okay, heres the deal, my birthday is coming up and i want to buy myself an electric guitar (i already have 2 acoustics) i found a PRS SE for $499(U.S) as recomended by a friend of mine because it is "a great guitar for the price" it has both kinds of pickups single coil and humbucker (of which i know almost nothing about, i'm totally new to electric) so i "get the best of both worlds" the guy is also going to sell me a low-wattage practice amp and a cable and strap and all the bells and whistles, and the whole package (including tax) is going to run me about $650, does anyone have any input on wether or not this is a good deal? or even what sort of guitar i should buy? like i said, i'm clueless when it comes to buying anything that attatches to an amp
that guitar isnt great.
get a squire tele...but get a higher one.
or even a real fender for about the same price.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
Quote by xsynysterx06
that guitar isnt great.
get a squire tele...but get a higher one.
or even a real fender for about the same price.

ehh...i wouldnt choose squire over prs any day
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
what are all these bells and whistles? And what guage of strings will be on it, you may want heavier strings to help ease the acoutic-to-electric transition. That may nessecitate a set up by a professional, or someone who knows their ****.

And it sounds like a good deal, I wish i could have had a PRS for a first electric.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
i played the PRS...it plays just like a squier.
its made for beginners as is squire.
but since it says PRS, its more money.
you could save alot of money by not getting it.
with my first guitar, first real amp, and pedals...it cost me about $600.
your getting a guitar, cables, strap. and small practice amp for more than that.
i can be loudder than a drum set.
you cant hear most practice amps over your grandma farting.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
the guy that i'm buying it from (and when i say guy, i mean the guy at the music store) said that it was a good enough guitar for me to perform with, if ever need be, i dont know about that with it being just $499 and all...i dont necissarily want a begginers guitar, but i dont want a top-of-the-line-going-to-leave-a-2000-dollar-hole-in-my-pocket guitar either, something thats not expensive, and sounds great, and something that i can use a wide variety of distortions on...does that ring any bells for anyone? (one of my acoustics is an ibanez, which i am very satisfied with, does ibanez offer anything like i'm looking for?)
ibanez makes guitar for shredders....well...the majority of them anyway...you might want to have a look in the epiphone/gibson department

Quote by Homer Simpson
Quote by brandonian
call me stupid and ignorant, but arent most gibson guitars hella expensive?

hella expensive X 4
heh, thats why i stuck epiphone in there :P

Quote by Homer Simpson
well, due to circumstances beyond my control, i can't buy anything off of the internet, it has to be a walk in purchase...but i have a list of everything that the store i'm looking at has in stock, i see some epiphones in there :P http://www.lippmanmusic.com/listbyType.aspx?subCat=1 if anything stands out to any one of you guys, let me know....les paul maybe? who knows? not me
The SE series really isn't that bad. Just get the one with the tremolo rather than the stopbar tailpiece, if available. I have a PRS SE Soapbar II and I like it. Doesn't get as much playing time as my other guitars, but I love the sound.
Hi, I'm Peter
hmm...i think i want something that rates a little higher than "isnt that bad" on the goodness/badness scale, i want to make this guitar an investment thats going to last me a long time and sound great until the darned thing falls apart on me

yeah, wouldn't i love to have the les paul standard if i could come up with like 100 more bucks...so close...yet so far
Go with the PRS but may I suggest the Tremonti SE?
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
Well, that was just a post in response to the previous person's characterization that the PRS SE series is as bad as Squier. It isn't. They're good guitars. I've had mine for over a year now and really love the warm tone from the soapbars. I haven't played all of them, though, and different people like different things. It does have a bit of a different neck feel, but I've got big hands so I like necks that have a little more substance. It's finished really well and the action is good.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Well, that was just a post in response to the previous person's characterization that the PRS SE series is as bad as Squier. It isn't. They're good guitars. I've had mine for over a year now and really love the warm tone from the soapbars. I haven't played all of them, though, and different people like different things. It does have a bit of a different neck feel, but I've got big hands so I like necks that have a little more substance. It's finished really well and the action is good.

so you're saying that the PRS SE is a good guitar - i believe you, and the whole purpose of this thread is to find out wether or not i'll be wasting my money if i choose to buy one...this is probably going to be the only electric that i'll buy for a while, so i want to be able to play a wide variety of music on it, will i be able to do that?
Quote by brandonian
okay - the PRS and the Tremonti are the same price - so whats the difference?

The PRS Tremonti SE is a singlecut carved top. Looks better, IMO, than the flat-top doublecuts. Plus, as you get better you can drop Tremonti pickups in there and have a pretty kickass guitar.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
^ I doubt he's going to spend $250 on a set of pickups anytime soon.

I agree that you may eventually want to do a pickup upgrade on it, but when you're first doing it, tone doesn't matter as much as playability. I find my PRS has good playability. Not as good as my American made PRS, obviously, but better than the Squier or the Epiphone SG-copy I owned 9-10 years ago when I first started playing.
Hi, I'm Peter
okay...i'll go up to the music store tomorrow and look at them both and see what i think...i know that alot of it is just personal prefrence and i wont be able to choose one without first trying it out for myself
^^ Precisely. Good luck. Hope you find something you really like.
Hi, I'm Peter