know what I just realized?

Red House was released on Are You Experienced in 1967.
Texas Flood was released on Texas Flood in 1983.

Listen to the two songs consecutively and tell me theres no differences.

Which side of the line do you think Stevie Ray Vaughan is on, "heavily inspired by" or "stole from hendrix"?

The lyrics are even kinda similar...
http://www.inet.hr/~abubalo/lyrics/lyrics/red_house.txt
and
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/stevierayvaughan/texasflood.html
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Last edited by thefoldarsoldar at Jul 16, 2006,
heavily inspired. i always think that stevie ray was more inspired by albert king than hendrix, jsut more ppl know of hendrix so just persume stevie ray took from him
keep blues alive
Quote by young_is_god
heavily inspired. i always think that stevie ray was more inspired by albert king than hendrix, jsut more ppl know of hendrix so just persume stevie ray took from him

..I tihnk Hendrix was definatley most heavily inflluenced by Hendrix...

He used to sit and just solo over the top over Jimi Hendrix songs fr ages, things like that. You can really hear it in his playing, but meh. Never been a huge SRV fan.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by meh!
..I tihnk Hendrix was definatley most heavily inflluenced by Hendrix...

He used to sit and just solo over the top over Jimi Hendrix songs fr ages, things like that. You can really hear it in his playing, but meh. Never been a huge SRV fan.

Hendrix influenced himself?

EDIT: Besides, most blues songs sound very alike to one another.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
You can def. tell hear the Hendrix influence but on Stevie's slower songs there is a huge Albert King influence and a lot of Buddy Guy too. SRV's version of The Sky is Crying has a lot of Albert King type licks.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Well Albert King and Hendrix were both huge influences on Stevie Ray. However, the songs don't really sound that similar, the lyrics aren't really similar either.

The Sky Is Crying - aside from the lyrics - is pretty much exactly the same as Texas Flood though, which sucks because I hate listening to that song.

Besides, SRV didn't even write Texas Flood, it's just a cover. So the original would've probably come out around the same time or before Red House.
They sound kinda simalr but not even close to stolen.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Dude, do me a favor and go to Google. Search "blues song lyrics" or something of that nature.

Read a lot of them.

Read more of them.

You'll find that writing the blues is very simple, and many many many many songs sound the same because there's only so many things to say in 12 bars. This does NOT make any blues song stolen. There is a pattern, a formula, to writing blues lyrics. You can't say somebody ripped somebody else off...
Looking for my India/Django.
The two things that are most in common there is that Hendrix and SRV didn't write them. Anyway, Hendrix inspired pretty much every guitarist after him in some way. Anyone who claims they haven't been inspired by him in some way is a liar, or doesn't know it.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Quote by Encore_God
The two things that are most in common there is that Hendrix and SRV didn't write them. Anyway, Hendrix inspired pretty much every guitarist after him in some way. Anyone who claims they haven't been inspired by him in some way is a liar, or doesn't know it.

Hendrix did write Red House though.
Hendrix is one of the few guitarists Yngwie Malmsteen will admit to being influenced by. Anyway, if you look at Hendrix's stuff, like Voodoo Child (Slight Return), a lot of it is heavily influenced by or borrowed from other blues musicians, just "electrified" and moulded into his psychedelic style. Electric blues has been done for the last...60+ years, since the African American population moved en masse from the South to the meat packing plants of Chicago. All electric blues now is basically variations on a theme.
Hi, I'm Peter
the skeletons of most blues songs are the same. they just have varied lyrics and different solos.

the solos are what separates them all. everyone has their own style of playing, which makes the songs different.
its just like pop singers. they all have the same voice and lyrics, but the music is a little different.
:stickpoke It's Alive! AHHHHHHH!!!!
pac-man ate my stash

Founder of ZOSO Jimmy Page Fan Club __PM me to join

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
yeah, thats basically the reason i dont listen to SRV much. he's obviously phenomenal, but theres never a time that i want to listen to him that i don't want to listen to Jimi more. my favorite song with SRV is China Girl by David Bowie, and that's not remotely blues.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Hmm I'd say SRV is most influenced by Hendrix by his use of weird chords, and individual notes being the same is the fault of the scale that these guys playing in being somewhat limited. Granted, each was such a good player that such things usually didn't matter, but when you have a limited number of notes and are playing in the same key (I never thought these songs were in the same key, but whatever) then it's bound to sound similar.
Hendrix didn't write Red House, and Texas Flood was written in about 1960 by a bloke called Larry Davies.
Quote by CheckOutSerafin
Hendrix didn't write Red House, and Texas Flood was written in about 1960 by a bloke called Larry Davies.

I'm pretty sure Hendrix wrote Red House
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Yeah Hendrix worte it.

Phish - Waste
Quote by IrishBlues
You can def. tell hear the Hendrix influence but on Stevie's slower songs there is a huge Albert King influence and a lot of Buddy Guy too. SRV's version of The Sky is Crying has a lot of Albert King type licks.

That's because SRV covered Albert King's version of the song, and used alot lot of the same licks that King used in his cover of the Elmore James version.
Of course SRV was influenced by Hendrix, You can tell that just by hearing the types of licks he plays.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
I think the fact that SRV covered Little Wing, Third Stone From The Sun and Voodoo Child makes him a pretty big influence. Although I would never say he ripped him off, blues music is simple so you're likely to get similar sounding songs.
He did Manic Depression as well.

Phish - Waste
My friend has said that SRV placed his whammy bar on his guitar in a left handed way (so if someone played SRV's guitar left handed it wold be the right way up) because he was heavily inspired by Hendrix, who obviously is a left handed player, dunno how true this is though............

And I could swear that Hendrix wrote red house, I was looking at the sleeve for a hendrix album with redhouse on it and the writing credit said Jimi hendrix.