Ok, ive set my explorer up with 9-46 and everything plays fine, exept the 11th fret of the high E string is jacked up. when i play the 12th its a perfect E, and the 10th is a perfect D but the 11th is also an E note but it sounds all scratchy. ive looked at the fret and it seems normal. What could be causing thing!!!!
Maybe your 12th fret is too high, or your 11th fret is too low. Maybe your action is too low for these lighter-ish strings causing the string to actually touch the 12th fret when you're actually fretting the 11th. Try raising the action a little, this should fix things.
Quote by sestemofatowel
Ok, ive set my explorer up with 9-46 and everything plays fine, exept the 11th fret of the high E string is jacked up. when i play the 12th its a perfect E, and the 10th is a perfect D but the 11th is also an E note but it sounds all scratchy. ive looked at the fret and it seems normal. What could be causing thing!!!!

Im not sure what you mean mate?, like the string is buzzing on the fret? If so, higher your action.

If not your getting an E on your tuner because the 11th fret is an Em....which is quite obvious, so I dont think i am answering your question....
the guitar im presently screwing atround with has no 1st string ::irellevant::
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
No both the 11th and the 12th frets are E notes. The 11th fret isnt an E minor which is why im freaking out.
Wait, this genius figured it all out for me!

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
your guitar is haunted.

throw it away now.
first off its not e minor (thats a chord) its E flat or Eb my guess is that your neck may be twisted slightly which is causing the string to touch the 12th fret when you fret on the 11th, that would explain both the e note ringing instead of an Eb and also the scratchy sound. It could also be because the 11th fret is lower than the 12th fret on the e string causing it to hit the 12th fret which would give you the same result. Try raising the action, if that doesnt help youre going to have to take it to a good guitar repair shop to have it looked at.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ive tripled checked the truss rod, the neck is perfect. . . and i just raised the action. . . it made it worse. . .
OMG I JUST LOWERED THE **** OUT OF IT AND IT FIXED IT KINDA, ITS STILL SCRATCHY BUT ITS AN ACTUAL E FLAT, and btw kid i knew what i was talking bout, the led zepplin dude just messed me up.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
first off its not e minor (thats a chord) its E flat or Eb my guess is that your neck may be twisted slightly which is causing the string to touch the 12th fret when you fret on the 11th, that would explain both the e note ringing instead of an Eb and also the scratchy sound. It could also be because the 11th fret is lower than the 12th fret on the e string causing it to hit the 12th fret which would give you the same result. Try raising the action, if that doesnt help youre going to have to take it to a good guitar repair shop to have it looked at.

well now your just splitting hairs
ok im not talking about the neck bowing, im talking about it being twisred slightly to the side if you need a visualization pitcure a DNA bouble helix only far less extreeme. Its either that or (best case scenario) your 11th fret was either set improperly or or has worn downon the e string and is lower that the 12th, either way the problemis that the 11th fret is lower than the 12th fret its just that one cause requires replacing the nec the other just requires a new fret job.

Last.fm
maybe, but only if its terrible. Just either get a file yourself and file it down (not really recommended) or take it to a shop and get it filed down, theyll know the right amounts to do it.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by sestemofatowel
and if that is the case can it be filed (By a proffesional) or does the fret need to be replaced?

iud replace the fret. but filing it downmight work.

Last.fm
Some Gibsons ship with bad fret jobs nowadays. Im willing to bet thats what it is, take it to the shop and have them measure the fret hight and see if thats the problem.

Last.fm
Weird, I have exactly the same problem on my s470

High E 11th sounds slightly muted and scratchy, and if I full bend it the note dies instantly at about half a step All the other frets on all strings are fine.