I have been playing acoustic for 7 months now and I want to get an electric. I have no club where to start, but my price range for a guitar and an amp together is around $260.

I'm not looking for anything spectacular (I know that $260 isn't gunna get anything like that) just something for a bit of variation from the acoustic.

I would like to be able to downtune it to Drop C for a few metal songs, although am I right in thinking that this depends largely on the strings and not the guitar itself?

Thanks for any input
yeah about every electric guitar can be tuned down to Drop C, thin strings will feel a bit "floppy" in Drop C though...

$ 260 mmhh... I'd stay away from starter kits because they're mostly not worth it. I'd look into a cheap Ibanez of some sort (their cheaper models are good quality for such a low price), like a GAX or something. You could also look at a Yamaha Pacifica 112 or 012 or whatever number it is
I'm not sure about an amp... maybe a Roland Cube 15. I haven't got a clue about the price of it though.
if you want to downtune for drop c songs i suggest you get something with humbuckers.as for a guitar and amp combo i dont know anything that would be good in your situation but you could get a squire bullet special which is 150 CAD
Quote by JorisBlack
yeah about every electric guitar can be tuned down to Drop C, thin strings will feel a bit "floppy" in Drop C though...

$ 260 mmhh... I'd stay away from starter kits because they're mostly not worth it. I'd look into a cheap Ibanez of some sort (their cheaper models are good quality for such a low price), like a GAX or something. You could also look at a Yamaha Pacifica 112 or 012 or whatever number it is
I'm not sure about an amp... maybe a Roland Cube 15. I haven't got a clue about the price of it though.

the 15 watt cube is 95 usd
For seven months playing, a Squier strat pack will do you good. The thing is a good starter kit that includes a strat, an amp, and everything you need to start jamming out of the box
i would just get a new one as soon as you get a good feel for electric, and when the money comes in.

Strat pack=$270

Jason A.
Yeah those would give you what you need the pacifica is a good budget guitar

edit: No wait lol my bad wrong pacifica.. I was thinking of the 112
Last edited by Slash_metal at Jul 17, 2006,
Yeah the strat pack is wat I started with. It comes with an amp that u can use to start getting into using an electric. It's pretty good if your just starting and new to the electric guitar.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
My Ibanez GSA60 is an excellent beginner's guitar. You could probably get it for around $200.
Quote by cashewchaching
For seven months playing, a Squier strat pack will do you good. The thing is a good starter kit that includes a strat, an amp, and everything you need to start jamming out of the box
i would just get a new one as soon as you get a good feel for electric, and when the money comes in.

Strat pack=$270

Jason A.

yep strat pack will work, they are actually a pretty good cheap copy guitar
Quote by eyeownyu
yep strat pack will work, they are actually a pretty good cheap copy guitar

The strat pack sucks, if you absolutly need a starter pack, get the Ibanez one, its so much better
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
DONT GET THE FENDER PACIFICA 012 guitar.

1. the one u clicked is the wrong pacifica. its cheaper for a reason. u need to get the 112J
made of alder. its got a humbucker in the bridge and will help with METAL.
but its $200USD.

DONT GET THE FENDER FRONTMAN

2. its an "ok" starter amp for cleans but u wont be able to play ur type of music on it.

DONT GET THE CUBE 15.

3. it's not as good as the MICRCO CUBE. the micro is $30 more but has several usabe effects ull REALLY want. the cube 15 isnt as good an amp.

OK LETS REVIEW...

u need a guitar with a humbucker. so either a yamaha pacifica 112J,
http://www.music123.com/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar-i33950.music
$200USD

a dean evo for $99. or best yet...
http://www.music123.com/Dean-EVO-XM-Electric-Guitar-i130013.music

ibanez fixed bridge guitar.
http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-GAX30-Electric-Guitar-i159543.music
$160USD

u need an amp that will get u high gain and quality...
roland micro cube $125 USD.

http://www.music123.com/Boss-MicroCube-Battery-Powered-Guitar-Amplifier-i126107.music
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jul 17, 2006,
ok what's the advantage of a cube 15W?

there are no effects, the tone isnt better and u still cant hear it over drums.

so u get much more with the micro.
both are bedroom amps, but at least u get a dozen more functions with it.

if ur going for volume u jump up the the cube 30. not the 15.

thats why the 15 costs less. they know they need to discontinue it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by \m/metallica\m/
^ I didnt know that they didnt have effects or any of that I should do some research before talking

yeah, i mean it has gain. its just not as fun.
by the way i love ur attack cat.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by ProjectDark
The strat pack sucks, if you absolutly need a starter pack, get the Ibanez one, its so much better

i agree..but the ibanez pack isn't to grand. I started with that. Great guitar, sucky amp. It's an amazingly great guitar (for the price range), the tone and volume knobs only really have an off and on no 0-10 but that doesn't really matter to me, and it's really heavy but a good guitar. But.. the amp is pretty crappy, very crappy. you'll need a new tuner (mine died in a week), you'll need new cables (mine died in 4 days!), the strap sucks, the picks even sucked! so i got the pack, ended up putting another 70 some dollars to get a new cable, tuner, strap, and so forth, and the amp still sucks.

Dont get a starter pack