Ok, I have been looking to get a new bass for a while now (this will be my third) and I wanted to get a Stingray because I played one once and I really liked it. That is what I had in mind.

Now I see the Music Man SUB and I was wondering if anyone has ever played one before and if they are any good.

Anything would be appreciated.
I got a SUB, and i cant fault it. It plays amazing, it sounds amazing and looks amazing as well. I tried a proper Stingray yesterday whilst in London, and the only real difference was it was lighter than SUB, possibly because a SUB is two bits of wood and a 'ray is just the one. A 'ray is also curved off a bit, so that probably makes it lighter as well. I ran the 'ray through the same rig i use for my SUB at home and gigging, and i couldnt tell much difference in the tone, SUB has 2 band EQ, 'ray has 3 band EQ, sometimes 2 band. I also prefer the neck on the SUB, it felt much smoother than the 'rays neck.
The SUB is a real musicman made in the USA, just w/ a cheaper electronics job (usually passive) and a cheaper paintjob.

haha
Quote by fatboyme
.....the only real difference was it was lighter than SUB

Yeah right!!!!!
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
The SUB is a real musicman made in the USA, just w/ a cheaper electronics job (usually passive) and a cheaper paintjob.

Most of the SUBs ive seen (including mine) have been active, anyway i thought the proper 'ray was lighter. . .
Ive gots an SUB. Its a passive model and actually, most of the SUBs that I have seen are actually passive as well. I still have not seen an active one.

Anyways, The SUB is a real amazing instrument and a much smaller price than the Stingray. Like the posts above me mentioned, the neck is fast and smooth. It is the smoothest neck that I have felt but in my opinion its pretty much as smooth as the Stingrays neck. They are both almost the same instrument. I love mine and I also love that I got it for only $450 new.

I still want to buy a Stingray though because I want a passive bass and I have wanted to own a Stingray for a very long time.
I believe SUB's have an active preamp but a passive humbucker - i could be wrong.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
I got a feeling that its all active, but i too could (probably) be wrong.
The stingray is all active. The SUB decidedly is not, with atleast one section being passive.

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

Quote by MetalUpTheAss

actually,

1. Most SUBs are active pre-amp, but not pickups.
2. the paintjob is basically it, along with the pickguard.

Quote by Applehead
Yeah right!!!!!

no, really. the electronics are the same as a SR's, just 2 band not the 3 band (which not all SRs have) and not active pickups. Just like some people prefer the passive sound of an SR (see also: Flea), the SUB is designed to achieve the typical musicman tone and not much else. Most SUBs have active EQs. Very few don't. The paintjob is cheaper and not for everyone, especially considering the diamond pickguard. But to say YEAH RIGHT!!! to that is... really really bad on your part.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
The SUB is a good bass, but the paint job made me feel like i was holding some type of corrugated plastic, not the wood body of a bass.

Quote by crazypeanutman

I have a SUB and mate does it rock!!!! its so versatile and great!, i got mine all hardwired and it is superb! i fully reccomend it
and by the way, mine is
Active
Quote by UtBDan
actually,

1. Most SUBs are active pre-amp, but not pickups.
2. the paintjob is basically it, along with the pickguard.

no, really. the electronics are the same as a SR's, just 2 band not the 3 band (which not all SRs have) and not active pickups. Just like some people prefer the passive sound of an SR (see also: Flea), the SUB is designed to achieve the typical musicman tone and not much else. Most SUBs have active EQs. Very few don't. The paintjob is cheaper and not for everyone, especially considering the diamond pickguard. But to say YEAH RIGHT!!! to that is... really really bad on your part.

The Lane Poors are passive right? GG
haha
Quote by UtBDan

Actually,

The Stingray has Schaller BM tuners, the SUB has custom musicman tuners
The Stingray has a choice of maple of rosewood fingerboards, the SUB only has rosewood
the stingray body is made from hardwoods and the SUB is made from Poplar
the stingray has a high gloss finish, the SUB has a (dodgy) custom textured finish
the stingray neck is made from maple and the SUB is made from rosewood
the stingray has a smooth neck, finished in oil and wax, the SUB is painted.

They're really not the same, mate..

If they were, why would anyone buy the 'ray?
I definately agree with applehead here. I was looking at the SUB, but to me it had a very thin sound, too much treble and i do like a curved body. The Stingray's sound awsome, no argument but the SUB like many of the mid-range active basses i tried (Warwick Rockbass, SUB, cheaper Spectors) just had a thin sound. Personally i think that to do Active pickups/electronics any justice you need a good body to give it a full sound (like Warwicks, Stingrays, Bongos,).
Quote by Applehead
Actually,

The Stingray has Schaller BM tuners, the SUB has custom musicman tuners
The Stingray has a choice of maple of rosewood fingerboards, the SUB only has rosewood
the stingray body is made from hardwoods and the SUB is made from Poplar
the stingray has a high gloss finish, the SUB has a (dodgy) custom textured finish
the stingray neck is made from maple and the SUB is made from rosewood
the stingray has a smooth neck, finished in oil and wax, the SUB is painted.

They're really not the same, mate..

If they were, why would anyone buy the 'ray?

Stingray necks and fingerboards are both choices- you can get them rosewood like the SUB.
The tuners, I honestly though the ones on the SUB were Schallers as they are designed as Schaller imitations and I guarantee you they work well.

The only thing I feel you said that was actually worth noting was the poplar vs hardwoods, which was actually a good point. Other than that I really dont see much of a difference... choice in SR vs forced in SUB, & MusicMan tuners that are as quality as Schallers.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
Stingray necks and fingerboards are both choices- you can get them rosewood like the SUB.

You're missing the point. You cannot choose on the SUB, you can on the Stingray.

The tuners, I honestly though the ones on the SUB were Schallers as they are designed as Schaller imitations and I guarantee you they work well.

If you went to buy some Schaller BM's and the attendent at the shop said "Here, take this imitation ones, they work well, cheap too". You would say, "No thanks, i asked for Schallers". They work well, or even be designed to look like them. But they are not them.

The only thing I feel you said that was actually worth noting was the poplar vs hardwoods, which was actually a good point.

I'd say the wood for the body was reason enough.

Not sure why you are trying to make out they are the same bass, when they are clearly not. They don't sound the same either. The Stingray is a better quality bass, which is why is cost more money. The SUB is a lovely piece of kit, dont get me wrong. But is is NOT a Stingray, end of.

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.