i've recently decided i'm going to take an old ibanez i have (from the jumpstart package) and strip the paint to leave it natural (just the wood). what would be a good finish (besides staining) that would leave it shiny and smooth. and if i would need more than one thing to do this, what would the process be. please help.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Iv'e had nice results with linseed as well, If the tung oil is too rich for your blood either way, the key to success with oil finishing is a combo of: 1-Good sanding technique 2- LIGHT layers of oil, allowed to dry Completely 3-Rub the finish smooth between coats with "000 to 0000" grade steel wool between coats. Be sure to wipe with a BARELY damp cotton cloth after steel wool each time or you will trap little bits of wool in your finish. Good Luck!
would those oils change the color? i would like to keep the color of the wood the same
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
In that case I would just use some clear cote and just protect it, but if its from the jumpstart package, its probably not that amazing of wood. Sand it off then decide what you wanna do with it.
The end result will most likely result in a really ugly guitar because those jumpstarts aren't the highest quality, let alone woudl the company decide it's good enough for a wood with nice grain. And the color of the wood will change no matter what kind of finish you use, if you want to fine out what hte true color of your guitar's wood it put some water on it, that will show you what it would look like after applying any oils or lacquers onto it.

btw, tung, linseed, and tru oil will all leave a less durable finish that will leave your guitar more prone to easy denting. I'd go with lacquer if you wnat it to be shiney.