Page 1 of 2
List the song (or songs) which somehow improved your guitar tremendously and how it helped.

This thread is also good for beginners to learn songs that can improve your skill.

Layla (acoustic) by Eric Clapton - all i learned was that little intro and it helped to form bar chords a lot better. It also helped me to learn how position my fingers during solos. This song is a good strength builder and good practice for switching from barre chords to regular (ie. bar C to Dm).

Heart of Gold by Neil Young - learned rythm and hammer-ons from this song. This was the first song I learned.
Quote by chinospike
Jimi Hendrix - Little wing

that and Castles Made of Sand by Jimi
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Smells like teen spirit- Nirvana
Not the greatest song on earth, but it helped me to learn and understand how power chords worked and its simple enough for any begginer to learn. One of my first songs...
Black Dog and Rock n Roll by Zeppelin, Black Dog is finger movement and Rock n Roll is rock rythm, White Summer Black Mountain side as well
classical gas- eric clapton

hmm, I don't know, it helped me learn about abunch of different techniques that can make a song sound good, while changing speeds alot
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
the "Betcha can't play this!" sections of guitar world
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
Honestly, i haven't really had a breakout song. Because im to lazy to learn most songs all the way through :P
Don't Sacrifice a Tree for the whole forest

Quote by jsxxx
just stroke up and down and experiment...find what feels right.
Jack Johnson - Better Together
It helped me with my slides.

Richard Marx - Now and Forever
It helped me with finger picking.

Yellowcard - Empty Apartment
It helped me with remembering solos.
Daffodils for Delilah.
Acoustic EP.
Is There Anybody out There? by Pink Floyd

Recently I've been learning the rythm part for Sultans of Swing. That's really good for practicing barre chords.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Master of Puppets

Not a difficult song by any means, but it's the first song actually sat down and learned all the way through. It opened me up to alot of things.
"What it is (Nina's Song)" by RHCP (Bonus track on first album)

It's a solo bass song, I'd be practicing with proper slapping technique for a little wile but learning this song brung it all together. I grew hugely from learning it.
"Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" by Metallica, awesome for like everything and also
"Air to Air" by Theodore Ziras...awesome song
Ibanez S520
Yamaha Pacifica 112 with JB.Jr Neck pickup
Ibanez Custom Blazer
Peavey Bandit 112, Marshall Valvestate 20
Marshall Jackhammer, Zoom 505 effects, Boss ME-50
Boss Pw 10 V Wah
Dunlop 1.5mm Picks, D'addario standard Strings
probably like radiohead acoustic songs for chord transitions. and then i'm alright - neil zaza
purple haze solo - it was the first big solo i ever performed in front of 20 + people in 6th grade after playin for 1 year ( took about a month to learn tho )

dream theater - metropolis - it goes through so many different modes and once i was done learning it i improved alot because of the fast runs, sometime's akward fingerings, timing.
Rock and Roll by Led Zeppelin.
Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
Quote by 2timminsa
Ockeroid you advatar is awsome

Why thank you, I made it my self

Just need to make a sig now...
Quote by Bodomizer
Master of Puppets

Not a difficult song by any means, but it's the first song actually sat down and learned all the way through. It opened me up to alot of things.

Same for me. I was sooo proud when I finally could play the main riff.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Enter Sandman for my rhythm, One for lead.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Stairway to Heaven

1) Most simplest chords

2) good for switching from chord to chord

3) increased stamina since it's 8 min. long
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Quote by pacoasterrider
sugar were going down - fall out boy

Quote by yawn
My work here is done.

Destroying the lives of innocent people, one post at a time.

Member of the 'Muse > any other band' club
Yngwie Malmsteen- Trilogy Suite Opus 5. That song showed me shred and gave me the idea to learn it.
Rock N Roll Is Dead!!!!!
Quote by chinospike
Jimi Hendrix - Little wing

That and bunches of AC/DC songs and Hotel California. I dunno if they boosted my playing so much, but they boosted my confidence a lot.
Fade to Black - Metallica

I learned so much from that song. I finally overcame the alternate picking wall I was struggling to get over, and Leanred how to use all of my fingers, not just two. I also learned how to hybrid pick from it.
Quote by grimreaper65
Har har har. Go stuff your panties with toads and then masturbate.

Ahh, I love the Pit.

Quote by SilentDeftone
I don't need to report you, I can just ban you instead.

-SD

Owned!
Master of Puppets really helped me with my downpicking technique.
Kissing the Shadows helped me nail my pick/hand coordination and alternate picking in time.
Psalm of Lydia and This Godless Endeavor I'm using to practice sweep picking.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

id say that me learning all the songs off of claptons unplugged album really got me going and developed my love of blues, slide, and finger style stuff.

for electric it was prolly trying to learn SRV's version of little wing. i got the beginning down but i couldnt really do the rest so it forced me to be better at making solos and learning by ear.

right now my breakthrough song is broken hearted by eric clapton. its really helped me with singing while playing. im getting much better at doing both now, its almost not even an issue at all. i still cant sing and play hotle california. i can do it with chords but not the with the arpegio parts. that'll prolly be my next break through.
"Dust in the Wind" by Kansas, one of the most amazing acoustic songs ever...made me work a lot more on my fingerpicking techniques....

All Dire Straits stuff....made me work harder on my understanding of melodies.......

"Revelations" by Iron Maiden....I still remember well......made me see.....

But there are obviously hundreds of songs that make you learn and think about your playing...so it was in the past....impossible to remember a single one.
My Rig:

Ibanez RBM - I adore this axe!!
Fender Strat (Duncan PU's + Floyd-Rose)
Washburn Acoustic
Kustom Quad200 Amp-Head
Cusom-made 2x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig2 (for Recording...awesome!)
Dunlop Cry-Baby
Rocktron Intellifex
Boss SD-1
Black Dog and Since I've Been Loving You by Led Zeppelin
It helped the most on how to use the Pent. Minor and so many other lead tricks.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Lonely Day by SOAD improved my fingering quite a lot even though its quite simple to play.

And the intro to Scar Tissue improved my finger picking.
the intro to sanitarium introduced me to the basics of natural harmonics as well as sweep picking. as well teh intro to nothing else matters got me interested in classical fingerpicking. now i can play Air by bach with distortion lol
Quote by Metalology

................../´¯/)
...............,/¯..//
............./....//
....../´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
.../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
.('( ...´(..´......,~/'...')
..\.................\/..../
...''...\.......... _.·´
....\..........(

bassmonkey16@nexopia
Page 1 of 2