Hi all,

resontly on my acoustic iv replaced the nut and fiddeled with the truss rod abit to give the neck more relife (fret buzz was a b*tch)

now my guitar just sounds crap, when i have a capo on any fret it sounds great, just when i play chords on on open strings it just sounds aweful even when its in tune.

This is probobly something to do with intonation but i dont know to much about that, can anyone help?
well i read somewhere on UG that to check the intonation play a natural harmonic on the 12th fret of each string and check if it sounds the same pitch as a normal note played at that fret..... dunno how accurate that method would be though
See if the natural harmonic is actually above the 12th fret, not slightly to either side
are you sure you put your saddle on the right way around? what string gauge do you have now? what string gauge did you have?

and changing intonation is hard to change you can only move the saddle to a certain position for your intonation so you gotta find a general ground
Quote by Fezz
well i read somewhere on UG that to check the intonation play a natural harmonic on the 12th fret of each string and check if it sounds the same pitch as a normal note played at that fret..... dunno how accurate that method would be though

i dont understand, 12 fret? compared to what?

umm....the gauge, i dont know, the packets of strings are as follows

and i cant find the other packet
you mean the nut? well i ordered a new one off the net, it was pre but so all i had to do was sand it down so it fit in the place where the old one sat. didnt do much to it
get out a tuner.

fret the guitar at the 12th and check its tuning.
also, see if u can get a harmonic at the 12th, check that tuning.
now check ur open tuning.

what are u getting for each reading?

if ur getting different readings, then ur saddle needs to be moved.
it probably shifted when u had the strings off.

saddles are the plastic pieces that rest in the bridge of an acoustic.
sometimes they lean, sometimes they are settled in the notch.
a different angle can change the intonation.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i did the tuner thing and it was wrong.
I did it on the low E string, open the tuner recognised it a E, but at the 12th fret it recognised it as A !!!

so i slackened the string, pulled out the saddle and re-inserted it but that didnt help the tuner was still the same.
you could just tune the guitar to Eb ( ) and put a capo on the first fret ??

(no one will get the Eb joke, I know)
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
is the intonation messed up equally on the LOW E and the HIGH e side?

at this point im wondering what ur neck is doing.

worst case, u can check ur neck, make sure there's no warping/twisting.
if it looks good. maybe a new $5 saddle, will sit at a better angle for the new nut.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

no the high e and b string are perfect

and the guys in the acoustic forum are calling me a dum ass and not helping

the neck seems fine
ok so its just the one string that's messed up?

if not, what strings are off, we can look at the nut slot and the saddle slot there, see if raising or lowering the string can change its angle and tuning.

the worry, when one side is "fine" and the other side is way off, there is a chance that the neck is twisted in some way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

play the 12th fret thats being read as an a and play the open string of the a string see if it sounds alike
well thats because they are both A.

anyhoo, if u want me to keep checking back, can u just read and answer that last post i made.

if its one string, we can try swapping or moving that string.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
ok so its just the one string that's messed up?

if not, what strings are off, we can look at the nut slot and the saddle slot there, see if raising or lowering the string can change its angle and tuning.

the worry, when one side is "fine" and the other side is way off, there is a chance that the neck is twisted in some way.

its E and A, they both read one higher than they are, so E is a and A is D, also the D string is playing up aswell, on the 12th fret the tuner keeps switching between D and G.
Tune all strings down a half step then keep the capo on the first fret permanently
I think you should take it to a shop. IMO.
Quote by DoTheEvolution
It's worse pissing when you come in from the really cold weather and your penis has shrunken to the size of a coffee stir straw and the piss feels like the blast from a super soaker.
can u do me a favor. check the neck relief on the low E side then on the high e side.

fret the low E at the first fret. at the same time
fret the low E where the neck meets the body, around the 17th fret.

with both held, look at the niddle 7-8th frets.

note how close the string is to the fretwire there.
ideally, the string be no higher that a credit cards thickness up from the wire.

i want u to do that for the LOW E and then, the HIGH e.
see if one side of the guitar has a higher string height than the other.

also, look at the nut u just installed. is it level? if there was some dried glue, or shaved wood on une side under the nut, perhaps its not level and flush.

if there is an angle to the nut, or if the nut is closer to the saddle on one side vs the other, u might have thrown ur guitar out of tune, by putting more space between the nut and the saddle on that side of the guitar.

IMO means, in my opinion. and yeah, if we cant shift something, u might need a guy in the shop to do it for u.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Checked the relife, both low and high E touch the 7th and 8th fretwire, i suppose i should give the truss rod a turn or so?

heres the nut, its seems the right side where the high strings lie is closer lower, although it was like that when it came, i didnt sand down the height.
Attachments:
nut.jpg
yeah, the nut looks a bit crooked. so thats could be problem. but u can always file a nut slot cut, a little to compensate for a bad angle.
it would depend how deep the cuts are. if it looks level across the first few frets too.

and yes, if the strings are laying on the fetwire (on both ends) you might want to give it a 1/8" CLOCKWISE turn, a very small amount. after u detune it a bit.

it depends, i mean were u getting any fretbuzz? did the action seem ok to u?

im looking to see if anything is crooked, thats why i told u to measure. but if u think it needs more of a bend, you can do that too.

besides being higher on the LOw E side, does it seem as if the strings pass over the nut, closer to the fretboard, on one side vs the other?

not saying to file anything yet, but so u know...
when i want to file the cut of a nut, ill usually use a toothpick wrapped with sandpaper.
ill pass over the cut a few times, and i make sure the cut is in an upward angle. / <- like that. from the headstock side up to the fretboard side.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

When the guitar didnt have any relife the action was fine, no problems at all, when i didnt crank up the truss rod enough so there was the size of a card between the strings and 7th and 8th fret, the action was unbearable so i had to take it down again.

the nut was pre cut so there shouldnt be a problem, the strings dont seem closer to the fret board as they pass over, they're all equal,

man this guitar is pissing me off !!
maby i should just call it a day and tune it down then stick the capo on 1st fret permenantly until i can find a pro near by to do it

thanks anyway jj1565 you've be massivly supportive and helful
ok, i know its fustrating. but im sure a pro can sort it out a little easier.

ur problem is that, precut nuts, are often trying to be "one size fits all."
that's just not the case.

if it was me, i would probably, give the neck the correct relief, then id shave the cuts until each string was level and the action felt playable again.

additionally i might shave the bottom of the saddle, depending on how low i wanted the action.
but thats alot of work if ur not sure what to do. hopefully ur shop is pretty good and can sort it out for u.

good luck,
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62