i know there are a lot of pickup threads, but i'm not that good with pickup selecting...

I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard. My amp is a fender twin. i have my effects covered. I was wondering if there any better pickups than what come stock on the standards. i don't really have a reason for new pickups, but if i spent this much on a guitar, might as well make it a lil better.

i play any kind of music you can think of, but mostly, classic rock to modern heavy rock. but, i also play in my schools jazz band, so i need something that can do cleans well.

some pickups that look like would work from dimarzio looked like maybe an evo2 in the bridge and an air norton in the neck? from the duncan line, a jb in the bridge and jazz in the neck.

thanks in advance
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
try a dimarzio tone zone with a PAF pro great combo, but im not sure that you NEED them, how long have you been playing, and are you currently in a band? what genre?
Shut up, he told you everything you needed to know in the first post. You try and recomend a pick up when you can't even choose a guitar? Go away.

As for the thread starter, my opinion would be a Dimarzio Super Distortion. They play classic rock and heavy stuff very well. Many classic rock guitarists used these. They're my favorite pickup. If I had the money, I would put them in both my guitars.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

If you change the pups, you wouldn't notice a night/day difference. Burstbuckers are very good and you should keep em they get the job done for a large range of music types. Trying to play metal or hard rock through a fender twin is the problem. That is a clean amp and really works best in that way.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
yah i dont think you need new pups on your guitar, a gibson? nah.

try out some marshalls or peavey tube amps (DONT GET A MARSHALL MG!!!!)
well, if you say so, maybe i should just let play the burstbuckers. i have a keeley rat for the distortion. sure, its not dual rectifier heavy, but it gets the job done for me. i got this fender on a VERY sweet deal so i'm happy with it.

i still welcome any opinions

(oh, and i have played for 2 and a half years, play at basketball games, and play gigs in some coffee shops and such)
Quote by yorkshireterror
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
if you're gonna get new pickups, make sure you keep the old ones, as you might want to put them back on, and if you decide to sell it, its worth more with all original electronics. as for which pickups, many pickups are imitations of gibsons, slightly modified to have a "hotter" sound.
Quote by DunlopGuy
well, if you say so, maybe i should just let play the burstbuckers. i have a keeley rat for the distortion. sure, its not dual rectifier heavy, but it gets the job done for me. i got this fender on a VERY sweet deal so i'm happy with it.

i still welcome any opinions

(oh, and i have played for 2 and a half years, play at basketball games, and play gigs in some coffee shops and such)

yah. cool little gigs, just get a new nice tube amp, no pup change needed

Quote by Arlabester
yah. cool little gigs, just get a new nice tube amp, no pup change needed

um...i have a tube amp....
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by Arlabester
oh for overdrive, a marshall, again NOT AN MG

Im a very tolerant person. But sir.. you're so uneducated I could cry.

A Rat through a Twin sounds great (my first gig ever I did with that setup) for hard rock (though at the time I used it as an overdrive pedal for a blues solo, the rest of the set was clean).
Quote by TimmyPage06

A Rat through a Twin sounds great (my first gig ever I did with that setup) for hard rock (though at the time I used it as an overdrive pedal for a blues solo, the rest of the set was clean).

yeah that about sums it up there...
if you're still interested in new pickups, take a look at Seymour Duncans...I'm currently considering new pickups for my guitar, might even want to think about coil tapping your two humbuckers for a single coil, jazzy sound? just throwing out suggestions.
Quote by Arlabester
yah i dont think you need new pups on your guitar, a gibson? nah.

try out some marshalls or peavey tube amps (DONT GET A MARSHALL MG!!!!)

lol'd

just don't talk, you'll look smarter. no one will find out.
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Quote by SpIkE27Z
lol'd

just don't talk, you'll look smarter. no one will find out.

that makes no sense whatsoever, i hope you know that, but i just said, its a gibson you shouldnt need to change the pus, and for distortion, he should get a marshall, just not an mg, cos they suck
He has a fender tube amp...?

and it makes perfect sence, you're brain needs help.

seriously, I know people on this forum have had it nailed into their heads to tell people about amps when asking anything about guitars, but in some cases people actually have an acceptable amp. also, just because it's an OMGZLEIKGIBSON doesn't mean a pickup change wouldn't tweak his likings of it.

I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.