I have recently started playing the guitar and I am having 2 problems.
Firstly i find that when i try to place 1 finger over all six strings at once the sound is really bad and one or two of the strings don't ring at all.Does anyone have any tips on how to improve this?
Secondly when i am playing chords/power chords that take place on the 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th string, where you are not suposed to strike the 1st or 6th string,for example:
|---x---
|---x---
|---5---
|---7---
|---7---
|---x---

i always hit the strings you are told to avoid.How can i avoid doing this?

Thank You for taking the time to read this and any hellp that you may provide.
I believe that chord is backwards, I mean it should be 5 on the A string, 7 on the D and G

Anyway, to answer your question, basically you should just rest the under side of your fingers on the B and high E Strings, and you can just lightly touch the bottom E string with your thumb or first finger, anything will do really once you mute the strings
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
try moving youre index finger up and down to avoid the creases youll find youre spot where they ring clear use youre thumb straight behind to increase the pressure,if you only want to play the a string and avoid the low e lightly touch the tip of youre index too the low e this will keep it from ringing good luck
ibanez rocks
as always, practice makes perfect. also, i hit strings all the time im not supposed to hit, so i found ways to mute the other strings just incase i do hit a wrong string. it will come....
PWning N00bs Today!
...btw you pretty much never have to just barre across 6 strings anyway, usually other fingers will cover them...
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
Don't use the fleshy part of your index finger for barring, twist your finger a little so you use the bonier side. And try pushing harder.
i never have trouble with not touching those strings but if you do try playing the chord with you middle ring and pinky while using your index and middle of the picky to mute the 1st and 6th string