I've heard that Ibanez had better and worse years (just like Fender) My question is - is 1996 RG 550 from 'good' years or 'bad' years of production? And comparing - brand new RG2550 E to my vintage 96' RG (same price) - what's better? Is Edge Pro better then Lo-pro Edge?
if the 550 has the lo-pro edge then get it. and i would say neither one could be better than the other
^^ x2. I have the Lo-Pro edge, and my teacher's guitar has the edge pro, theyre both fine.
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
You can get good or bad guitars from any brand from any years, theres no real rules as far as that goes, It should be fine though and you cant go around with an ibanez rg550
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
In this case, its matter of preference coz both are equally good and reliable. If you prefer a lower profile, and dont want the fine tuners or anything bothering your palm, then get the Lo-Pro, but if you dont mind or your picking technique isnt bothered by it, then Edge Pro is also nice. Take note though, there are 2 versions of Edge Pro bridge, 1 is the older one and the other is the newer 2003 model, which is installed in the RG2550E, and that model has lower profile then the older models i believe.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Jul 16, 2006,
My point is - if Ibanez from 1996 (used, but in good condition) is as good as the brand new 2006 model?
Yea, it all depends on how the previous users used it, other than that, the quality is almost the same. The only problem you might have is that the RG550 made in 96 "should" have an AANJ, if it doesnt, then it'd be just the normal neck heel joint, unlike the RG2550E.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
some ways that the 550 is better:
More color choice. Lately, ibanez's color guide has been black, gray, dark blue, and sunburst.
Locking studs on the trem. Goddamnit, i hate ibanez's stupid idea to take these out.

BUT, if it doesnt have the AANJ, you're ****ed on high fret access.
Originally posted by priest.fan.
yeah, I suffered deep emotional scars when I learned that easter was in fact about jesus, and not a giant bunny sneaking into peoples houses uninvited
Mine is 1996 RG 620, some limited model (Japan? Prestige, dunno exactly), 24 frets, HH, Lo-pro edge... Does it has this AANJ???
Last edited by incockgnito at Jul 16, 2006,
You can tell if you have the AANJ by looking at the place where the neck meets the body. If it's a square like on a strat, you dont have it. If it's contoured and relatively "stealthy", its an AANJ.
Originally posted by priest.fan.
yeah, I suffered deep emotional scars when I learned that easter was in fact about jesus, and not a giant bunny sneaking into peoples houses uninvited
All Access Neck Joint - AANJ

Original Neck Heel

Thats what she said...
UGmusic