want my advice I'd make a booster pedal, you can make it have quite a hi-fi response so your tone will stay the same but you should hit your tubes harder causing more OD. If you want serious gain (like metal levels) you've really got the rong amp and won't be able to keep the same tonality with super high gain (because when you pile on the gain the bass response becomes overpowering and low gain amps are generally bassier to begin with.)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
dammit you're knowledgeable power freak. DAMN!!!!
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Wow, and here I was just going to suggest "using a boost pedal." Power freak comes and steals what little thunder I had to offer. This is all I have left ->

Anyway, you don't need to make (or buy) a separate pedal, you could test it out by using whatever pedal you may have, turning the gain or "effects" down and turning the volume or output (or whatever) up. Alot of times I find that this gives me more than enough gain. It actually kinda makes my CS-3 act like a overdrive pedal, except the thing it's overdriving is my amp.
Last edited by greenbox at Jul 16, 2006,
I concur on the pedal idea, really, make it easier on yourself. Theres nothing wrong with using an overdrive/boost pedal (except if you're playing through a solid state amp )

they really kick your amp up a notch in a nice way most of the time
thanks for the advice and i already have an overdrive pedal, a Boss super overdrive, but when i use it to boost my amp, chords sound muddy, so i only use the pedal for solos. and no im not looking for any metal gain levels. but i just find using my pedal ruins the tone and makes the amp muddy.

thanks for all your advice though
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

an ibanez ts808 will do it. picture SRV attack with that killer amp you have. If you are looking for a classic rock tone, you might want to try a fuzz such as the fuzzface
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
the tubescreamer looks good, ill definatly look into it, thanks
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction