jesus how big is that guitar of yours
why dont you jus try barring it with the one finger
consider positioning your thumb in different positions on the back of the fretboard, thats one of the hardest thing for new guitarists to learn is where their thumb should be positioned so that your wrist can be relaxed
that can't be a problem? maybe you just need some exercise.
Amocracy over democracy.
Quote by matttt
jesus how big is that guitar of yours
why dont you jus try barring it with the one finger

What im trying to do is lay my pointer finger on all the fives. and then my ring finger on the 7. I can barely do it with out haning my ring finger touch all the other strings below it. But when I do, it hurts.
I find it easy but meh I have long fingers but you know they'll eventually stretch out to do things like that but generally if its starting to hurt its probably a good idea to stop playing and let it heal then try later
Chuck Norris has two speeds, walk and kill
Quote by kevinm4435
Steve Vai is your friend: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/s/steve_vai/10-hour_guitar_workout_tab.htm
If you do this you'll probably never have another finger problem again.

woah thanks.

But one question, how exactly am I suposed to do it? I notice its called a 10-hour work out. Do I do like 30 minutes of a scale every day? Like day 1, do 30 minutes of figure 1. then day 2, do 30 of figure 2. ect...?
you need some practice...instead of working out a lot you could try to play other songs that need the same kind of positioning of the fingers...like deep purple's soldier of fortune
I play it like this:

I fret the 7th fret note with my ring finger then immediatly after hitting that note, I Bar the entire 5th fret and play those notes easy.

But ye I can also play it differently but it all depends on the person. But so practice your fingers more, do finger excersises etc. Start SLOW, you don't need to rush into the song immediatly. Start slow and build up speed along with finger strength, and before you know it..you will be playing it at the same speed and without any pain.

Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
You gotta start stretching your fingers. Place your first finger on the 5th fret and take your second finger and stretch up as far as you can, playing each note on the way up. Once you can't go any further, switch to your next finger. Keep on stretching them out in this way so that you can play songs that require your to contort your hand into strange positions.
anyway if u thing playing the first part of stairway is hard, wait till the solo. And then try to play Eruption, by Van halen, ur gonna die doing that stuff
Quote by enterWittyName
anyway if u thing playing the first part of stairway is hard, wait till the solo. And then try to play Eruption, by Van halen, ur gonna die doing that stuff

What does that have to do with anything?

Are you helping this guy an any way, or are you just being an idiot and practically spamming?

Ass.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
^Owned hahahah
He's right... Dude stop trying to show off...
Originally Posted By Hot Pants
burn thy neighbor and thy children??

If you're gonna kick society in the teeth, you may as well use both feet
and the stairway solo and eruption really aren't that hard. Which makes you showing off about those songs even worse...

You're doing it right, look at the position of your thumb, I have small fingers also. Unless your guitar is full size, and you are a seven year old with small hands for your age, you shouldn't have a problem with your fingers not being able to do it. Excersices help also.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Before you try to learn the picking to this song make sure you practice and can properly execute each chord.

And try getting yourself a better tab.

-M