Now, this may seem like a stupid question, but with all the bass talking I've done with friends and other musicians I've heard it said as Jay-co, and Jack-o, along with his last name being Pastor-ee-us, and Pastor-us. Just wondering if anyone knows the correct way to pronounce his name?
I say it like "jah-ko" with a strong o, kinda like Jack-o, but Jah, Pastror-ee-us
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
I just asked my other friend, and he insist's it's pronounced "Jock-oh" or "Giack-oh" with a French sounding J sound.
Umm, who is he?
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
I say Jake-o (jay-co, same thing) Pas-tor-eeus...Any other pronunciation sounds wrong to me, I hate it when I talk about Jaco with other people and they say Jacko, it reminds me of Michael Jackson...that may be the correct pronunciation though, I dont know...

and considering that Jaco was Peruvian, I think Jake-o would be the proper way to say his spanish name in english...saying his spanish name in spanish would be as horazon said, Jah-co...or Hah-co since the J is soft in spanish sometimes, but not this time I think....
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 15, 2006,
Quote by AngelGC
Umm, who is he?

hahahaha people are funny
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
According to wikipedia, it was derived from a nickname "Jocko". There for, Jock - o would seem to be the correct pronunciation. I have always said Jay-co though, and I think it sounds much cooler.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Quote by pink chili
hahahaha people are funny

Seriously, who is he? I don't know many bass players name.
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
^ Commonly (correctly or not) regarded as the greatest electric bassist of all time. Notable for his work with Weather Report and his solo career, especially his self titled debut. Blazing speed and vast theoretical knowledge with ground breaking use of harmonics as well as mastery of the fretless bass. Could make the instrument sound like a horn, a guitar, an upright, etc.

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

he was a cocky motherf*cker too

someone tellem how he died, i get a kick out of it every time i hear it
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Didnt he get in a fight with a bouncer?
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
he was a cocky motherf*cker too

someone tellem how he died, i get a kick out of it every time i hear it

Eh...didn't he get drunk and then beat in a back alley by some bouncers? Heard he got his skull crushed in or something like that.
back in '76 i pried the frets off of jaco pastorius's bass hoping he wouldnt play as good.................damn did that backfire
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

Quote by bassmanjoe08
back in '76 i pried the frets off of jaco pastorius's bass hoping he wouldnt play as good.................damn did that backfire

I'm sigging that.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
interesting little life he had
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
Quote by HorridxHopes
Eh...didn't he get drunk and then beat in a back alley by some bouncers? Heard he got his skull crushed in or something like that.

he was in a bar and he picked a fight with a guy who knew martial arts, he got his aass kicked into a coma and died in the hospital
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay

FUK

it's jock oh
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
he was in a bar and he picked a fight with a guy who knew martial arts, he got his aass kicked into a coma and died in the hospital

No he didn't.

It was a club, he wanted to get in because he's famous, the guy woudln't let him he said "Let me in I'm Jock-Oh (Answering both questions) Pastorius a musician who knows these guys" and the bouncer beat him up.

Jock-Oh Past-Or-Ee-Us
haha
Well, the bouncer knew martial arts.

And one of his eyes was out of its socket, I believe.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
Jah Coh

Pas Taur Ree us

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
what are you talking about? its not that ahrd of a name.

JA-CO PAS-TORI-YOOS

say it like that...
...And The Nominees Are
I love the way you are all so confident without actually knowing at all how to pronounce it. I've seen interviews with him, and when he refers to himself in the third person, he always says Jack-O..
i always say jack-oh pah-story-us
my sax teacher saw him in concert, and calls him that.
i need to get a better signature.
jack (french J though) o pass torr E us.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
to finish the debate on "how he died" i quote from wikipedia.
"fter sneaking onstage at a Carlos Santana concert September 11, 1987, he made his way to the Midnight Bottle Club in Wilton Manors, Florida. He was trying to show off his playing. There he was brutally beaten into a coma after an altercation with the manager of the club, Luc Havan, who was trained in martial arts. Coincidentally, this location is barely one mile from his childhood home. He suffered irreversible brain damage. After life support was removed, his heart continued to beat for three hours."
its a bad death nomatter whos right
I didnt know there was a debate on that... yeah.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Its Jack-o, if you get hold of his DVD, the dude interviewing him calls him Jack-o all the time
Yes its Jack-o Past-orius and if any of you people want to know the low down on him just go to http://www.jacop.net/ his family web site...personally Jaco is one of my greatest inspirations i even have a tatto of his trademark bass playing stick figure and the site has alot of storys from his wife Ingrid's perspective which is quite interesting
Quote by RIC4003
Yes its Jack-o Past-orius and if any of you people want to know the low down on him just go to http://www.jacop.net/ his family web site...personally Jaco is one of my greatest inspirations i even have a tatto of his trademark bass playing stick figure and the site has alot of storys from his wife Ingrid's perspective which is quite interesting

You should write a book about him.

Which reminds me... I'm sure there are some books about him, anyone ever read any?
All the Jaco books in circulation have been critically trashed by Jaco's friends (Pat Methany) and family. The intro to the latest addition of his self titled CD hits upon this as well. I'm sure they'd be an interesting read anyway, though.

Quote by crazypeanutman

You should write a book about him.

Thanks for the compliment but there is just to much about him to fit into a book

by the way to all those who think he was just an arrogant fool in his later years he sufferd from a form of manic depression which surely didnt help the situation
Where did he get his nickname?

He was (in his early years) a great basketball player-- a jock. Initially, he was given the nickname Jocko because of this, and the spelling eventually became Jaco.

During his stint with Weather Report, he would run around looking for talcum powder to sprinkle onto the stage, so that he could run and slide across the stage while playing his bass. He would run from the back of the auditorium as the rest of the band would start the first song, and would jump up onto stage, do a backflip and plug in his bass just in time for the first bass note to come in. He did all this BEFORE his dabblings with cocaine and alcohol. He was all about staying healthy during his early years--it was the separation from his wife and kids and the months on the road away from them that drew him to drink and led him down a path of drugs to escape the pain of depression and loneliness.
^^^ Yeah, I really wanna see that, would be so awesome if you could actually do that and still manage to rock the place with awesome bass playing.

"All the Jaco books in circulation have been critically trashed by Jaco's friends (Pat Methany)"

Partially correct, however it is also known at Pat Methany had a profound disliking for Jaco after proforming with him on a few occasions. Pat Methany is very egotistic and was always upstadged by Jaco due to Jaco being alot better musician and song writer then he was. He disliked that and Pat Methany also used to do loads of drugs along with Jaco, which in turn fueled Jaco on to do stupid things. Pat Methany has said alot of nice things about Jaco, but he has also said and done alot more bad things to do with Jaco.
Jake-Oh Past-Or-ee-us.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.