Page 1 of 2
Ive heard the single rectifiers have a different tone than the dual/triples, is this true?

I thought it was only wattage, and if thats all it is, i might go with a single,
In my experience, the single rec is a little lacking in balls. You can drive the power amp section a little harder but there not that great. Go for the Triple Rec, It'll kick your teeth in !
I dont think Dual Recs have that much volume. They always seem to get lost in the mix coz of the way there voiced with hardly any mids. After all, the mids are where the majority of the guitar signal is. I always wanted a Dual Rec coz im a big fan of that metallica sound but when I finally got a couple, I was always drowned out by the othe guitarist with a 5150 because of the lack of mids. When I used to put the mids right up, it never sounded anywhere near as good so I just swapped em for 5150's.
I don't think you answered his question, and by the way, I have no idea, but I already asked myself the same one...
I used to own a single recto, it was kinda too fizzy and thin for everything else than metal. Not much mids.

Crappy gear, crappy skills. But at least I'm damn ugly.

The Single has only two channels and lacks the options that the Dual and Triple have.

The Dual and Triple are JUST AS LOUD AS EACHOTHER..the ONLY difference is a TINY bit more headroom. But when youre talking about the Dual and Triple Recto headroom has nothing to do with anything...because by the time you get either to the point where its 'pushing' the amp its WAY too loud anyways.
Quote by jonnyguitarman
In my experience, the single rec is a little lacking in balls. You can drive the power amp section a little harder but there not that great. Go for the Triple Rec, It'll kick your teeth in !

The triple rectifier is a waste of money and a mediocre amp.

Dual rectifier or you'll get killed by the volume

Wattage doesn't measure volume.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Single rec. in my experience has a more "natural" tone, doesn't sound forced to my ears, I personally prefer it.
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
In YOUR opinion*

No.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The triple with a Marshall 1960AV cab was one of the best sounding combinations I've played in the rectifier series, "in my opinion." Once you get over 50W, everything is LOUD when you are pushing it to saturation. I didn't even notice that much difference between the dual and triple, other than the headroom on cleans. They were both peeling paint to get to saturation, at least the ones I played.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jul 16, 2006,
^They're all like that. If anyone has actually played a dual and triple head to head, you'll know that by the time you push either one to saturate the power tubes they're nearly the same volume. And even at low volumes you're hard pressed to hear the difference, the extra 50 watts only adds a few decibles of volume.
clips
Gear
  • Framus Cobra Head
  • Peavey 5150 Head
  • Marshall MF280 4x12 Cab
  • PRS Custom 24 w/ 3-Way/Coil Tap
  • Ibanez RGT220A w/ EMG 85 Neck/81 Bridge
  • Rack w/ BBE 482i, Hush Super C, and Furman
Quote by Archeo Avis
No.

Ok youre right. Everything you say here is right because you own a Dual or a Triple and you know everything there is to know about every piece of gear in the guitar world. So every one should listen to you because of your great, vast knowledge of things that no one cares about outside of these forums.

There, don't you feel like you've accomplished something? You made yourself look super smart for all the 14 year olds in here.

[edit] Jackass.
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
Ok youre right. Everything you say here is right because you own a Dual or a Triple and you know everything there is to know about every piece of gear in the guitar world. So every one should listen to you because of your great, vast knowledge of things that no one cares about outside of these forums.

There, don't you feel like you've accomplished something? You made yourself look super smart for all the 14 year olds in here.

[edit] Jackass.

Oh for the love of.....calm down
^ i just got in from doing about 5 hours of hard manual labor. and my sarcastic jerky-ness is on overdrive.

[/spam]
Quote by Blinded0n1sidE
^ i just got in from doing about 5 hours of hard manual labor. and my sarcastic jerky-ness is on overdrive.

[/spam]

Although I do consider the Rectifiers to be mediocre amps.......if I start a band, no one will be allowed to use them....or use guitars with dot inlays. I have a lot of insane rules.
^wtf, are you not allowed to use a Recto in a band??
You're wierd
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
^wtf, are you not allowed to use a Recto in a band??
You're wierd

Why would I let anyone use a rectifier in my band if I hate the sound?
Unless if you hate most types of modern tone, you shouldn't have a reason to hate Rectos
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Archeo Avis

Im now 100% sure that you know nothing of tone.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Sigged.
C'mon, seriously. How many artists use Recto's and Road Kings today??
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by TheFluffy

So since I don't have the same taste you do, I must know nothing of tone? The voicing of the rectifier series does nothing for me, I don't like it. It's completely unsuitable for the type of music I play. You wouldn't play a twin reverb in a ****ing death metal band would you? So why would I play a rectifier?

Unless if you hate most types of modern tone

I do.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jul 16, 2006,
Fine, then tell us what you play.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Fine, then tell us what you play.

Ooo...this should be interesting. How to explain it...

