Hey out there i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to make that squealing/screaming sound come out of your with your whammy bar? A few examples of what i mean can be found in most satriani songs, specifically satch boogie. Ive also seen john frusciante do it in a few live videos where he picks at the headstock and moves the whammy. if anyone has any details on how to do this or tips that would be great.

thanx in advance
Cheese is good, but Jimmy Page is god!
what you gotta do is, well do you know how to pinch harmonics?
if so, do those and just use the whammy bars
or if you want it to be higher
what you gotta do it pull off the string, dump the bar down, and tap the harmonic coming up with the whammy bar, then just pull and do whatever
you can tap it at 2 3 4 5 7 9 12 15 19 22 24 frets, on the others, it is possible but harder
just do a pinch harmonic and dive the whammy bar. most of the time joe does a pinch harmonic on the open G string
an easy way to get those really high pitched squeals is with pinch harmonics and pulling your wammy bar up to raise the pitch.. If you have a good tremlo (floyd rose or something similar) so you can pull your wammy bar up far you can really hit those kind of notes.. Of course if you cant do pinch harmoics then you'll need to practise that first, but thats not hard to learn..

As for plucking the strings at the headstock, you can do that pretty easy too, if you dont have a locking nut on your guitar, its easy, just pluck the string at the headstock (usually in the middle somewhere so you can get the most sound) and mess with your wammy, simple as that, or if you want to add a nice touch, do the same thing but do a harmonic at the 12 fret of the string you pluck at the headstock, if you do it right you'll a really high ring (hotter the pickups better it'll work) then pull up the wammy and listen to it squeal..

Not practical techniques for sure, but fun to do when showing off..
I think what hes talking about is when they play something, they sometimes grab the headstock and pull it back, but hold the body so it doesnt move. You can do this for a whammy type effect, but it depends how your neck is set in your body. And also, you cant do a huge whammy effect from it. Also, they sometimes play something, hold it out in front of them and shake it. That gives a vibrato tone.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
I think what hes talking about is when they play something, they sometimes grab the headstock and pull it back, but hold the body so it doesnt move. You can do this for a whammy type effect, but it depends how your neck is set in your body. And also, you cant do a huge whammy effect from it. Also, they sometimes play something, hold it out in front of them and shake it. That gives a vibrato tone.

yeh what theyre really doing is flexing the neck which in short burst is alright.