So, I guess many people here go to the gym, seeing as UG has thousands of members. So here we can discuss things like why we go to the gym, what we listen to there, technique, goals, status, etc.

I go to the gym just because I was a skinny unhealthy bastard. I've been going for over half a year, and I've gained 20 pounds of muscle. I go three times a week, and do full body exercises every day. Mostly upper body, but I should start on my legs. I've been doing machine exercises mostly for a looong time, but recently I've taken a liking to free weights a lot more, it's a lot more challenging and rewarding to me.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Last edited by AzureNight at Jul 16, 2006,
I play squash almost daily, so I get my workout for lower body, and even a bit of upper body. I mainly train on abs now. I use the matt though so i stick with crunches, sit-ups, and 'bicycle', just no weights. Upperbody I work out only twice a week, usually just push-ups or something...
I find that push-ups and sit-ups show great results and save money. But the Gym is a good place to go if you want to swim, play basketball, and weight-lift. I think that people that go there and just use the treadmill are throwing money in the trash-can.
I don't exercise as much now that I've lost the 38 pounds I wanted to lose, but I used to do about 45 minutes of jumping jacks every day. I did that for 3 months and dieted and lost almost 40 pounds. Not bad?
ive been lifting weights for 2 years, i started cause i was kinda chunky. I lost 20 pounds and now im all buff and ****. i do free weights mainly upper body. i do a lot of chest and arms
Two words:

Shotokan Karate
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top w/ Seymour Duncans
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top w/ Dimarzios
Peavey Windsor Halfstack
MXR Distortion III
Dunlop Jazz 3 picks (Red)
DR Tite-fit 10's
Monster Cables
I started working out regularly about a month ago. Haven't seen too much change yet, but I'm going to keep with it. Just added cardio recently, so I spend about an hour a day in the gym.
Hi, I'm Peter
Hey AzureNight, you gained 20 lbs of muscle in half a year!?!? WOW!! That's impressive! You see, I am one of those guys who is lacking in weight, (otherwise known as "skinny boys") and I've been trying to gain some pounds. Right now, I am 5' 7 1/2" 140lbs. How did you gain so much? What was your diet?
Quote by PsYk0PatHiK
Hey AzureNight, you gained 20 lbs of muscle in half a year!?!? WOW!! That's impressive! You see, I am one of those guys who is lacking in weight, (otherwise known as "skinny boys") and I've been trying to gain some pounds. Right now, I am 5' 7 1/2" 140lbs. How did you gain so much? What was your diet?

My friend is 5'9 and 105. Owned.
I need to start working out. Even though I live an active and healthy lifestyle© that keeps me pretty fit, I want to start toning my muscles a bit. Does anyone have a link to a site with excercises that don't require anything in terms of weight or equipment? I don't have any, I'm not about to get a gym membership and I want to move beyond pushups and situps. I remember looking a while ago without much luck.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
ive been doing bench weights and curling every other day and if i couldnt get to a bench or weights i would do push ups, and i have been trying to do sit ups for my abs but im really not getting any results:-/
I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive.

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
get new friends. i dont associate with Fall Out Boy fans. they deserve cancer and humiliation. like ass cancer.
i don't go to the gym but...i sit in my room and work on my forearms..if ya know what i mean

or just play the guitar.
Man: "I'd like to call you. What's your number?"
Woman: "It's in the phone book."

Man: "But I don't know your name."
Woman: "That's in the phone book too."
Quote by PsYk0PatHiK

I'm still battling with not being able to put on much weight but i have made progress sinc ive been going to a gym. I have mush better diffinition and have gained muscle mass and a bit of weight but i know its a long patient process.
I try to eat lots of carbs for energy and plenty of protein too, Try some off the podwer prtien (whey protein.)
As a workout i mostly do upper body which inculdes free weight shoulder presses, push ups and chin ups and bicep/triceps exercises and incline, decline and flat bench pressing.
I hope some of this helps some people I have also found that going to the gym has improved my guitar playing as I used to have bad rsi in my wrists and just generally having stronger arms no, i can play a little faster and have alittle more stamina.
machines are evil

free weights are far more benificial because you work muscles that you're not directly working if ya get what i mean

machines isolate too much, can be a good thing sometimes i suppose, but free weights > machines
I'm 6' and 65 kg. I need muscle. Any tips for getting muscle, with going to a gym? Mabye just in home stuff?
I'm in the 'Australia FTW' Club. Join

