i've heard good things about it...anybody have any input? i dont wanna spend 25 bucks on a sucky book i'll never use...
IMO, Its the easiest thing I've had to introduce theory. It has a lot of scales and coresponding chords for each in every key. Theres a few of them, Scales, Chords, Proggressions, etc.

I highly recomend them.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
highly reccomend, eh? you're not the first person to say that to me...believe it or not
Id believe it, lol. It is a great series of books, they tell you everything you really need to know, then give you tons of options to try it out like i said before in every key.

It was acctually recomended to my by a keyboardist whos guitar friend all use it lol.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
haha, thats funny, well, i'll take a trip up to the music store tomorrow and see what i can find
I will disagree with that recommendation. Well, maybe I do. The Grimoire series books are reference books, not instructional books. If you want to figure out the hows and whys of theory, they're not the place to look. If you want a compendium of knowledge with little or no guidance, they're excellent. So if you're an absolute theory beginner, I say don't do it. If you have some theory knowledge and want to broaden your knowledge base, they're great resources.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jul 16, 2006,
i've got some theory knowlege, and i'm looking to broaden, i've got a pretty basic knowlege of theory at this point, and i want my knowlege to grow
Cool. Then you could go with one of them. I bought one a couple years ago. Check 'em out, give one a good flip-through and decide if that's what you need. You'll know pretty quickly if that's what you want.
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm thinking of buying them as well but i was wondering are they written in tab or in a proper music clef?
It depends. The one I have is mostly fingering charts, so it gives you the layout of the fretboard and all the possible notes within that particular mode/scale.
Hi, I'm Peter
I have the scale book, it's wonderful.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I like the books a lot they really kicked my improv. skills up a knotch once I messed around with some of the modes and scales I never really played before. But they are still not a disciplined training guide to theory. Basically I enjoy just skimming through them practicing weird finger paterns and in the third book Improv. and Progressions, it has a really cool chord progresssion practice guide.
Ninjaz get Drunk freak out and kill people all the time and then totally wail on geetarz
I hated the scale book so much I didn't buy it.

My first complaint is that EVERY SINGLE scale has EVERY SINGLE pattern. What it should do, and what the Keyboard version does, is show you each pattern, but not for every single scale. This increases the size of the book by about 11x. My second complain is that it doesn't show the root or intervals for easy reference.
Plus it doesn't even have as many scales as some online sites.
And the explanation it gives for scales/modes/construction is way more confusing than it needs to be.

The Progressions and Improvisations book is pretty cool, but nothing you couldn't figure out on your own in relatively short time.
primusfan
It's better with no teeth, trust me. Much fewer scars on my penis now that I've switched from seniors in high school to senior citizens.
My teacher made me buy the scale version, but we use it solely for reference and demonstration.
R.I.P. Shawn "Memphis Monster" Lane

Member #8 of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join < 110% credit to t2russo