hey, this is one of my first posts, so sorry if it's been posted a billion times already. i've been playing for a few years and i'm self taught. i'm not that bad but i lack when it comes to solos. i can do it a little bit, but not much. what's a good way to learn? i'm just looking for some help coz i don't know where to turn. thanks!

- cheers !
Learn techniques your favourite guitarists use....
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
how about stop being self tuaght and buy a teacher. Becuase if your truely self tuaght, you wouldnt be asking us these things now would you. Since your new, learn minor pentatonic. Its a sound u want and its extremly simple to learn. Learn it accross the fretboard and memorize it with your fingers. Then just add water and tada.
meow :3
Since your name is liveforever, I assume you've heard oasis' live forever? great song, and the solo in it is a G major scale. Learn about scales here
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
you don't need any of this scale crap, just whack some notes together and mess about with them until they fit over a basic chord pattern, that way the solo will be more likely to have originality as it isn't necessarily built on an already-built scale...
Quote by webby1990
you don't need any of this scale crap, just whack some notes together and mess about with them until they fit over a basic chord pattern, that way the solo will be more likely to have originality as it isn't necessarily built on an already-built scale...

That's some bad advice man. If you learn your theory, you'll be able to just improv a solo whenever the **** you feel like it. It's great. I don't know that much, just major, minor, pentatonic minor, and pentatonic major and I can already improv an awesome solo as long as I know the key of the song.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by webby1990

chances are that a thorough inspection of a "whacked solo" will surprise you...what do ya know?! it's probably part of a scale! it's much easier to improvise with this knowledge of what you're doing...i disagree with using a certain scale to create a solo, but it's good to know which scales fit theoretically to a certain chord progression...i sure don't want to be playing a solo made entirely of sour notes
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
chances are that a thorough inspection of a "whacked solo" will surprise you...what do ya know?! it's probably part of a scale! it's much easier to improvise with this knowledge of what you're doing...i disagree with using a certain scale to create a solo, but it's good to know which scales fit theoretically to a certain chord progression...i sure don't want to be playing a solo made entirely of sour notes

I think he meant find out which notes sound good - what he was suggesting was finding the good notes and ignoring the sour notes... you don't need to know music theory to know what sounds good. Just because he has no knowledge of what scale he's playing doesn't mean he's going to use notes that sound sour.

You know... ?
true, i guess i find it easier to know where the flat 5, root, or major 3rd are while improvising, but that's just what works for me...if you can solo without it, right on
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
it may be unorthodox advice, but it works for me, i can play good solos and i know nothing about theory. what i'm saying is, you shouldn't feel restricted to scales. i do know scales, i just don't think about them whilst soloing because i feel they limit what i do cos sometimes a sour note can sound really good if used correctly; as a link to the next note for instance. i dunno...
wow, thanks alot. i've got some good advice. i've learned the minor pentatonic scales and i'm getting familiar with it and then i'm gonna move on to the major pentatonic scales. and to Muphin, yes, oasis is my favorite band and live forever is arguably my fav song though it's tough to choose just one. but thanks for the tips.