I have been playing bass for about 3 years now. I never really had any interest in learning theory. Playing was just something that I did for fun in my spare time. Well, now I want to learn theory (as much as I possibly can). I am sick of telling people I play bass and in the back of my head I know that all I can do is look up tabs and occasionally learn a song on my own. I really want to learn everything I can about this instrument.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a good place to start at with theory and what exactly to do with it.

Thanks
I did, I didn't really see anything that helped me. I used the search bar, not the musician forum. Thanks and sorry
There are some good bass scales and modes books, I know. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory(which really isn't idiotic) taught me a lot about music theory all around, which is what you need to apply to your bass, there. The rest I think it technique. There isn't much real theory for individual instruments, so much as general rules of sound.
1, do not double post even if its different forums. Do not double thread.

2, to be fair, all theory is the same on every instrument. I'd recommend starting with the major scale, working your way through after knowing all the intervals and how to name them, then memorize basic chord shapes/triads, then to the natural minor scale, then the modes of the major will fall into place. From there you could very well be more knowledgable than most bassists.

There isn't any theory for individual instruments. Music theory is the same on all instruments. "Roles" and "how a bass should be played" isn't "bass theory"... that's just how you think it should be played. Music theory is the same on every instrument.

3, yeah sorry as much as I want to help you this should be closed due to the the double thread part.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!