Page 1 of 2
didnt know where to ask this so i figured id ask here

if this is the wrong spot dont flame just direct me thank you

anyway my question:

can i carry on a guitar on a plane and is it a good idea cause i wanna bring it to ny with me and i dont want it to break
Member #5 of the Red Sox fan club. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by thebrewfan
Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
Haha I thought this thread was a pun on "Snakes on a Plane"
"There is no dark side in the moon, Matter of fact, its all dark"

Are there any queers in the theatre tonight?

*Official Deadhead*
Quote by feenux258
didnt know where to ask this so i figured id ask here

if this is the wrong spot dont flame just direct me thank you

anyway my question:

can i carry on a guitar on a plane and is it a good idea cause i wanna bring it to ny with me and i dont want it to break

i'd carry it on with you if that's a possibility, but i don't recommend taking it with you.
Make sure you losen your strings.
Quote by rush4life
Pretty much all of Fox's buddies were a pain in the ass. Falco was such a dick.

Member #13 of the UG Pink Floyd fan club. PM TimiHendrex33 to join.
Aslong as you take the right steps you shouldn't have a problem.

Bear in mind though - you won't be able to fit your guitar onto some planes as hand luggage and I don't recommend leaving your guitar with baggage handlers.
Quote by GiantRaven
So who thought this was going to something making a joke about 'Snakes on a Plane'?

i did!
XboxLive Gamertag: xhybr1dth30ryx

Quote by Zugunruhe
Thats a very insightful post, guy with Mario dry humping Peach as his avatar.

Quote by DownbëloW
ah, UG, just like myspace, but no pictures.
the good old days...
are guitars too big for carry on? I know they have to fit in the top compartments, but i don't know if they would fit or if they would let you.
well im taking jet blue so its a big plane and y loosen strings

Quote by thebrewfan
Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
i guess i'm not the only one who thought this was gonna be a parody of the 'snakes on a plane' thing
Holy crap, my UG account still exists?
i saw some guy from england walk through w/ a guitar
Quote by Adam_G
I think it's appropriate for you to walk outside and get some sunlight and maybe a life

Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl annoying me on the bus.
Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"
Her:"What??! Noo!"
Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."
i understand not wanting to be seperated from your guitar, but how long are you gonna be in NY? are you sure it has to caome with you?
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
ya i was thinkin the snakes on a plane thing too
....../ `---____________|] ~~~bang!
...../_==o;;;;;;;;_____.:/
.....), ---.(_(__) /
....// (..) ), ----"
...//___//
..//___//
Quote by eviledge87
i understand not wanting to be seperated from your guitar, but how long are you gonna be in NY? are you sure it has to caome with you?

well i live in fl and im going to ny for 15 days but i wanna bring it to play for my grandparents cause they bought it for me and havent heard me play and they want to

plus 15 days without practice is a lot and im a beginner

also my friend has a drum set so we can play together for fun

Quote by thebrewfan
You might have trouble if you want to physically take it on the plane with you. You could check it in as luggage, I've done it many times, though I cringhe evertime I open the case for fear of what I might find. A hard case is absolutely essential.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by feenux258

Becasue of the different altitudes, al the higher altitudes the srtings might break form more pressure.
Quote by rush4life

yea i just bought a hard case if i check it should i lock it cause the lock doesnt seem like itl do much n e way

Quote by thebrewfan
Quote by CFlydn9
Becasue of the different altitudes, al the higher altitudes the srtings might break form more pressure.

ok good to know

Quote by thebrewfan
Quote by feenux258

The Boeing 777 is a big plane too - but it has small overhead storage compartments - a regulation hardshell guitar case will not fit.

If you could give me the name and model of the plane; I can confirm to you whether or not you will be able to take your guitar on as hand luggage.

Believe me, you don't want to take your guitar to the airport only to find it doesn't fit through the sizing portal and have to leave it at the airport just as much as you don't want to leave it with baggage handlers and conveyor belts.
Yeah, bring it on board. I did when I went to Poland for a month. Often, planes have larger closet kind of things which the staff can put your guitar in. Make sure to detune it or remove the strings, and wrap the guitar with that foil stuff (forgot what it's called, the stuff that's fun to pop ). I did that, and absolutely nothing happened to my guitar.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
I brought it in my guitar research gig bag and nothing happened. This was all the way from NY to Africa. High altitude? It takes a lot more than that to break good strings mate. Cheers.
Quote by AzureNight
Yeah, bring it on board. I did when I went to Poland for a month. Often, planes have larger closet kind of things which the staff can put your guitar in. Make sure to detune it or remove the strings, and wrap the guitar with that foil stuff (forgot what it's called, the stuff that's fun to pop ). I did that, and absolutely nothing happened to my guitar.

