Heyhey im now pretty good at guitar (like 3 years playing), and now i wanna start a band. Ive got loads of friends who play aswell, but there is one annoying thing:
I wanna be the frontman (singer cos i like singing ) AND the lead guitarist, would that work? I mean i really wanna play lead guitar in the band, but i wouldn't wanna be in the shadow of a crappy singer all the time, cos they are usually the ones who are the 'face of the band' if u get me.
Im all good for bass and drums, it's just this that annoys me.
[]
[]
[]
[][][][][][][][][]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]

CHRISTIANS OF UG ROCK!
yea, there are planty of frontmen that play lead. zakk wylde does, just dont try to solo while you are singing. what kind of music will you be playing?
Motley Crue 2/11/06!
Motley Crue/Aerosmith 11/21/06!
Sanctity/BLS 3/12/07!
Bleeding Through/Slayer/Manson-7/25/07!
A7x/Operator/the Confession/Black Tide 11/25/07!
Van Halen 2/12/07!
Quote by HaKattack
No, I wouldn't. My bear's penis is off limits.
isnt alexi laiho from children of bodom lead singer/guitar?

Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessle's life. His breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever had.
Very true - i guess ill probably be playing kinda indie-ish music like The Libertines maybe, cos thats what my friends are into. But ill try and get them onto some more 'technical' stuff also.
Another lead/vocals - Matt Bellamy of Muse, but i doubt ill be as good as him, or any of the guys u mentioned above
[]
[]
[]
[][][][][][][][][]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]
[]

CHRISTIANS OF UG ROCK!
If you are going to do that...make sure you can sing and play at the same time.HOPEFULLY?You knew that...cuz then you would look like a retard.
Yeah it would be hard singing and playing lead at the same time.

I'd either become rhythm guitar and be a backup singer
or
just play lead and not sing

If you do both it kinda seems like you're trying to do everything.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Yeah, you can play lead and sing at the same time, i did it when i used to play in a trio.
Quote by Toilets
Emus are actually one of my favourites out of the 7 flightless species of birds. Why has everyone got this problem with them?

Quote by TheKeep21
whats ur guyz fave band. mine is lead zepelion or something like that. the guitar player of them is so good.
It's obviously possible, but surely u must choose one of the playing aspects to be dominant. Most cases are that the guitar playing is above the singing. Just be sure to be able to do both simultaneously like everyone else is saying, otherwise the whole thing goes down the toilet.
In other words, even though one technique might be more developed than the other, the key to effectiveness is balance between the two...
People are missing out arguably the best two guitarists ever in Hendrix and Clapton who both played lead and sing. My advice is make sure that you are genuinely the best singer though because if you aren't but just want to be then you're bringing your bands quality down through being selfish.
ya unless your amazing at both then your just being selfish. As lead singer and vocalist you just steal the spotlight alot of ppl wont want to play with you i personally wouldnt
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Being in a band isent allways about being in the spotlight. I mean im a bassist.

Do whats best for the band not your image
There are alot of lead guitarists who also sing. Make sure you're great at both, and even better at balencing the two. If you're just a selfish jerk who thinks you're the best singer and guitarist ever, well, sorry to break it to you, I wouldn't want to play in your band.

If you truly are good at what you do, go for it. Some very succesful bands did what you want to do.
Quote by Kwokinator
isnt alexi laiho from children of bodom lead singer/guitar?

Yup.

My ex-bf is lead guitarist and vocalist in his band. It seems to work alright.

Personally, I wouldn't do it 'cause it seems to be too much work.... composing all 'em solos and writing the lyrics. Also, you kinda just stand there and can't really get into it 'cause you're too busy singing and playing solos, you can't really get the crownd into it, but if that's what you want, then there really isn't anything wrong with it.
Why don't you get together and jam for fun and see what comes out. Don't anyone worry about being the "frontman" or the "leader" or anything. Just get together and you each do what you do best. You play guitar, your drummer play drums etc. Just do it for fun.

Something serious might evolve from it and if that happens great. If not whatever. Point being you can be in a band and grow and have fun and get experience and stuff and not have to worry about it being exactly how you want it .. because you're just starting out your musical career and you can do anything you want to in the future.

