Okay, for those who noticed, i just started a thread about improvisation yesterday. Or maybe it was today. Anyways, i have this problem, that now, i don't wanna learn others soloes anymore, i just feel like improvising instead, giving a damn about the actual solo.

So im basically asking if there's any point in learning others soloes anymore? I mean, im not learning any new techniques, im just doing the same old pull-offs, hammer ons and so on. I guess im in need of something new to learn, its just that i don't really like the solo work of guitarists who utilize tapping techniques, and sweep picking and such. So what to do now?
unless you can sweep, 8 finger tap, put artifcial harmonics into your solos, know every single scale ever, and shred at 20 bps, then yes, there is.
Dickless.
Can you reccomend me a solo which doesn't utilize the minor pentatonic, major pentatonic or the major scale, and in which i can find 8 finger tapping and sweep picking which isn't too damn difficult?
Quote by refgerto
Can you reccomend me a solo which doesn't utilize the minor pentatonic, major pentatonic or the major scale, and in which i can find 8 finger tapping and sweep picking which isn't too damn difficult?

Try Serrana for sweeping, Heroes of Sand for 8 fingers tapping, or more neo-classical stuff if you're that tired of same scales.
...Up to the battlefield to where the spirits walk...
In my opinion, it's very usefull to learn solos to see how other players use scales
and techniques within a scale to achieve the effect. But, if all you're doing is
memorizing a tab with no idea where the notes are coming from, it's much
less usefull. You're better off working with scales and doing your own improvising
until you can put others solos in some context.

Quite frankly, most rock solos are pretty simple in terms of theory and scales, so
you don't really need a huge background in that to get something out of learning
other solos.
Quote by refgerto

actually, the point of sweeping and 8 finger tapping is difficulty. Obviously, since your asking for something not too difficult, you still need to practice soloing. Try to play some buckethead, his soloing will show you that you need to practice. And not that stupid Nottingham Lace song everyone orgasms over, try the ballad of buckethead solo.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jul 16, 2006,
learning a new challenging solo perfectly makes you a better player than sitting and improvising **** for a week. you can also kinda take licks tricks from solos you learn.

but yes, once i learned how to improvise i rarely learn them. maybe one big one a month. im pretty lazy lately.
I don't really learn other peoples solos, I just steal licks in the solo I like.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
im pretty sure soloes are improvisions......if there is a point for learning is others is for ideas.....so i believe its better to be able to improvise than to imitate someone else....
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
actually, the point of sweeping and 8 finger tapping is difficulty.

No difficulty isnt the point, the point is making sounds that you cant make any other way.

There is some point to learning other solos if you get how they work and how to utilize the scales and phrasing properly, but if you really arent getting anything from them and would rather focus on improvosation then go ahead and do that if you think it will better suit your needs.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Good Riddance
im pretty sure soloes are improvisions......if there is a point for learning is others is for ideas.....so i believe its better to be able to improvise than to imitate someone else....

i'd have to disagree, for example i watched the entire "Rude Awakening" concert (Megadeth) and all the solos were the same, besides the obvious studio "cleanup"

the same goes for most other bands i saw live. Most metal bands for example play identical solos, sure they may have been improvised to start with, but the guitarist remmebers it, and plays it over and over.

EDIT well i phrased that sort of wrong, i've never seen a band live (I'm too young says the parental unit well i guess it's partly cuz i have hardly any friends into the same music as me ) i meant that i saw videos or dvd's of them playing live.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
i'd have to disagree, for example i watched the entire "Rude Awakening" concert (Megadeth) and all the solos were the same, besides the obvious studio "cleanup"

the same goes for most other bands i saw live. Most metal bands for example play identical solos, sure they may have been improvised to start with, but the guitarist remmebers it, and plays it over and over.

EDIT well i phrased that sort of wrong, i've never seen a band live (I'm too young says the parental unit well i guess it's partly cuz i have hardly any friends into the same music as me ) i meant that i saw videos or dvd's of them playing live.

yes well thats what I believe improvised to begin with and then maybe a few modifications could be made, or for live some are extended.....but nonetheless repeated.....
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Well, u are into soloing so at least ur guitar playing isn't going completely down the drain...

It seems to me that ur describing shred: "tapping, sweeping etc..."

If ur not into that sort of thing, look up classic rock, blues and jazz. There's a lot of great soloing in just about any genre of music, but those always seem to stand out. Most of the guitarists in those genres dont tap, or sweep, or even speed pick (except maybe jazz). I'm a huge shred fan and shredder of course, but I can spot a non-shredder (and respect them too). Just do some genre searching, find a sound or style that u like, and then get into it. Learn about those artists, and try to incorporate their sounds into ur own playing.

Finally, YES, learning other guitarist's (or even other musician's) solos are a great approach to learning a certain style, and consequently helps to develop ur own style in the long run. As you learn existing solos, u'll latch onto certain licks that sound really cool to you. As soon as u know it, u'll be incorporatong them into ur inprovisational approaches, therefore making u a more original guitarist!

BTW, there are very few guitarists in any genre that don't use either "minor/major pentatonic, or the major scale." The only approach for you at this point seems to be the "Harmonic minor" scale, which I'm sorry to say is more characteristic of shredders than any other kind of guitar player... Perhaps the classical guitar &/or classical pieces would be a good suggestion for u?

Last edited by Shreddin 4 Life at Jul 17, 2006,