Sorry if this is in the wrong section, if it is admin please move it...

I've read about how you should press stand by like a min before you're gonna turn off your amp, my amp doesn't have that, I just press the power button when I'm gonna turn it off, is this bad for the amp? I'm guessing not since my amp doesn't have a stand by button, but I've read that you should press stand by, so this is confusing me
no only tube amps need to do that
your amp isnt a tube amp seeing as how it doesnt have a standby function
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
You probably have a solid state amp where there are no tubes. With tube amps you turn the standby on first to warm up the tubes then flip the power switch but for you and everyone else who has solid state amps, you can just turn it on and off like a light switch and not worry.
Then you dont have a tube amp.

If you would have a tube amp then you would have a stand by button. that is used before you play so the tubes heat up so you get the best tone of them
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
If you're amp is a tube amp (it has lightbulb type things visible in the back of it) then chances are, that it also has a standby switch.

When you turn on a tube amp you have to leave it in standby for about a minute so that the tubes warm up to their ideal operating temperature. You can also throw it into standyby if you're leaving your amp for a short time (like up to 15 minutes) to go grab a bite or something like that but to keep it prepared for when you come back.
When turning the thing off it isnt neccasary.

If you've got a solid state or a hybrid amp then theres nothing to worry about
What's the difference between solid state amps and tube amps? Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to stuff like this
Quote by BroDD
What's the difference between solid state amps and tube amps? Sorry, I'm a noob when it comes to stuff like this

Solid state amps use transistors and other solid state semiconductor based devices to amplify the sound.

Tube amps use vacuum tubes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube , and they also sound better and are more expensive that solid state amps most of the time. They also have a quality of being louder to our ears due to some stuff with harmonic distortion.
Quote by seljer
Solid state amps use transistors and other solid state semiconductor based devices to amplify the sound.

Tube amps use vacuum tubes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube , and they also sound better and are more expensive that solid state amps most of the time. They also have a quality of being louder to our ears due to some stuff with harmonic distortion.

What you just said.. was..... chinese to me... could you explain that in an easier way for a newbie?
Quote by BroDD
What you just said.. was..... chinese to me... could you explain that in an easier way for a newbie?

its the way the amps work. Its like driving a car with an regular motor in it or an electrical motor, both do the same thing but have different qualities.

Solid state amps use stuff that looks like http://www.audioworkshop.com.hk/order/LM3886.jpg and http://profesanxenxo.iespana.es/electrical/transistor.jpg to amplify the sound.
These are much more modern, much cheaper, much smaller and much more efficient at amplifying stuff. However we guitarists love distortion, and why these distort they do it in a fuzzy sharp kind of way that doesn't soung good (some people like to use them for clean sounds...though a few odd people have managed to get a good distorted sound out of them)

Tube amps use things that look like this http://www.mclink.it/com/audiomatica/tubes/img/12ax7.jpg to amplify the sound. They way they distort is much more "rounder" and more pleasing to the ears.
Last edited by seljer at Jul 16, 2006,
I won't make a new thread about this thing, I'll take it in this thread...

When I turn off my amp, it makes this sound.. just one short sound.. like.. hmm I can't explain what it sounds like but I get the same sound every time I turn the amp off, does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is this bad or should it be like this? Or should I turn off the volume before turning it off?
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously,
when you've swapped free will for faith, hope and pre-destiny?
Thats something to do with the way transformers work. Its normal.

Transformers work because of the change in the voltage so when you turn that amp off it goes down from 110V to 0V instantly. So to respond to that the other side generates a large amount of voltage as well for a split second. It shouldn't harm your amp in anyway.
^ Is that a popping sound?
I heard a circut breaker might be able to help with stopping that.
Not sure though.
Been away, am back
On my amps its as if you wereyou turn the up the volume knob (you hear a bunch of hum) for half a second and then its quiet,
Quote by seljer
On my amps its as if you wereyou turn the up the volume knob (you hear a bunch of hum) for half a second and then its quiet,

Ahhh. Mines different then. When i turn it off sometimes, you get a massive pop noise. I dont think its harmful to the amp. Its worked fine everytime it happens
Been away, am back
Yeah it's like a pop sound... so that's not bad? Should I turn off the volume before turning off the amp?
So how am I supposed to take anything you say seriously,
when you've swapped free will for faith, hope and pre-destiny?