Hi
I'm 5'11", weigh 140 lbs and have 5-6% body fat. I go to the gym 4 times a week for about 3 hours (mainly in the early morning hours). I also run, do sit ups, push ups, and yoga at home or whatever hotel I'm staying in at the time. At the gym I mainly do machine exercises but I have been known to do free weights. I also go swimming when I can.
There once was a man who really loved salt
So he tied his nose to the sea
And then God came down from his silver throne
And said, 'Honey, that water ain't free
I exercise my fingers everyday. Wether it be computer or guitar...

In all seriousness though, no. I don't do exercise or weights. I really should though.

And also, if you can lift your own weight is that considered any good?
roar
I have a gym in my basement, tread mill, weight machine, pheonex ab thing. I work out every other day to stay in tip top shape for the ladies.
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
Can someone write a list of excercises for different parts of the body? Sorta like:

Biceps - *insert excercise here*
Triceps - *insert excercise here*
Shoulders - *insert excercise here*
Lats -*insert excercise here*

Etc...

Thanks.
Originally posted by Camakazie:

On my gravestone i want jesus and satan fighting with lightsabers. Or a big hand pointing to the grave next to me saying "I'm with stupid"

Superman of the UG heroes and villans club, P.M. josh999x to join
Biceps - curls
Triceps - take a dumbell and lif it behind your head, your arms pointing stiraght up bent at elbow, raise and lower the bar slowly using your triceps like from down below your back to up in the air.
Shoulders -ermm not sure
Lats - - Latt Pull downs, ironically
Abs - Situps
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
shoulders - hold a dumbell and raise your arm up from the side so its straight out, jesus on the cross style

pecs - bench press

quads - squats

goldies (muscles on the sides of your neck) - shrugs
Hey guys I got a question.

On my abs, the right side is fine, but on the left side the middle one is a little bit smaller than the others. Wtf is this and how can I change it?
There is no place else to go
The theater is closed
**** i hate the gym, i just dont like the idea of it, its such a fake way to work out. I like playing soccer a lot and running around playing games i like, or just making up them with friends. The thing is i **** up at night by eating cake and sugarnated hot tea and soda. I drink more water now, infact thats all i drink pretty much and most of the time im playing vidoe games with friends and playing guitar. Im trying to loose my stomach and its just a matter of rememberying to do sit ups everyday.
meow :3
Quote by kurush
Can someone write a list of excercises for different parts of the body? Sorta like:

Etc...

Thanks.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

Have fun.
Ibanez RG2550E Prestige
Squier Bullet
Roland Cube 30W
I joined a gym earlier this year, lost 5cm+ off my waist and dropped 20kgs, built up biceps and my chest a fair amount too so I am not doing too badly
John Frusciante
member #1 of the John Frusciante and Red Hot Chili Peppers UG fanclub PM samlynch to join
JIMI HENDRIX
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
John Petrucci
SRV
I plan on inlisting in the Marine Corps but I'm broke, so I've been using my own body weight for exercise instead of going to a gym. I bought a book actually the Marine Corps approved as a way to reach the minimun standards of physical condition to inlist. I've lost 10 of the 30 lbs that I plan to. I also have been running/walking everyday and trying to avoid all fried foods, some dairy, and have been eating a lil' more carbs for that energy. It helps allot. I was kinda vague but this way works if you dont have money to join a gym or buy equipment.
"ya see baseball got it all wrong...a man with four balls can't walk"
Quote by Disturbed42
ive been lifting weights for 2 years, i started cause i was kinda chunky. I lost 20 pounds and now im all buff and ****. i do free weights mainly upper body. i do a lot of chest and arms

You lost weight by lifting and building muscle? You sure?
The only possible explanation for this is the increase in metabolism which would help you to lose the weight, but I would think that the weight lifting would convert the fat to muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat :\

I do daily exercises now.
Mostly skipping, jumping jacks, pushups, situps, and walking in circles for extended periods of time. All the while listening to classical music on the radio XD
Mostly bodyweight exercises, I only bust out the weights (45 pound dumbbells) to do bicep curls on my bicep/lat day.

