So yeah, I have about 90 Dollars to spend at Musician's Friend..

I need suggestions as to what to do. Right now I have an Epiphone SG Special. Stock everything, except strings.

I'm looking to upgrade the pups, and going with 1 bridge pup would be fine with my for now, since that's the one I use the most. I play modern rock and punk rock.. What pickup would you suggest? I want nice distortion, something that allows notes to ring through clearly.. Anyone know of a humbucker at MF I could get that would allow for awesome distortion and good cleans?

TIA
DiMarzio Tone Zone
DiMarzio Evolution
DiMarzio PAF Pro.

In case you want something for the neck...try the DiMarzio Air Norton or the DiMarzio PAF Pro neck.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
^DIMARZIO FAN BOY
get a seymour duncan distortion or an INVADER
invaders kick ass!!!!
im a duncan boy.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
^ i tried an invader yesterday. I also tried a genz benz el diablo.

The invader is quite possibly the worst aftermarket pickup I have ever played. Cleans were awful. Distortion was muddy and generally crap-sounding.

Seriously, I thought the El-Diablo sucked until I tried a different guitar. With evos. and I'm no fan of evos. And the evos kicked ass compared to the invader.

What pickup brands can you get at MF? I'm assuming Dimarzio, Duncan, EMG? Any others?

What type of music do you like? I know you say you want good cleans and distortion, but what type of cleans and what type of distortion?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
MF hardly has any SD's. A tip from me is to not get pickups from big name dealers like MF. You'll get better results from small business dealers. You might have to pay more, but most of them have more options as well as good customer support.

Use that credit for a pedal or a year and a half worth of strings.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by danzig-_-
^DIMARZIO FAN BOY
invaders kick ass!!!!
im a duncan boy.

DiMarzio fan boy?
Actually no, I'd just call myself a guitar player that knows good tone when he hears it. Invaders are quite possibly the worst pickup Seymour Duncan has ever made. It's actually probably the worst purchase for the price. Hence the reason Tom Delonge used one. And Avenged Sevenfold.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i tried an invader yesterday. I also tried a genz benz el diablo.

The invader is quite possibly the worst aftermarket pickup I have ever played. Cleans were awful. Distortion was muddy and generally crap-sounding.

Seriously, I thought the El-Diablo sucked until I tried a different guitar. With evos. and I'm no fan of evos. And the evos kicked ass compared to the invader.

What pickup brands can you get at MF? I'm assuming Dimarzio, Duncan, EMG? Any others?

What type of music do you like? I know you say you want good cleans and distortion, but what type of cleans and what type of distortion?

I checked out clips of the GB, and researched it on ebay. Used ones start at 600 and have BINs set at 1000. :/ I don't think I'll be able to get a GB. I'll probably go with the Traynor. (Master volume as well as channel volume will be nice for the dorm room)

As for styles, the same stuff I listed in my tube amp thread. (Modern Rock, Punk Rock)

I'd use the credit on something else but.. IDK.. I'm really in the need of a pickup, and I'm short on cash. Plus, the nearest location that doesn't stock 100 watt Crate SS combos and Epiphone Specials is like 2 hours away. Music gear is scarce around here. I figure, if I can find the pickup I want at MF, why not just buy from there? O.o

Anyway... So yeah, a pickup that can deliver defined distortion, and nice/decent cleans. Cleans aren't as important as the distortion, as that'll be what I'm using the most.

Pickup brands available at MF:

DiMarzio
SD
Fender
Gibson

I was probably leaning towards an SD or DiMarzio
Im going to have to go with, of those brand choices...

Seymour Duncan Custom
or
Seymour Duncan Distortion (slightly worse cleans, but the destortion is very clear, defined, and crunchy.. )

If you want a comparison...

Distortion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BeslXrncPM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPt2Zoh8no

Custom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPyXRgYWzFU

I know it's alot more random (you have to take amps and the player into account) but you can hear the difference. The Distortion is a bit tighter, the custom is a bit more harmonically rich.
EMG 81/85 ROXORS....
just kidding.

I reccomend a Gibson 496R its a really hot ceramic pickup but also has great sounding cleans.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ ew if that's the one I'm thinking of, it's awful (the gibbo pickup).

i'd take a look into the dimarzio tone zone, super distortion (haven't tried) or norton (haven't tried) maybe.

Depends how much distortion you want, obviously.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i still say a year and a half of strings
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
^

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by danzig-_-
^DIMARZIO FAN BOY
invaders kick ass!!!!
im a duncan boy.

wtf? a duncan boy?
go dunk some donuts retard.
invaders suck.
dimarzio's steve special is designed for scooped mids, and boosted bass.
the dimarzio evolution sounds like a les paul on steroids.
Epiphone LP special II
-Duncan Designed pu's
Schecter c-1 Elite
-Neck:PAF Pro
-Bridge: Steve's Special
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Ibanez Weeping Demon wah
Peavey studio pro 112 65 watt
Ampeg 50 watt
wait i thought the GB El Diablo was an amp, is it also a pickup?
Quote by GBMan
It's about as loud as a pidgeon being crushed by a chair.

Guitars:
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Stratocustic
Austin Flametop Deluxe
Regal Acoustic

Amps:
Vox AD50VT
Peavey Rage 158
Quote by cowboybebop32
wait i thought the GB El Diablo was an amp, is it also a pickup?

aye, duncan make a pickup called the diablo (or el diablo, not sure which) as well.

and Lamborghini make a car...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the duncan pickup is duncan custom shop though
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ yup.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?