I have a friend who is going to start playing bass, and I am trying to help him decide what to get. He can spend anywhere between $200-400 on his amp/bass/accessories, but probably closer to about $300 or so. Where do we start? I know the Ibanez GSR-200 is a pretty good choice at only $200, plus we could probably pick it up used. What else is good in that price range? I was thinking of checking out rondomusic.net and looking at some of those Agile basses, does anyone know if those are any good?

My first suggestion to my friend was to get a cheap ass $40 amp so that he had something to practice on. And if he decided to get serious and start playing, he could drop some money on an actual amp. If we don't go that route, whats a decent amp to start out on? Preferably something in the $100-$200 range. And what about those $350 Fender 100 watt bass amps, are those any good for playing with other people?
-XKR
The basses at rondomusic are not Agiles (as far as I know Agile doesnt make basses, but I could be wrong) they are SX basses and yes they are very good for their price...However, I do not own nor have I ever played one, but on forums such as this one and Talkbass (a forum dedicated to everything about electric bass, upright bass, amps, etc) I have heard nothing but good things about them and their small price tags...And many of the guys on Talkbass.com who have talked highly of these basses are touring musicians who usually own basses that cost about $800+, so yea...Pretty much, they are great basses for their prices...

I was actually thinking of buying one of these when I got the money
http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb75.html
http://www.rondomusic.net/spjash.html

As for an amp, try any old small practice amp...I think you've got the right idea on the small amp bit...I recommend buying used since he'll probably outgrow it quickly or theres the chance he wont like playing bass...either way it would be better to get a small used amp, IMO...

And yes the Fender Rumble is pretty good for playing with a band (drummer, guitarists, vocalists)...but at that price range there are some better amps...
like this one
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Electric-Blue-15180-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=485037

Good luck
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
the bass from that second link to rondo looks so nice. shame im in uk
^x2 I've heard that they will ship to the UK.

Maybe someone knows how much it costs though because I dont.
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
I got my ESP viper for $300.

Its got a killer tone, and was worth every penny.

And i went from the cheap 15 watt fender amp to the 100 watt one. I like it, but its really big. If he goes with a fender amp, tell him to get one of the kickback ones.
Last edited by freakinsweet111 at Jul 16, 2006,
Get an Ibanez. You can get a good one for $250. Of course, I've always played an Ibanez so I'm kind of bias...anyway they sound great, look sexy, and lots of famous bands use them every now and then. I love my bass!

(Spend the money to get a brand new one...theres something special about buying a guitar or bass off the shelf knowing that no one has ****ed up the neck or the parts you can't see. Plus its shiny!)
Quote by XeNoCiDe730
^x2 I've heard that they will ship to the UK.

Maybe someone knows how much it costs though because I dont.

In the region of £50-70. I've spent time talking with Rondo Musics customer services because I was going to invest in a couple a while back.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.