It's not uncommon for people to play in more than one band .. and then have other side solo projects or whatever. I play in bands .. I take any opportunity that comes up .. and then I have my solo project where it's like all me and I'm the front man etc. You gotta keep music fun and serious and keep doors open all at the same time. Don't worry about being the center of attention etc. right now .. just worry about finding people to jam with and having a good time and growing as a musician.
Singing and playing at the same time is nothing. Lead guitar doesn't have to play ALL the leads, and it's not like the rhythm guitarist can't play a lead. If it's your band, just decide if you can play and sing at the same time and go from there, if there are leads during the vocals that you don't think you could multi-task, play rhythm for that part. It won't kill you.
-Mike
Quote by Syn Harvest
ya unless your amazing at both then your just being selfish. As lead singer and vocalist you just steal the spotlight alot of ppl wont want to play with you i personally wouldnt

agree
Inquisitor of the zeppelinism church, PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Member of UG's VIVA MEXICO CLUB

Quote by Aidy Damage
I'm a sweet transvestive from transexual Transylvania
you can, trivium is an example i think, or you could just not have a second guitar player
yeh

hendrix, SRV, Clapton, B.B. King, Chuck Berry all sang

as do dave grohl, josh homme and many other people lead men in todays bands

just amek sure you can actually do it

and maybe get a rhythm guitarist
go f ucking play the triangle or the cowbell or some obscure percussion instrument or something.

i only recommend you doing that if you've got really good stage presence and charisma.
Quote by tryhardslash
dude like every song has disortion

and its called distorting
Eric Clapton plays lead guitar and sings. As does Buddy Guy, Warren Haynes, and many other blues/rock gods.
yea you can, there have been numerous people who do this and it'll most likely work out fine.

-gtrfrk
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
Yeah go for it.
If you cant, then practice.
If after a while you still cant then get a singer.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Theres no problem, just get yourself a backing guitarist and just have an understanding. Theres no reason just because you're the singer you can't play the solos or some lead parts. This is a big stereotype among people and just ignore it and make it clear to people how things are going to work.
If youre into the libertines Carl Barat managed to play lead on the songs he sung no problem.
Quote by HopePoisoned
Singing and playing at the same time is nothing. Lead guitar doesn't have to play ALL the leads, and it's not like the rhythm guitarist can't play a lead. If it's your band, just decide if you can play and sing at the same time and go from there, if there are leads during the vocals that you don't think you could multi-task, play rhythm for that part. It won't kill you.

Yes.

I'm in the same position as you (threadstarter, I mean, not HopePoisoned), and the best way to get over that (especially if the other guitarist likes playing lead too) is to do away with 'lead' and 'rhythm' and just have two people playing 'guitar.' If you're writing in Guitar Pro you'd have to put 'Guitar I' and 'Guitar II' before you decide who does what, and if you're really tetchy you might not like playing 'guitar II' because you hate feeling 'second best,' but really it doesn't matter. I haven't heard much of The Libertines, but if they're solo-y kinda stuff then alternate solos - maybe you do one song's solo and the other guy solos in the next one. Better still, when you're writing your own stuff, shove two solos in. Or three. Or four. And alternate. Or the other guitarist could play lead licks in the verses while you sing and play the chords, and then in the breaks you could play the lead parts and he does the chords.

OR even better, if you can both sing, one can sing and play chords in the verse while the other does lead, and then the other one can sing and play chords in the chorus while the first one does the lead bits. The possibilities are endless.

Again, I'm surprised no one's mentioned this guy: Justin Hawkins from The Darkness (who else? :P). He doesn't play guitar at all in the verses, but he does the majority of the solos anyway. Same with Matt Bellamy in a couple of songs - in Plug In Baby, Hysteria and Time Is Running Out (probably even more but it'd take too long for me to go through all my Muse stuff checking) he doesn't play guitar in the verses, it's just bass and vocals.

Just think outside the box a little and you'd be surprised at what you can do.
www.myspace.com/stcircusthemighty

Check it out. If you like what you hear, friend me.

Quote by Rikifield
Nice acoustic man! And your voice is melting with the acoustic sound...