I've been playing for a while now on a no name practice amp, and I think it's time I upgraded.

I'm looking for an amp that is gig-worthy, and definitely loud enough for small clubs and bars, and can be heard with another guitar, bass, and drums. Preferably all tube, but if that's out of my budget, then the next best thing is fine.

I play a Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster.

The band that we're forming mainly plays just all out rock, but I don't need an amp with lots of distortion built in, I'd probably buy an overdrive or distortion pedal.

My budget is $450

I WILL BUY USED

But if I do, the shipping needs to be included in that $450.

Thanks,
Colin.
Last edited by Sink Colin Sink at Jul 16, 2006,
The Peavey Valveking (30 watts) is probably the cheapest tube amp that can do clubs, but even that is a little out of your budget if they aren't much cheaper in the US than here in the UK. The hybrid Vox Valvetronix range is very well reputed, you'll probably be able to afford one that's gig-worthy.
Love is not a victory march.
get a peavey valveking, they are in your price range, and all tube, and sound pretty good. they take a little tweaking to dial in a good sound sometimes though. and remember tube amps have alot of serviceing and upkeep costs, ie new tubes and amp tech fees. and tube amps are a little fragile compared to a ss amp so you cant just expect to plug it in and go all of the time, UG has a few columns about taking care of your tube amps, so id say they are required reading if you want to avoid braking them.
in don't know about all tube (combo amp) for 450.. if you looking for built in effects a Behringer AC-112 aint bad. it only has a pre-amp tube though. but it is gig worthy and will play over other intruments. probably not what your looking for though.
hot rod deluxes are awesome.

i play one and i love it. my only complaint is that you get some break up if you turn the volume all the way up on the clean channel.
i lost my virginity. can i have yours?

Member #18 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join

One nation, under a fictitious almighty power
i think a blues jr. with a OD pedals is great for rock as long as your not going into metal territory

or a used hot rod deluxe
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.

Quote by gunther_sucks
Hey you look kind of like me.

Except for the sexy man goatee, and kickass shades. And sweet guitar.

I'm jealous.
Thanks for all the fast responses.

There's a Fender dealer very close to where I live, and last time I was there, they had both a Blues Jr. and a Hot Rod Deluxe, so I'll be sure to try them out.

How would an Orange AD15 compare to the Hot Rod Deluxe?

EDIT: Looked up the prices on Orange amps, nevermind.
Last edited by Sink Colin Sink at Jul 16, 2006,
If you want a more edgey overdrive than the deluxe, then you could look into the peavey classic 30.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
A 10watt difference is almost nothing when it comes to volume, and i've gigged with an HRD, it was plenty loud for my school auditorium, so the classic 30 should be good to go.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
C30 is damn loud...all tube 30 is screamin....my recommendations are the Blues Jr., Hot Rod Deluxe, and the C30. Those are the amps in this area. I own the C30 and really really enjoy it, give it a try.
Quote by Sink Colin Sink
What about a Hot Rod Deluxe?

I saw some on eBay easily in my price range.

Great amps
dude get the hot rod. Its very very loud, the cleans are beautiful, and it takes to overdrive pedals really well. My hotrod plays awsome with my tubescreamer.
For the money check out Ampeg Reverberocket. 50w all tube, much like a hot rod deluxe. They can be found used for around $350-400, absolute money amps. You'd want an OD pedal for modern or hard rock.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
There's always the B-52 AT212, you might be able to squeeze one into your price range. The Fender and maybe an OD would do pretty good.
Hot Rod and an overdrive, or a Peavey Classic 30.

Also, look for a Laney VC30.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
One more persons vouching for the Peavey C30, I got mine for 320, that leaves some cash for other crap like booster pedals.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
As indicated by my avatar, I'm a huge fan of old Ampeg amps. Their more recent amps are really cool and decently priced too but you can find old ones from the 70's on Ebay at great prices pretty often. You could mostly likely get a VT-22 (100-watt combo, 2 speakers) or a VT-40 or VT-60 (40 and 60 watts, respectively, 4 speakers) combo amp there that would fit your budget, including shipping.

Either of these would probably suit your needs nicely. If you have a favorite distortion pedal, you'd me amazed at how good it will sound through one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150010371260&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180006627888&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

Here's some reviews of the VT-40:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Ampeg/VT-40/10/1

I have the head version of the VT-22 and I love it. I've been playing for over 20 years and have been through tons of amps. Mine has been modded somewhat and cleaned up but it only cost me $500 a year ago. I love it so much it replaced my $2000 Framus Cobra. VT-22's are 100-watt amps and EXTREMELY loud with a ton of clean headroom. Most do not have built-in distortion but they take pedals very well. They're perfect for jazz or blues and can easily do heavy music with the right pedal. The closest non-Ampeg amp I can think of to the VT-22 would probably be a Fender Bassman but I actually prefer the Ampeg's clean sound over it. They have an amazingly warm, crisp and distinct clean, and excellent reverb also. I don't think you can beat those amps for the money. Back in the day they were used by the Rolling Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Mistfits and they're still used by Steve Morse and by Josh Homme of Queens of the Stone Age. Good luck!
Last edited by fatgraymatt at Jul 17, 2006,
i would go with a peavey classic 30, great sounding amps
"i disagree, I play on my own and if I had to play through my avt for another minute I'd probably poke a fork into the input, with the hope of both electrocuting myself and destroying the amp in one fell swoop."
-Dave_mc

Best video ever
his budget is 450 ... The peavey will be more in your budget, but don't rush into buying a tube amp, you'll be better of with something more expencive that you REALLY like.
i have a peavey classic and its amazing

that being said there is not that much clean headroom, or i need new tubes lol

because i find with audiences of 1000+ people, if you are using clean stage volume isnt viable
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

Quote by Jack_Flash
What do you think of the Fender '65 Reissue Twin Reverb?

Apparently loads of people who own them, absolutely love them.
They're in a higher league than the Peavey Classics.
Try one out.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Apparently loads of people who own them, absolutely love them.
They're in a higher league than the Peavey Classics.
Try one out.

Remember to listen to everything RHCP says too!!

Yeah, I would recommend trying them.
I'd say classic 30. IMO, it destroys the hotrod.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.