For chest/triceps I do many different pushup variations, and that's it. Works fabulously

For biceps I do sets of standing curls with 45 pound dumbbells, then sets of pullups, and sets of seated curls with the same weights.
My God, it's full of stars!
*phew*

just reading this thread made me tired. I think I'll go have a sandwhich.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by PsYk0PatHiK

I just work out like mad. Seriously, it's really important that you increase the amounts you lift every time you go. It makes your muscles force themselves to grow.

I've just been eating a lot of protein. Probably some of what I gained is fat due to how much I eat, and the fact that I barely did any cardio (no more than 20 minutes on the bike things).

Check out this site too, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html . It's huge and has pretty much every good exercise and workout you can think of. A lot of information on diets too. But if you want to gain weight, eat a lot, and lift a lot increasing the weights. Worked for me.
i used to go to the gym, evryday. i had intense workouts for my ice hockey team, which was an hour on the ice before school, then two hours of dryland training after school. it put me in tip-top condition: 5' 8" 155 lbs of nicely toned muscle (as a goalie, my coach altered my lifting so i would have smaller, more flexible muscles built for endurance). then i put 7 major tears into my linguinal muscle during the conference championship game back in february. i haven't been able to work out since .
Quote by s0nofabe4ch
Hey guys I got a question.

On my abs, the right side is fine, but on the left side the middle one is a little bit smaller than the others. Wtf is this and how can I change it?

You are probably just doing whatever ab exercises you do wrong. Do you move towards the left when you do crunches or anything like that?
I've started going to the gym 2 months ago and its awesome. I dont look any different but I sure feel way better. My self-esteem has improved so much, I feel so
invincible and badass . Gone is the bedroom shredder(for now).
I go to the gym fairly often, but most of that time is taken up by swimming. I don't have a particularly intense diet, but I do watch what I eat most of the time. I also go running a few times a week but keep the weight lifting etc. to a home program as I feel it's easier for me to keep track of. Just make sure you don't overdo yourselves while you're growing
I would recommend swimming for toning your muscles to start with and improving your cardiovascular, and then moving onto weights.

There are plenty of body building/ fitness magazines out there that will explain in detail what exercises and weights to do for various body parts. And as already posted, some good websites as well.

You will also find out what foods to eat to help gain muscle. And there are a million protein supplements etc out there !
Fender Stratocaster x 2
Ibanez JS1000BTB
Zakk Wylde Les Paul
Epiphone Flying V
'Texas' Les Paul
Ibanez Artcore Jazz
Fender strat copies x 3
Aria Pro II
Classical guitars x 2
Aria steel string acoustic

Marshall, Crate, Fender amps
gy...m... g...ym... gym...

sorry, i don't understand.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by kurush

Etc...

Thanks.

a great excercise for your shoulders is the handstand push up

i go to the gym 3-5 times a week
i love the rush that it gives, feeling stronger, being stronger
Quote by monkeyman4jesus
I plan on inlisting in the Marine Corps but I'm broke, so I've been using my own body weight for exercise instead of going to a gym. I bought a book actually the Marine Corps approved as a way to reach the minimun standards of physical condition to inlist. I've lost 10 of the 30 lbs that I plan to. I also have been running/walking everyday and trying to avoid all fried foods, some dairy, and have been eating a lil' more carbs for that energy. It helps allot. I was kinda vague but this way works if you dont have money to join a gym or buy equipment.

what is the minimum requirements i know marines has the highest for boot camp out of all the branches of the us military
Quote by meh!
I think I'll go have a sandwhich.

haha are you trying to seduce me?

anyway, I used to work out six days a week back when I was wrestling. I also used to eat very healthy. after six straight years of that, I decided I'd had enough.

but now I'm slowly working my way back into a healthier lifestyle.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light