I have recently tried out a Traynor YCV40. Beautiful amp love the cleans, but it doesnt quite have enough gain for my likings (I play metal). So my question is...

Do you suggest buying an overdrive pedal and boosting the drive channel?, or buying a distortion pedal and driving the cleans?

also, if you clould recommend a few pedals along with your answer that'd be great.

BTW, looking for metallica-ish type tone.
Get a good overdrive pedal and push the dirty channel harder. Mabey a Jeckyl and Hyde pedal. It has both type of drives.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I'd suggest getting an amp with a good dirty channel, then buy a good EQ pedal or preamp, but if you are dead set on getting that amp, I'd get a preamp with a good dirty sound(may be a little pricey). pedals usually sound muddy, and have lots of noise, so to get a real clean distortion sound you may want to run a EQ pedal or noise gate after a OD(an ibanez tubescreamer is great).
Gear:ESP B50 Bass , Ibanez Bass Practice amp, Dean Vendetta 4F , Dean TEVO, Epiphone Special SG, Dimarzio pickups, 30-watt Randall combo, 95Q Crybaby wah, Dunlop Picks, Dadarrio strings, MXR six-band eq.