Hi, Im just wondering if there is any specific name for these types of chords.

When your guitar is in drop D tuning and you play chords like the following:


If you get what im trying to say. When there are three notes on the D, A and D strings all on the same fret. Is there a specific name for these notes?
okay, awesome. Thanks. Do you know why artists use them? is it mainly to get a deep/lower sound?
Yeah deeper and lower sound plus you can play power chords much quicker.
I am Puddin' Taine! of the Primus Sucks club. PM StratEnRegalia to join!

Member #1 of the Ipods Suck Balls Club

Member #2 Of the Parker>All Other Brands Club, PM dementedpuppy to Join.
Yeh if you look in songs such as Prison Song, and Chop Suey by SOAD for example they switch from 1 on all top 3 frets, to 3. or 5 on all top 3 frets to 6.. And so forth..

That might be hard to understand, so heres an example of what i meant..

Don't Sacrifice a Tree for the whole forest

Quote by jsxxx
just stroke up and down and experiment...find what feels right.
Last edited by FlyingVortex at Jul 16, 2006,
well, listen to any nu-metal band and they use them, i.e.

System of a Down
Linkin Park
Papa Roach

Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
The term power chord is actually a misnomer, it is technically just the root with an added 5th (which doesn't make a chord) so their symbol would be X5. As for who uses them, a TON of metal bands, they're fairly usefull. But as was said, its just used to make things sound heavier.
Originally posted by TMH88
Im not trying to brag or anything, but im pretty good for only having been playing a month. I play about 1-2 hours every day, about 35 days strait....

Yay for 35 day months!