Think of it as a sort of slower neo-classical music. My songwriting has been more influence by choir, orchestral, and video game music (you heard me) than anything. It's designed solely to invoke an emotional response in the listener. More than anything, I find the rectifiers midrange cold and unresponsive, it's just not voiced for a high mid sound.
Quote by TheFluffy

LMAO!!! Dude if I had room Id sooo sig that. But instead Im going to save it for a rainy day...cuz that made my night! hazhaha

no offense Archeo..I can understand why you wouldnt prefer the Recto for your musical tastes.
^ Firstly, thats maybe coz its modded and secondly because its a 6505 not a 5150. I know, I know there the same amp, but I've A/B'd two 6505's against my two 5150's and they dont sound like the same amp's. May have something to do with the fact I use different tubes in my 5150's but I wasnt really impressed. 5150 all the way!
^ you should make some clips of that beast for the Ultimate Clips thread. I've heard 5150's that sounded kickass for metal. I know there has to be some versatility there too, since it was EVH's sig amp. The clips thread doesn't have any 5150(II)/6505(+) clips.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
great man! it might be worth mentioning what kind of tubes you use too, since they are different from the stock ones. What kind of Marshall cab is it?
amp clips
amp vids
hm, imo the single sounds more natural, and more agressive. it still sounds like a recto, so i don't like it much, but if i had to get a recto or die, (roadking excluded) i'd probably get the sinlge.

ben, andy, stop being dicks, archeo doesn't like them, i don't really like them either.
and archeo, you could have turned the sarcasm down a little.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
ben, andy, stop being dicks, archeo doesn't like them, i don't really like them either.
and archeo, you could have turned the sarcasm down a little.

Hey jerkface I said:

Quote by Blinded0n1sidE

no offense Archeo..I can understand why you wouldnt prefer the Recto for your musical tastes.

Im bein cool

Anywho, the 5150/6505 is a great amp. As I said I owned one for a while that had been modded (so it sounded much smoother and warmer sounding) and I loved it. But then I got to play a show with a Recto and I liked the Recto a lot better. To each his own right thurr. In the future (once I have my Mesa halfstack payed off) I think Im going to buy another 6505.
Quote by TheFluffy
Ive heard the single rectifiers have a different tone than the dual/triples, is this true?

I thought it was only wattage, and if thats all it is, i might go with a single,

To get back on track, there is definately a tone and sound difference between the single and dual. I would advise you to head over to your local store and play the two out.

I wouldnt ever touch a triple rec. I have owned a Tremoverb, Rectoverb, and Dual Rec and I cant fathom a reason why anyone would ever need a triple rec. The dual rec provides the same features and sounds as the triple rec and has a good amount of headroom already. Every place I have gigged, a 50 watt tube amp was more than enough for and all the larger places I gigged, the mic'd up our amps.

If you end up liking the sound of the single rec, check out a rectoverb. Same principle as the single rec, only with reverb and the clean channel sounds much better. Plus it comes in a 1x12 combo which is much easier functionally.

Other than looking cool when you are 16 to your friends by having the biggest amp, a triple rec is a waste of money when a dual rec will be more than capable. When you are playing, tube amps sound the best pushed and at louder volumes. I can overpower our drummer with my 50 watt combo's and killed him when I rarely practiced with my Tremoverb.
^ I bought the Triple because it was a crazy package deal at my local shop (the owners are like best friends of my dads..blah blah). So they went back to see what they had that had been laying around for a long time. They knew I wanted a Dual but they only had a Triple, and since they didnt have the Dual they decided to throw in a Mesa cab they had sitting back there for a long time. So I thought 'Well sh1t...a whole Mesa halfstack is going to clean me out completely..' but then they said theyd sell it to me for $2100. If you do the math...thats a good deal right thurr. So in the end it was better for me to go for the Triple instead of the Dual. And the stuff was all brand new...in the box...never been opened.

And besides, I can just take out a couple tubes if I REALLY want to run it at 100watts. But all in all...I dont really think wattage matters when your at 100-150watts. Youre NEVER EVER EVER EVER going to be in a situation where youre going to be able to crank the amp to get that pushed tube sound...whether it be 100watts or 150watts...and theres not even a noticable volume difference between the two.

And Ive seen SO many people here say "Psht the Triple sucks because it has too many watts...go for a 5150!" uuh...what?! TRIPLE=150watts 5150=120watts

-------
30watt difference
Youre NEVER EVER EVER EVER going to be in a situation where youre going to be able to crank the amp to get that pushed tube sound...whether it be 100watts or 150watts...and theres not even a noticable volume difference between the two.

I completely agree with you. However with my Dual Rec Tremoverb I took out the outside 2 power tubes and made it into a 50 watt tube amp! Guess what! You can crank a 50 watt tube amp easily and get that great saturated tube sound.

Hence why I said if you are in the market for a rectifier and looking between a Dual and a Triple, the triple is pointless and an extra waste of money.

Also, just to clarify again, Mesa regulates the prices on their amps. Every store is required to sell them at the same exact price. Its EXTREMELY rare for anyone to get a discount on a new amp. Since you claim your "dad is like best friends with the owner", maybe he took a loss on the amp. You sound and type like you are under 18 and live at home with your parents so I dont want to raise the BS flag on you and get into a debate with a kid, but I will just say that 99.999% of the time you are not going to get a discount on a new Mesa. Heck, I worked at a GuitarCenter in college and I couldnt even get a discount on my Dual Rec.
Dual Rec
Dual Rec Tremoverb
F-50 1x12
Nomad 55 1x12
Mesa 4x12 Slant w/ Black shadows

Gibson LP Special
Gibson LP Custom
Washburn EA14MR
Page 1 of 2