Surely taking all your strings of at once and leaving it like that would mess with the neck?

That's what i was always told, anyway.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
i have brand new daddrio (sp) string not sure the guage but they r very nice lol

a little on the soft side

btw its an acoustic electric

Quote by thebrewfan
Quote by GiantRaven
So who thought this was going to something making a joke about 'Snakes on a Plane'?

"Get these motherfucking guitars off my motherfucking plane!"

I've tried to bring my guitar on a plane, they didn't let me go through though. Dont know what to tell ya.
Wade in the water, child.
buy a crappy $80 dollar one and bring it with you
you told him to try to build bricks without straw
he asked you to build cities without bricks
Quote by meh!
Surely taking all your strings of at once and leaving it like that would mess with the neck?

That's what i was always told, anyway.

I left them on, just loosened them. It probably wouldn't unless it's a reeeeaally long flight.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
i bought my first acoustic in spain, when i took it back, the captain told me to put it in that closet where you hang jackets, i was lucky cuz this other kid brought it in the plane as hand luggage and it broke, true story btw
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
i think it depends on the airline. i read an interview with steve morse (dixie dregs, currently Deep Purple) and he said on recent tours they've been flying comercial flights. and it came to a shock they wouldn't let him take it as a carry on. something to do with size...

anyway this happening one time in the past he wasn't going to check his guitar in a gig bag (you know how they just throw things around). so he had to remove the neck and some hardware for transport.. so i'd call ahead of time to find out.. and if you have to check it make sure your using a solid case.
Quote by GiantRaven

Yep.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by AzureNight
I left them on, just loosened them. It probably wouldn't unless it's a reeeeaally long flight.

yeah, but taking a few minuted to detune and tune youyr guitar is better than spending like 8$ when you could have avoided the whole ordeal in the first place.
Quote by rush4life

Quote by Cobalt Blue
i think it depends on the airline. i read an interview with steve morse (dixie dregs, currently Deep Purple) and he said on recent tours they've been flying comercial flights. and it came to a shock they wouldn't let him take it as a carry on. something to do with size...

anyway this happening one time in the past he wasn't going to check his guitar in a gig bag (you know how they just throw things around). so he had to remove the neck and some hardware for transport.. so i'd call ahead of time to find out.. and if you have to check it make sure your using a solid case.

Remove the neck? Yeah... no. I doubt it.

If the item doesn't fit through the sizing portal or you're stopped at the baggage claim desk. Most airlines will offer you a gate check service - where the guitar is stored in the baggage compartment in the lower half of the fuselage by an individual person assigned to it, as opposed to a conveyor belt or baggage handlers throwing suitcases. So it's a safe option if it won't fit in the overhead compartment.

If he's a celebrity, they will have offered him a gate check - either that or he's too stubborn and dismantled his guitar, which I'm doubting.
i took my guitar with me to boston from virginia and they just held it at the front of the plane for me.. not overhead storage or baggage handlers.. yeah definately don't let the baggage handlers touch it
get a case with foam padding on the inside, or get insurance for your guitar, i dont like taking my guitar with me, people think im a terrorist with a huge bomb in my case
hue
alright thnx for the advice and i have insurance on my guitar and a hard case so mabey ill loosen strings toss some bubble wrap in there and lock it to be safe

Quote by thebrewfan
i brought my strat back from the USA on delta airlines, they let me carry it on board but only because i checked it out with them before the flight date.

i wouldn't put it in the cargo hold mainly because of security (theft). issues about pressure are total bollocks. low temperature is more of an issue, the strings would contract putting more compression on the neck but then the truss rod would contract also, so i don't know where you would end up.

take in the passenger compartment if you can.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
if you have a hard case, put it through with fragile baggage.
soft case: check with the airline, see if you can take it as carryon
can I worship you now? girls with hawks are fucking sexy.

as someone earlier in this thread said, go with one bat. HWAT.

I love you.
Page 1 of 2