i got an epi g400 custom three gold plated humbuckers anyway the thing has les paul custom tagged all over it why is this called a les paul when its cleary shaped like an sg ,also anyone know how to clean gold hardware thanks.
ibanez rocks
I'm only hazarding a guess here but it could be a throw back to when the SG was intended to replace the Les Paul in the Gibson lineup (Les turned it down because he didn't like the shape so they called the the SG "Solid Guitar").

Either that or it simple has a Les Paul neck on it.
Quote by Weybl Himself
I'm only hazarding a guess here but it could be a throw back to when the SG was intended to replace the Les Paul in the Gibson lineup (Les turned it down because he didn't like the shape so they called the the SG "Solid Guitar").

Didn't that happen in the 50's? I think the Epiphone G400 was manufactured fairly recently.

Anyway, they probably just tagged it with Les Paul stuff because they are lazy.
Oh crap!
Yeah, it happened in the 50s, but it's the only thing I could think of, things like that are sometimes done now as a reissue thing, to make them "authentic".
Wiki:

The 1961-1963 Custom models did not say 'SG', but they did, however, have a Les Paul signature between the neck and the neck pickup. The Standards have a Les Paul engraved truss rod cover from 1961 to early 1963. Models produced between 1961 and 1965 have the original small pickguard; in 1966 the guitar was redesigned slightly with a different neck joint, most likely to address problems with cracking at the heel, and a larger, semi-symmetrical "batwing" pickguard.